Marriage Records

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can anyone suggest a site that provides marriage license info?

How to get one (because you want to get married, perhaps)?

or

How to find existing marriage records (for genealogy, perhaps)?

For the former, contact your county courthouse. Number should be in the phone book under the government listings.

For the latter, I think ancestry.com has that kind of stuff scanned in from the old county records in many places.

2Cor521

Many counties have online public records. Look for Clerk of Courts or a Public Search or Recorded Documents. If it's a site that asks for a sign-in often there is a "guest" option to login without having an account.

If you want to know if someone's been/still is married, you can go to a site like intelius.com and for $40, get marriage, divorce, criminal background check, etc.

If you want to know if someone's been/still is married, you can go to a site like intelius.com and for $40, get marriage, divorce, criminal background check, etc.
yeah...that's the ticket.

Sorry my original post was so vague. I was looking to find out if someone is legally married and I realized my state wouldn't have the license on file if it took place in another state. I tried ancestry.com and it appears to be based on user info.

Thanks

I think we need more details.

I think we need more details.
It's a secret.
I did find the individual on intellus.com...thankyouverymuch. It was very easy to verify that it was the correct John Doe, but it costs $50 and I am not ready to move forward.

It was very easy to verify that it was the correct John Doe, but it costs $50 and I am not ready to move forward.
You are a man, and you are trying to establish whether a certain John Doe is married?

I am disappointed; I thought it was a Jane Doe that you bumped into in a used book store in the Village while looking for Gogol 1st editions, you took her out for drinks and you immediately fell in love with her.

But just some property deal, not much romance there. :(

Ha

When my older brother started doing family history research, he was unable to find any record of my parent's marriage. So, maybe what people have been calling me for years, is true. :LOL:

You are a man, and you are trying to establish whether a certain John Doe is married?

I am disappointed; I thought it was a Jane Doe that you bumped into in a used book store in the Village while looking for Gogol 1st editions, you took her out for drinks and you immediately fell in love with her.

........ :(

Ha
Damn...I guess it's not secret anymore........

I have a friend who did background checks on the women her son dated. Not surprisingly he and his now-wife live several (thousand) miles away from his mother.

Last edited:
Feever, I knew a girl way back when who did background checks like that on prospective dates. She was from a wealthy family and did not intend to date anyone who expected her to work or anything silly like that. She got the man she deserved, the gold digger! He bought her prestigious family name in the deal.

When I was single I dated a guy a couple times who turned out to be married. Because of the duplicity he was dumped in a nanosecond, and I shared this with the person who introduced us.

Hey, I checked out a guy with the parents of a classmate who was his former employer. Got a thumbs up and married him.

Sometimes checking someone's background avoids a lot of heartache.

Back in the '60's, my Dad rented office space to a certain branch of the armed forces. He always became a fishing buddy of the recruiter, in small part to get background checks on the flurry of boyfriends that my stunningly beautiful older sister attracted "like flies to sh*t" as he so delicately put it. I was the stick-in-the-mud bookish sister...few admirers to bedevil him.

Back in the '60's, my Dad rented office space to a certain branch of the armed forces. He always became a fishing buddy of the recruiter, in small part to get background checks on the flurry of boyfriends that my stunningly beautiful older sister attracted "like flies to sh*t" as he so delicately put it. I was the stick-in-the-mud bookish sister...few admirers to bedevil him.

And now 40 or 50 years later look at you now !

Your sister has been married six times (including that biker ex-con with the scar on his face). But you, the sensible one, played it straight and now you are ready to collect your well deserved retirement prize.

Justice after all !

And now 40 or 50 years later look at you now !

Your sister has been married six times (including that biker ex-con with the scar on his face). But you, the sensible one, played it straight and now you are ready to collect your well deserved retirement prize.

Justice after all !

Actually, Big Sis did just fine. She has been married for the last 37 years to the same fellow (her first and only husband). He was passing through town on his way to Groton, CT (was in the Navy) and my best friend in high school was his cousin so Sis met him by way of introduction. She was sporting an engagement ring within two weeks of their meeting and married less than 6 months later. She ditched her less desirable swains in short order.
And I'm still working while she has long been a lady of leisure! What does that tell you:LOL:

I must say, although your more accurate rendition of events is good, I kinda like MasterBlaster's version, too! :)

Yes, indeed! MasterBlaster's version is certainly much more colorful. I can assure you that if some scar-faced ex-con had surfaced in my sister's love life back in her salad days, Dad would have probably murdered them both. I think the recruiter did turn up one fellow she met at a dance who had "a record". Sis had a hidden school ring from a prestigious prep school that this fellow had given her that Dad surmised, when he found out, was from a pawn shop. I cannot tell you the shouts and drama that this produced in the house, and Sis was grounded for a very long time. I chose to go away to college at some distance.

WhoDares, that is a great "window" into your Dad's way of handling his daughters. I wish I had such great stories from my own teen dating years, but my dad seemed to ascribe to the "don't ask, don't tell" method of teen-rearing.

I did date a (much older) merchant marine when I was 16, though, and it is a pretty good thing Dad never found out, because despite the laissez faire methods he employed most times, I'm pretty sure he'd have murdered him in much the same way of your dad. :)

Thanks, still chuckling over his clever friendship with the recruiter! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom