Mary Ann, Mary Ann, Mary Ann

Mary Ann was allowed to bounce around in her short-shorts on Gilligan’s Island while Rob and Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show had to sleep in separate single beds. I guess that 1960’s audiences were not supposed to ask how little Ritchie Petrie was ever conceived with this parental sleeping arrangement. :fingerwag:

Yeah, but you didn't see anyone's belly button did you? :(

Cheers!

Mary Ann was allowed to bounce around in her short-shorts on Gilligan’s Island while Rob and Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show had to sleep in separate single beds. I guess that 1960’s audiences were not supposed to ask how little Ritchie Petrie was ever conceived with this parental sleeping arrangement. :fingerwag:

But Mr. and Mrs. Howell slept on different cots :).

So, has Mary Ann's "Friend", who is running the GoFundMe page, been sufficiently vetted?

I see that there is a Mary Ann Facebook page acknowledging him, but who says that he doesn't control the FB page?

Seems like, potentially, an easy way to get a quick 100K for a clever scammer.

Nostalgia + Cuteness + A "Chance" to Personally Help could combine to have the making of a really good con.

Just sayin'.

-gauss

Last edited:
A pretty face has more lasting power.

april-bowlby-people-in-tv-photo-u4

I'm pretty sure a pretty face has a deleterious affect on lasting power.

I've never been much of a fan of GoFundMe. This is not helping.

And then there is news of the couple and the homeless man. This has turned into a mess. Sueing going on. Cars being towed away by the police, etc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...fundme-funds-couple-home-searched/1221075002/

Money makes people do strange things. In this situation, not sure if a case of no good deed goes unpunished or who's playing who?

Maybe Gofundme should have some type of escrow thing if sums get in the greedy territory.

That said, I'm a sucker. I want Dawn Well's Gofundme amount to reach the allotted goal. Still believe in the world of scammers, there are good people wanting to help.

So, has Mary Ann's "Friend", who is running the GoFundMe page, been sufficiently vetted?

I see that there is a Mary Ann Facebook page acknowledging him, but who says that he doesn't control the FB page?

Seems like, potentially, an easy way to get a quick 100K for a clever scammer.

Nostalgia + Cuteness + A "Chance" to Personally Help could combine to have the making of a really good con.

Just sayin'.

-gauss
Wondering that too. Back in July, she talks on FB about an injury hospitalizing her, and doing PT. No mention of surgery that I saw. Didn't sound life-threatening. Maybe there was another incident earlier that racked up a big bill.

A few other FB posts after that, mostly posting old photos and reminiscing. A Happy Labor Day post.

The gofundme page talks about taxes owed and IRS penalties adding up and losing everything in the 2008 downturn, "like many of us did".

If it's legit, it still just sounds like money mismanagement or poor investing, under-reporting income to the IRS and getting nailed for it, and having some medical bills. Supposedly she inherited a lot from Natalie Schaefer ("Lovey" on Gilligan's Island) years before. There were also some reports that her husband back in the 60s negotiated royalties on re-runs, which no other cast member had, but that's widely disputed.

In any case, if people want to give $20 or $100, maybe she kind of deserves something for how like GI entertained people. I'm not contributing, but it kind of sounds nice.

If it's a total scam, that really sucks. One would hope that one of the many news services reporting this has done some checking and talked with her directly. And hopefully it's not a partial scam, where "Dugg" does help her, somewhat, and pockets half the money.

I've followed her for a few years on FB and it seemed legitimatly her. Didn't seem professional PR person so I think it's legit.
Her web page shows no.personal appearances for the last few months. Nothing upcoming scheduled. She was big on the boat/car show circuit for the last few years
IRS trouble can get to anyone. A fall at 80 would put alot of folks out of work. Or maybe that devils weed made her lazy!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/0...-island-caught-with-marijuana-in-car.amp.html
Damn kids and their marihuana

IRS trouble can get to anyone.

While I hope Dawn Wells gets out of this OK, I take issue with the bolded comment.

IRS troubles only get people who do not pay the proper tax!

I have little sympathy for folks that make a PILE of money (Willie Nelson?) and then whine that the tax man is after them. Sorry. I pay mine. You pay yours. That simple.

I have little sympathy for folks that make a PILE of money (Willie Nelson?) and then whine that the tax man is after them. Sorry. I pay mine. You pay yours. That simple.

Not to get political, but go to YouTube and watch Willie's speech railing against the government conspiring to put small farmers out of business at FarmAid the year before the IRS seized his assests.
I believe Price Waterhouse was his accounting firm that suggested the illegal shelter. If a firm as reputable as PW suggested a tax strategy i would have assumed its legal.

Imma gonna go and reconnect the ground wire to my tinfoil hat now....

Last edited:
good for her that the Gofundme is up .. she still looks great.

Mary Ann's troubles started when they left her name (and the professor's) off the list at the end of the show's initial intro song.

Mary Ann's troubles started when they left her name (and the professor's) off the list at the end of the show's initial intro song.
True! I always thought it was a bit of a joke by Sherwood to do this. Ginger and Mary Ann got just as much time on the show, yet the "moooveee staaar" was featured in the opening. They always get billing, ya know.

Professor was hosed too. Show me a geek age 50-60 today who did not worship The Professor. Not possible! I'm not joking when I say that character actually got kids to consider science and engineering as their future.

IIRC the song for the pilot says "and the rest."

Johnson said they wanted him to audition shirtless....hubba, hubba, Professor!

True! I always thought it was a bit of a joke by Sherwood to do this. Ginger and Mary Ann got just as much time on the show, yet the "moooveee staaar" was featured in the opening. They always get billing, ya know.

Professor was hosed too. Show me a geek age 50-60 today who did not worship The Professor. Not possible! I'm not joking when I say that character actually got kids to consider science and engineering as their future.
I read that it was actually Ginger's fault. She was told by her agent she'd be the star, only to find out Gilligan was. Since she couldn't get top billing, so she demanded to be named last. A lot of shows used to feature a "special guest star" or something like that at the tail of the opening credits, so that's what she was going for. At least that was one story. Tina Louise is made a villain in almost every story and I don't know just how true that is. Could've been they just thought naming 7 people was too many.

It changed after the first season. The common story is that Bob Denver thought it was unfair, and said they should be added. The execs balked, so Bob Denver demanded they take him totally off the credits as well. They couldn't very well do that, so "the Professor and Mary Ann" were added to the song and credits. It's always sounded more natural to me, but I think when I started watching the reruns those were the first episodes I saw, so when it came back to season 1, the song sounded odd with "and the rest".

IIRC the song for the pilot says "and the rest."

Johnson said they wanted him to audition shirtless....hubba, hubba, Professor!

I read that Russel Johnson had appeared in some movies before was considered a hearthrob before landing the part of The Professor.

Just read recently that the name Ginger Grant was named for the first names of stars Ginger Rogers and Cary Grant. I always figured the Grant part but Ginger didn't register til now.

The episode where Mary Ann gets amnesia and thinks that she is Ginger, that episode automatically brought on a comparison between the two. On the show, the character of Mary Ann would think of herself of just a regular girl next door that didn't hold a candle to the glamorous movie star. Probably in many of the viewers minds, this has the opposite effect. Something attractive about not trying to look attractive but just girl next door.

Also, unlike a show like "Three's Company" where the had Suzanne Somers as THE sex symbol and purpose made Joyce DeWitt appear unattractive, that wasn't the same on Gilligan with Dawn Wells.

Last edited:
Mary Ann was cute. Ginger was hot.

Some like it hot.

Just learned that Johnson flew 44 combat missions in WWII..RESPECT!
Yeah, isn't that something? Some of the actors today who make a big fuss about stuff have no idea. RJ not only served, he was shot down. His service was part of allowing the next generation to make a fuss in safety.

RJ and my dad were almost exactly the same age. They died within months of each other. Both served in WWII and both were awarded purple hearts.

Back
Top Bottom