Metal roof on house

I'm not hampered by a lot of data, just stuff like this: https://www.roofcalc.org/why-roofing-prices-keep-going-up/

But you might know the answer to another question I have had: Are lumber prices very high in Canada too? I've wondered whether the US prices are partially due to border slowdowns/blockages and the fighting there has been over Canada supposedly dumping softwood lumber to the US.

Lumber prices are ridiculously high in Canada. A 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood is $84 last time I looked. An 8' PT 2" x 4" is now $13.45, was about $8 last year. A regular 12' 2" x 8" is $27.

Timberline architectural shingles are $28.27 a bundle, the same as last year. 3 bundles cover 100 sq ft, so a 1500 ft roof needs 45 bundles which is about $1500 after tax. $100 a sq ft.

The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.

... The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.
In our part of the country the skilled trades are making out like bandits because demand is very high and they can pick and choose their customers. I'm sure the roofing companies are doing the same thing given the opportunity.

I love my metal roof, because I have fond memories of helping my dad replace the shingle roof on the house I grew up in. We had our house built with the metal roof. No noise issues.

Are you looking at a standing seam or a metal shingle type roof? There seem to be significant cost differences between the various types as well as types of metal like steel or aluminum.

I've had a standing seam metal roof - sound was not an issue - it was two stories.

When a hail storm (northern Virginia) dented the roof - think three men with balpeen hammers working it over for a day - we replaced with a synthetic (plastic) shingle roof that resembled slate - looks GREAT ... and, is impervious to hail.

Cost is about 1.5 - 2.0 X times asphalt shingles - must be nailed on with specific stainless steel nails.

Americans have odd ideas about roofing.

Lumber prices are ridiculously high in Canada. A 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood is $84 last time I looked. An 8' PT 2" x 4" is now $13.45, was about $8 last year. A regular 12' 2" x 8" is $27.

Timberline architectural shingles are $28.27 a bundle, the same as last year. 3 bundles cover 100 sq ft, so a 1500 ft roof needs 45 bundles which is about $1500 after tax. $100 a sq ft.

The link you posted includes labour...I don't see any reason why it should go up a lot, roof replacements are a regular and predictable event and should be unaffected by lumber shortages. But I'm not a roofer, just a DIYer with no inside knowledge.

In the southeast, roofing material prices are often supply and demand--after hurricanes or tornadoes.

Places like Florida have anti-gouging laws which don't give roofing manufacturers any reason to ramp up production. I've seen Pensacola's roofs have blue tarps on them 18 months after a hurricane due to a lack of roofing supplies. And labor rates are not allowed to go up because of a natural disaster.

My house is 12 years old and another roof is in the future. I'm expecting a $15K estimate for fiberglass shingles, tearoff and installation. I cannot imagine metal roofs costing 3x that of dimensional shingles.

OK - you’re a skeptic. 😀

Do the research, as I did.

Americans think of roofing as a normal replacement item - every 15 years. Materials are available with 100-200 year cycles.

OK - you’re a skeptic. 😀

Americans think of roofing as a normal replacement item - every 15 years. Materials are available with 100-200 year cycles.

I'm a skeptic until proven otherwise. Care to provide any sources for this miracle product?

Oh, it’s not a miracle ... been on the market for several decades. Several manufacturers, all well known.

Interesting that you don’t know of it.

OK - you’re a skeptic. 😀

+1

I have no idea about the plastic shingles. However, I agree with stephenson that it is odd that we Americans think of our roofs, and nothing else about our homes, as throw-away maintenance items. I think it started with tar-paper roofs, which slowly migrated to shingles. Cheapest, easiest way to keep the rain out (for a while).

When it was time, I replaced the shingle roof on my 1929 home with clay tiles. Basically, these will last another 100 years or so. Every element of the roofing system was chosen to be a 100-year material or better (clay tile, stainless steel, copper, lead, cedar, foundation-grade pressure treated wood, ice-and-water shield underlayment). I will be long dead when this roof is redone!

Attachments

• front_noscaffold.jpg
    front_noscaffold.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 18
Oh, I can, and as I noted, I bought this solution after a lot of research.

Your tone has been negative, with a significant amount of “know it all” - so, do your own research.

I am not angry, but I no longer help in this sort of circumstance.

Would be happy to answer a pm from anyone else about this roofing material and my experiences with it. ��

Oh, I can, and as I noted, I bought this solution after a lot of research.

Your tone has been negative, with a significant amount of “know it all” - so, do your own research.

I am not angry, but I no longer help in this sort of circumstance.

Would be happy to answer a pm from anyone else about this roofing material and my experiences with it. ��

I guess that means I'll have to remain a skeptic. :LOL:

My Uncle had an aluminum roof on his log cabin. It had a cathedral ceiling showing the actual roof boards without insulation.
It was loud when it rained hard.
He had it replaced with a painted steel roof after about 50 yrs.
We had done 2 shingle roofs in that time-frame, so his idea to start with a metal roof was a good one for him.

It was raining pretty hard last night, so I opened the Sound Meter app on my phone...it showed sustained 60-65 decibels during the downpour. I like the noise of rain hitting the roof. One of my dogs, on the other hand, freaks out a little and my wife took her to the basement where it's significantly quieter.

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_140047734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201126_140047734_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I paid roughly $12k for my roof 10 years or so ago. in north florida, we get an algea/fungus like stuff. sidewalks and driveways need a good pressure washing regularly, but you can't stand on a wet metal roof. this cleaning cost me $450 and i don't need it again yet after 4 years. this is my only downside to my metal roof.

Attachments

• 20180820_125308.jpg
    20180820_125308.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180820_115915.jpg
    20180820_115915.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180820_110020.jpg
    20180820_110020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20180820_101831.jpg
    20180820_101831.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 17
My grandfather's house was built in 1917 with a galvanized steel roof.

When the house burned in the early 1980's, it still had that original roof.

No reason to think an aluminum painted roof won't have a long lifespan either.

I put a metal roof on my two story farm house last summer. I shingled it back in 1984 and they were shot. I like it, noise isn't an issue at all, I put a lot of insulation in the attic and there are only bedrooms on the upper level.

If you live in snow country be sure to put on avalanche catchers or you may end up getting dumped on when the snow breaks loose from the roof.

Maybe, or you could spend two minutes on the solution to your skepticism.

You have an interesting tact for a collaborative forum!

**What is the longest lasting roof material?
Roofing material that lasts the longest are concrete, clay or slate tiles. These materials significantly outperform other natural products like wood shakes or any manufactured roofing materials including asphalt shingles and metal roofing.

Last edited:
Tetto,

I am usually VERY helpful and will expend lots of effort on forums - I belong to several.

However, I have noticed an increase in the number of folks who are negative, unknowledgeable - and, unwilling to do anything other than say what they believe. These folks I no longer do the work for ... not trying to be an awful person, but once presented with the negativity and the pushback on why I don't PROVE something, I just let them know the information is out there.

Back
Top Bottom