Let's see how far reaching this forum is ? Where do you live and at what age did you

Just west of Minneapolis - first post also - my DW wants me to retire tomorrow but I will take the plunge early 2019 when I turn 57.

Welcome! This is a great community, I've been here more than ten years and what I've learned here has literally been like winning the lottery.

Los Angeles area, still working, planning on ER at 50, in 2 years or so.

Metro Detroit. Retired at 57
one week ago!

I find it somewhat amusing that you and I both were specific as to precisely where in CT we live, when the whole state is only 50 miles north to south and 100 miles east to west. In some states, we'd count ourselves as neighbors.

Hmmm. On reflection, NYEXPAT and I both live in Peru... Neighbors I suppose, but 3770 miles apart. Go figure... :facepalm:

Northeast Ohio. DH retired at 55. The rest is in my signature.

The original Utrecht, The Netherlands.

And part of my mind lives in the New Zealand. One day, one day ... maybe ..

FI since a few years, still entertaining myself (now with artificial intelligence) in what some would call work.

New York City, retired in October 2008 at 46, P.S. im tired of paying 10 % of my dividends. interest and capital gains, time to get a Florida address

South Dakota wouldn't do it for you? :cool:

Being an introvert and tired of dealing with heavy traffic, when I started researching places to retire to I went to the Census Bureau's web site to look up what state had the lowest population per square mile. That state was North Dakota. Then I went to NOAA's web site and looked up the climate there. OMG! People actually live in those conditions? Not me!:hide:

Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska all have lower population density.

They also all have their own charms.

Oh of course. In a strictly academic sense I realize that there are people who actually like cold weather. I will never understand it though. Here today it is 80° F and I am wearing a flannel shirt. In North Dakota or most any northern state I would suffer greatly and then die.

A good friend of mine is the exact opposite. I've never seen anyone suffer in hot weather like he does.

I'm in western Washington (the state), am 51 and planning to leave paid employment at age 52. Only staying to provide DD with health insurance until she is 26.

Retired at 53 in July 2015 in Atlanta. DH followed in Jan 2016 after we sold our house and gave everything away. Since Feb 2016, we have been traveling nomads. Currently traveling in SE Asia, no base yet and having a ball!

Back
Top Bottom