Kitchen Appliance Help

Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are currently remodeling our house. We do not need a new refrigerator, since it is not that old. It is an LG stainless steel. I have picked out a Bosch 800 series dishwasher. I am having a horrible time picking out a gas range that is freestanding. I had a Samsung picked out, until I read a few reviews about them catching fire. I liked an LG one until I read that the knobs have plastic in them and quite a few people had to get the knobs replaced at $75.00-$89.00 per knob and then those knobs cracked. I have not even started looking at microwaves that go over the stove and vent. I am not a shopper and I am getting so frustrated and have no idea what to get. We were wanting to get the convection oven.

So, does anyone have any appliances that they have had good luck with and like?

I am very happy with my LG appliances - front load washer and dryer, 2 refrigerators, a range/dual oven, even the microwave/hood that took 4 service calls to get the problem properly diagnosed and fixed.

From my experience, LG is the first choice, and everything else is way down the list.

No experience with gas, though, so don't know what to think about the control knobs.

So, does anyone have any appliances that they have had good luck with and like?

Not really.

Bought a few 3 to 4 years ago. The Whirlpool fridge is great. But...

The Samsung over the range microwave has an "SE" error. This is a huge problem and all over the internet. The cause is cheap electronics. Disappointing to see it after 2.5 years.

My GE range has a ghost in the machine and resets at whim every now and then.

Both frustrating errors. It is hard to recommend anything. The electronics are too fragile.

Bought all new appliances two years ago from Sears. Not all same brand. Love the kenmore fridge, dishwasher, wine chiller. Have had some problems with the kenmore stovetop. The frigidaire range and ice maker have been a nightmare. Bought Sears extended warranty and it has been even more difficult. I am on a first name basis with the service guys. Whatever you do don't buy from Sears and whomever you do buy from- get the extended warranty. Appliances aren't made for the long term IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've been very happy with my Bosch dishwasher (10 yrs old) and Bosch stovetop (2.5 yrs old). Both got very high ratings in Consumers Reports.

We are also doing some remodeling and i dread having to select new double ovens, fridge and washer, dryer. I will be going with new Bosch dishwasher and stovetop is staying.

I would be very interested in knowing what you selected and why.

Bought all new appliances two years ago from Sears. Not all same brand. Love the kenmore fridge, dishwasher, wine chiller. Have had some problems with the kenmore stovetop. The frigidaire range and ice maker have been a nightmare. Bought Sears extended warranty and it has been even more difficult. I am on a first name basis with the service guys. Whatever you do don't buy from Sears and whomever you do buy from- get the extended warranty. Appliances aren't made for the long term IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This. We purchased a very expensive Kenmore Elite fridge that died a week after it was delivered. It took Sears almost a MONTH to repair it. I've NEVER had such an issue with service. We have a Samsung range (elelectric) and built in microwave that has worked flawlessly for about a year. Our dishwasher is a Whirlpool that refuses to dry the dishes...I think it's designed that way though.

I'd love to have my Dad's Lady Kenmore appliances he had installed in his home when it was built in 1973...but he's still using them. He finally had to replace his two water heaters when they hit 35 years of age!

They certainly don't make things like they used to.

I have heard that if you need service, Home Depot is the way to go, although I've never had to call them.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I'd start with Consumer Reports, as someone mentioned above. Nothing wrong with asking here, but any of us could have a good or bad experience with any brand, that may not be representative at all. Best of luck...

We replaced all five kitchen appliances during a full remodel Summer 2013, and relied on CR for every selection. One year doesn't prove anything, but we have no regrets on nah appliances we bought. Time will tell.

And Kenmore isn't a brand, they are all rebrands from various manufacturers. I'd do the research on any specific Kenmore appliance to find out who built it and research that manufacturer before buying.

Last edited:
We remodeled our kitchen two years ago with all stainless steel LG appliances. The dishwash has no knobs, all touch control, and by far the most quiet one I have ever heard.

We replaced all of our kitchen appliances in a full kitchen remodel about five years ago. Bought high end Kitchen Aide and Thermador models. About $10K total. But, after deciding on what we wanted by visiting local outlets, we bought everything online. Saved several thousand dollars. Took several weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We bought an Electrolux range, Kitchen-aide dishwasher, GE microwave and Samsung refrigerator five years ago when we remodeled and they have all been great. We did our research on Consumer Reports and weren't let down.

How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst

We replaced all of our kitchen appliances in a full kitchen remodel about five years ago. Bought high end Kitchen Aide and Thermador models. About $10K total. But, after deciding on what we wanted by visiting local outlets, we bought everything online. Saved several thousand dollars. Took several weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait.

Remodeled kitchen earlier this year, bought Kitchen Aide appliances on sale locally, no issues so far with any of them, dishwasher is super quiet

"How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst"

With the exception of a gas cooktop, I installed them myself. I would have installed the cooktop as well, but we didn't previously have a gas line in the kitchen. I hired a plumber to run the new line and install the cooktop.

Sigh. I was afraid of that. Mr. A. and I would not even be able to bring most items into the home, let alone install them. I imagine it would erase most of the on-line savings if we have to arrange separate installation.

Amethyst

"How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst"

With the exception of a gas cooktop, I installed them myself. I would have installed the cooktop as well, but we didn't previously have a gas line in the kitchen. I hired a plumber to run the new line and install the cooktop.

Sigh. I was afraid of that. Mr. A. and I would not even be able to bring most items into the home, let alone install them. I imagine it would erase most of the on-line savings if we have to arrange separate installation.

Perhaps not. He said he'd saved "several thousand dollars" by buying online. Those would have to be pretty complex installations to cost that much.

I'd start with Consumer Reports...
+1
I am also "not a shopper", and so I just take my chances with CR's recommendations. It's sometimes a pain, though, because the models they test are not always available.

Been pretty happy with my GE Profile range cooktop combo.
And my GE Profile is giving me problems. My bigger gripe is that since it is intermittent, they were not able to fix it, despite replacing a bunch of stuff. I should have stood on my head and demanded a new appliance, but I had stuff going on (still w*rking) and didn't have time. They also wanted me to replace my house wiring first. Really? So, I live with the intermittent reset. Means we have to baby-sit while baking.

+1
I am also "not a shopper", and so I just take my chances with CR's recommendations. It's sometimes a pain, though, because the models they test are not always available.

That's the problem with my Samsung over the stove microwave. Slight model differences introduced a problem. A very similar appliance was highly rated by CR for reliability. This one is the pits.

Now, the internet has lit up saying Samsung is taking care of all people with the problem, regardless of appliance age. I don't have time to wait for a repairman again, so I fixed it myself by adding insulation on the shorting wires.

Hmmm, I think the theme here is that retired people shouldn't have a problem because you can sit around and deal with all these repairmen. Gives you something to do. :)

Whatever you decide, make sure to pay for it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Manufacturer warranties are quite skimpy these days. Our fridge was only 12 months and when it needed some expensive repairs after 18 months were were glad we had the credit card extended warranties. I got a $600 check back from my credit card company.

Whatever you decide, make sure to pay for it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Manufacturer warranties are quite skimpy these days. Our fridge was only 12 months and when it needed some expensive repairs after 18 months were were glad we had the credit card extended warranties. I got a $600 check back from my credit card company.

Thanks for the reminder. I've made a note on this as we complete our remodeling. Lots of appliances still to buy!

It looks like I will be going to the library to do some research using Consumer Reports. I really appreciate all of the responses so far. Appliances are not what they used to be. If we buy the stove and microwave ourselves, then I will have to remember to use a credit card that doubles the warranty. Right now we are ordering the materials through our contractor and he orders them through Lowes. He gets a break and he is passing part of it on to us, or so he says.

Keep the appliance recommendations coming, especially for stove and microwave.

I don't know what "level" of appliances/kitchen you are looking for. For a strict "bang for the buck" kitchen, I would:
1) Avoid the combo microwave/hood unit. Hoods do a better job of evacuating moisture, and when the microwave dies (they do--about 5 years of use) replacing this type is a lot pricier than a regular countertop unit. If you want the built-in look or want counter space, just build a shelf for the microwave in place of a cabinet.

2) Gas stove: I would seriously consider a very simple unit. The stuff that goes wrong with these is the electronics. Does anyone really use all the fancy features (delay start time? Really!?). If I could make it look right,a 1960s era stove would probably be more reliable and have all the features I truly need.

I don't know what "level" of appliances/kitchen you are looking for. For a strict "bang for the buck" kitchen, I would:
1) Avoid the combo microwave/hood unit. Hoods do a better job of evacuating moisture, and when the microwave dies (they do--about 5 years of use) replacing this type is a lot pricier than a regular countertop unit. If you want the built-in look or want counter space, just build a shelf for the microwave in place of a cabinet.

2) Gas stove: I would seriously consider a very simple unit. The stuff that goes wrong with these is the electronics. Does anyone really use all the fancy features (delay start time? Really!?). If I could make it look right,a 1960s era stove would probably be more reliable and have all the features I truly need.

Very good points!

I never understood the microwave/hood idea. Sling an electronic high-power device that needs cooling air to stay alive, over the hottest greasiest fumes area in the kitchen, and also crunch down on the packaging to make it all fit. Garbage!

Unfortunately, builders have been creating this mess all over the country.

I chuckle at the oven "delay start time". I couldn't see how someone would use it... put a casserole in the oven right before leaving for work, have it sit there all day (eek!), then have it start cooking while you are not home yet (eek again!), so it is "done" when you walk in the door? Does it come with a free stomach pump, or it self-dials the fire department? I'll never understand.

Last edited:

That's a great idea! Just one problem. For those of us with small kitchens, it is a huge space saver.

$400 every 5 years is a lot cheaper than spending $48k to blow out a structural wall and remodel my kitchen.

That's what I seriously considered a few years ago. But being LBYM, I chose a simple refresh instead of an extensive remodel.

But you are right. If you have the room -- and heaven knows most recent houses seem to -- then separate the functions.

But have some mercy on those of us living in 70's style kitchens. :)

Back
Top Bottom