Life changes

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
Had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. I’m in my early forties, thankfully I recognized it and caught it early. Had one coronary stent placed.

At the same time, thanks to some stock picking, I have been lucky enough to double our retirement assets this year. I have recently sold most of the holdings to lock in the gains. Should be back in index funds for the most part soon.

I enjoy my job for the most days and don’t have enough to retire yet.

Feeling very weird lately, a lot to process at the same time.

Haven’t posted much lately here but always enjoy all of your great posts and thoughtful replies.

Sorry to hear that news but so glad you are doing fine! Glad you are doing well towards your way to FIRE.

I had a heart attack at 42. At that time, working a high stress job ~50 hours per week, going to grad school at night (near full time) while in the Army Reserve, Father of a special needs son. Zero exercise. Usually ate at BK drive through 2X daily. Not hard to see what was coming, huh? :(

Now 62. Walk 3-6 brisk miles most days. Keep the weight within 10 pounds of ideal. Enjoy my red wine most nights. Watch your health and money. They are both very much "mutually inclusive" for a good retirement, as one without the other is a rather dour future

Best in your journey!

Had a heart attack 2 weeks ago. I’m in my early forties, thankfully I recognized it and caught it early. Had one coronary stent placed.

At the same time, thanks to some stock picking, I have been lucky enough to double our retirement assets this year. I have recently sold most of the holdings to lock in the gains. Should be back in index funds for the most part soon.

I enjoy my job for the most days and don’t have enough to retire yet.

Feeling very weird lately, a lot to process at the same time.

Haven’t posted much lately here but always enjoy all of your great posts and thoughtful replies.

Everyone I know who has been through that experience got the message loud and clear and started taking much better care of themselves. I'm sure you will too, so look at it as a new beginning and you'll be in better shape than you ever were before. :flowers:

As others have posted, a key to ER if that is in your plans is to have enough money and enough health.
Everything else usually can be dealt with.
You mentioned feeling weird lately.
If there is anything else your internet family can assist in this area, let us know.

Anecdotal evidence says "Do the right thing, now, and reap rewards later."

Dad had a heart attack around age 51 (I was a toddler).

His own father had died of a massive stroke at 55.

Acc to family legend, Dr. told Dad, "If you don't want to go the way your father did, you need to lose weight and quit smoking." (This was back when "everybody smoked).

Dad promptly quit cold-turkey and lost 20 pounds.

He lived to be 87.

Take care, and good luck!

Life changes indeed.
OP--glad you made it through, the weird feelings you are experiencing could be the result of facing your own mortality.
Prayers for continued good health to you.

My dad had a major heart attack in his mid 50s. He quit smoking and started walking for exercise, and retired as soon as he was able to at 62. Still going strong at 85.

Thanks everyone,

My grandfather died at 50 from a heart attack. Other than that my only risk factor has been high cholesterol.

I started on repatha injections the day after my heart attack, the nurse said that they are miraculous in reducing cholesterol.

I did stop drinking diet soda cold turkey [emoji854]

Started cardiac rehab yesterday and I am excited to get back exercising!

At 54, I have a new pacemaker from repeated bouts of CHF that was brought on by a past use of a cancer chemotherapy drug Adriamycin. It makes you think about longevity, and the important things in life.

With all of my ailments, I am still working full time in a prototype lab, and operating our 10 acre farm which includes cutting firewood, slinging bales of hay, and doing all the DIY carpentry, and repair jobs.

I had a heart attack at 49 (4 stents).

Watch out for the awe f%$k its. They hit me hard. I was in incredible shape. Powerlifting competitively, running 5k's, biking. 195 lbs @ 12% body fat. I was eating like a pro athlete. I was a hulking adonis. I tired to maintain that after the heart attack and had no medical limits. That lasted about 6 months and then I started eating whatever I wanted, gained 55 lbs, stopped all activity. Just now getting back into shape again.

I had a heart attack at 49 (4 stents).

Watch out for the awe f%$k its. They hit me hard. I was in incredible shape. Powerlifting competitively, running 5k's, biking. 195 lbs @ 12% body fat. I was eating like a pro athlete. I was a hulking adonis. I tired to maintain that after the heart attack and had no medical limits. That lasted about 6 months and then I started eating whatever I wanted, gained 55 lbs, stopped all activity. Just now getting back into shape again.

You have quite a perspective & it's very powerful. Being in great shape didn't keep you from having a heart attack but maybe it kept you from dying of it. And unlike some people who think exercise is something other people do, you know on a personal level that you're capable of committing to a day-in, day-out lifestyle of regular exercise & healthy eating - & you also know that when you do that, it will change your body & how you feel about yourself. You know this because you've done it. So, do it again.

As for looking like a Greek god, for most of us, for most of our lives, it's all relative. I bet you can still look and feel like quite a hunk!

You have quite a perspective & it's very powerful. Being in great shape didn't keep you from having a heart attack but maybe it kept you from dying of it. And unlike some people who think exercise is something other people do, you know on a personal level that you're capable of committing to a day-in, day-out lifestyle of regular exercise & healthy eating - & you also know that when you do that, it will change your body & how you feel about yourself. You know this because you've done it. So, do it again.

As for looking like a Greek god, for most of us, for most of our lives, it's all relative. I bet you can still look and feel like quite a hunk!

Great insight. My cardiac doc was amazed that I had no heart damage. He said my powerlifting made my heart strong as an ox. And the cardio helped a lot. So I would have probably been dead if I had not been in great shape. Had 80-90% blockage on the 3 big arteries. The artery that caused the heart attack was 100% blocked but was smaller. I got very lucky.

Many people are inclined to have inherited heart problems.
And many people today (more than will admit it) take illegal drugs which cause heart problems like arrhythmia. My brother in law died of drug overdose this way.

My doctor got a treadmill and a heart monitor and included EKG's and stress tests on yearly physicals. That was virtually the end of heart attacks coming out of his office as he discovered problems before they're mortal. He discovered I had a small blockage, and now I'm seeing a cardiologist yearly--and having tests about every 3-4 years. Yearly physicals are very, very important, especially to those having family history of heart issues.

My dad went in to the cardiologist for shortness of breath/dizziness at age 58. The same day, he had 5-way bypass surgery. He never returned to w$rk. He settled on less travel, and less savings, in exchange for a lower stress life. 24 years later, he's still going strong, but is a bit low on funds.

Everyone I know who has been through that experience got the message loud and clear and started taking much better care of themselves.

Same thing here, after my "almost heart attack" five years ago when I had two overlapping stents installed. The LAD was 90% blocked and the tip-off was shortness of breath when mowing the lawn on a hill. At rest I felt fine.

So yeah, some major lifestyle changes were made after that.

I forget who said it but it's a classic case of "If I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself".

I forget who said it but it's a classic case of "If I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself".

Others said it earlier but when Mickey Mantle said it in his final years, when his liver was shot, it really resonated. He smoke and drank heavily for most of his life, believing he would die by his mid-40s like most of the men in his family. He made it to 63.

Do plenty of things that are bad for me. Equal number of things that are good for me. Net result is zero. Most things are hereditary of which I take medication. Figured I'd have a heart attack by now (64). Have cheated that so far. I have several friend with major heart attacks prior to 60. Every one of them has gone back to their previous lifestyle. One was paddled three times in the ER and still 70 lbs overweight. Miraculous he's still alive.

Serious cancer @age53, retired. Fifteen years ago, high blood pressure, bad blood tests, arthritis, periodic colds, digestive problems. Worried about the future.

Now in 84th year: asymptomatic Afib, but... perfect blood test (CBC), and BP of 120/65, completely normal digestion, no colds or sickness in the past 10 years, no arthritis and feel better and happier than ever.

Statistical life expectancy now 91.6 years. Looking forward to beating that.

Wish you the best. Just a blip in the long haul. Makes us appreciate life more, and gives an incentive to get rid of bad habits.

:dance:

I had a heart attack at 42. At that time, working a high stress job ~50 hours per week, going to grad school at night (near full time) while in the Army Reserve, Father of a special needs son. Zero exercise. Usually ate at BK drive through 2X daily. Not hard to see what was coming, huh? :(

Now 62. Walk 3-6 brisk miles most days. Keep the weight within 10 pounds of ideal. Enjoy my red wine most nights. Watch your health and money. They are both very much "mutually inclusive" for a good retirement, as one without the other is a rather dour future

Best in your journey!

You're smart, Badger, and smarter with experience. I'm glad you're feeling good these days. :)

Musician Eubie Blake was another who echoed that thought.

Had heart attack #2 a couple of weeks ago.

It has been really hard on my wife.

Thankfully no major heart damage.

Nothing really profound to say.

So many others are so much worse off during this crisis

I wish the best for you. Hope you can reach early retirement sooner than later.

Wishing you the best in your recovery.

DH megacorp had mandatory physicals at the headquarters every year. A nurse came in, took blood, checked BP, asked health questions etc. After blood sugar check, nurse called DH and said we need to take this again, ASAP. His blood sugar level was close to 400. Like syrup.

An immediate Dr visit set up, we went in together. Dr said that those results are like having a major heart attack. He went on insulin then metformin to monitor. Started walking several miles/day, diet and changed his lifestyle. Became conscience of stressful situations and handled them better.

He's off metformin but will always be considered a diabetic. It's on his health record forever and is considered a pre existing condition even though he's healthy and active today. Cholesterol a bit high. It's like a slap in the face and happens so quickly. TG we had great HI and keep it a top priority in our older years.

Back
Top Bottom