Kindle Paperwhite

if not yet mentioned, the paperwhite also has a very long lasting battery. It is one of the very few items i tag 'luxury' that i will take along with me on backpacking trips. It weighs just 6 oz without a case, can be easily read in bright sunlight, and has enough battery power to be read for a week without recharging.

Sitting in my lightweight backpacking chair with my kindle out in the great outdoors is about as good as it gets. :)

Kindle Reader Camping.jpg

Got a link to that deal? I have never bought one of these.

Kindle Paperwhite Signature Reader bundle:
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwhite-Signature-Essentials-including/dp/B09FNJZD68/

FYI, the Kindle Paperwhite Signature Reader without ads is $134.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-kindle-paperwhite-Signature-Edition/dp/B08B495319/

The wireless charging station is $29.99.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charging-Paperwhite-Signature-compatible/dp/B0952VWQWC/

The Kindle Paperwhite Signature Reader cloth case is $19.99 - $29.99. They also have leather covers in the same price range. If you go the route of buying separates make sure any cover you buy will work with the wireless charger.

The wireless charging station is cool, but you really don't need to charge your Kindle very often. I think I do about every 3 weeks and I read at least an hour per night. Also Amazon is touting that the battery in the Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition lasts up to 10 hours. So, you don't *need* the wireless charger. But it's really convenient to simply drop your Kindle on the stand to charge and not fuss around with wires.

Also, I sometimes use a wireless charging stand made for my phone as a support for my Kindle while I read in bed. The phone charging station is unplugged when I use it as a stand, but it allows me to read hands-free in bed. I suppose you could use the Kindle wireless charging station for this purpose as well.

Last edited:
I ordered the bundle with a leather (not fabric) cover. It might be slightly less expensive.

Look for trade-in options when you're ready to buy a new one. Usually you can trade-in your old Kindle for a discount on the new Kindle even if the old one doesn't work perfectly, and sometimes they increase trade-in values on Prime Day. A couple of years ago, I managed to stack up enough discount coupons, Prime Day deals and a trade-in to get a new Paperwhite for $6 out-of-pocket cost. It's been well worth the money. :LOL:

I keep my old one as a travel away from home backup or using outside. It's 9 years old it was starting to slow down a little which is why it got replaced

I keep my old one as a travel away from home backup or using outside. It's 9 years old it was starting to slow down a little which is why it got replaced
Mine is even older and when I last checked it was still working but does not show up as available to trade in on my devices list.
Today I'm going to pull out all my old Amazon devices and see what they're offering to trade them in.

I just looked at "My Devices" on my Amazon info page and my Kindle Paperweight is 5 years old. I'd like to buy a case/stand for it to make reading in bed more convenient but I don't think they have these that go back to Kindles that are as old as mine. I have not noticed any drop in performance. Possibly the battery is not lasting a long as before, but hard to tell since it goes for weeks at a time.

I have a Kindle Keyboard that I bought back in 2010. Always wanted a Paperwhite, and the price is reasonable.

I do have the iPad app as well, and inflation is rearing its ugly head so I'm loathe to buy more discretionary stuff. I can't think about it for too long or I'll miss the offer. I dunno. :ermm:

I have a Kindle Keyboard that I bought back in 2010. Always wanted a Paperwhite, and the price is reasonable.

I do have the iPad app as well, and inflation is rearing its ugly head so I'm loathe to buy more discretionary stuff. I can't think about it for too long or I'll miss the offer. I dunno. :ermm:

If you have any type of eye issues or lighting issues paperwhite to go...it's so easy on the eyes. I find I get more sensitive to blue light as time goes by,

I just looked at "My Devices" on my Amazon info page and my Kindle Paperweight is 5 years old. I'd like to buy a case/stand for it to make reading in bed more convenient but I don't think they have these that go back to Kindles that are as old as mine. I have not noticed any drop in performance. Possibly the battery is not lasting a long as before, but hard to tell since it goes for weeks at a time.

You're lucky. My paperwhite was not even 3 years old when the battery wore out... stopped holding a charge longer than 1-2 days max. I always kept wifi turned off during use (airplane mode.) Was so disappointed, as I wasn't a heavy user - maybe 1-2 hrs 1x or 2x a week. The warranty was only good for 1 year. I thought the device would last longer. I still use it, but have to charge constantly.

Not so eager to give Amazon more money for a new one when their old one crapped out so fast. I do love it though! I'll never go back to regular books again.

Last edited:
I wonder if there are recommendations on how to prolong Paperwhite battery life. Wireless charging is great but too easy to charge constantly.

When I got my Kindle Oasis two years ago during Prime days, I traded in my son's hand-me-down really old Kindle. I got a few dollars for the trade in, but even more valuable was the 20% off coupon to use on any newer Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=10825010011

Just asked him and it was one with a keyboard from 2010.

I also have the Kindle app on my ipad mini and sometimes I use it. But I prefer the Kindle device. The PAPERWHITE makes a huge difference. The lighting is better and I like to read in bed. When I'm done I just put it down next to the bed. If I was on my ipad I'd have to get up and plug it in to charge overnight. My Kindle charge lasts at least a couple of weeks

If you make a poll - Should W2R treat herself to a new Kindle? Yes/No My vote is YES!!

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
I love my Paperwhite, Ive had it a few years. I also have a 6th gen iPad. I love the Paperwhite to travel with, light wright, no worries about charging. I charge it before I travel. It fits in to my back pocket of my pants so I can read it as time permits.

I just looked at "My Devices" on my Amazon info page and my Kindle Paperweight is 5 years old. I'd like to buy a case/stand for it to make reading in bed more convenient but I don't think they have these that go back to Kindles that are as old as mine.

I did find a case with a stand that was made for my model Kindle. It's called an origami stand because you open the case and then fold the case cover along preset lines to create the stand. Portrait or landscape mode. Kind of a slick idea.

Got my Paperwhite SE, cover & charging stand. Easy to set up (of course).

The stand will be nice to have. I don’t expect the device will spend a lot of time on it, just when low or getting ready to be away for an extended period. You get a charging cable with the reader.

Back
Top Bottom