Middle Name Confusion

My issue is that I’ve always been called by my middle name. My first name is actually my mom’s name and I never used it. When I had to get a new social security and driver’s license after my purse was stolen, they now insist you go by first name, middle initial, last name. I used to have all my records with just my middle and last names. Then because they insist I go by first name, last name, my medical insurance, Medicare, prescriptions, and medical records all have to be under my first name. So now I’m resigned to all my doctors calling me by my mom’s name. I’m tired of trying to correct them.

DW is in sort of a mess with respect to RealID. We have to renew our licenses next year to upgrade then to RealID. Her license, real estate title, taxes. SS and Medicare all use K as her middle initial. The K is the first letter of her maiden name. Her passport and Global Entry account use Jean which is her actual middle name from birth. So far, no problem. When we fly internationally she always uses Jean or J. When we fly domestically she uses K. We enter the Global Entry number for domestic flights and it works fine - we always get TSA pre-approved. When we go in for the new RealID license we plan to leave the passport at home and use other document so she can stick with K on everything other than the passport Our worry is that as things tighten up the discrepancy will come to haunt us. Getting the passport name changed is not an easy matter unless you have a recent court action or marriage.

Last edited:
DW is in sort of a mess with respect to RealID. We have to renew our licenses next year to upgrade then to RealID. Her license, real estate title, taxes. SS and Medicare all use K as her middle initial. The K is the first letter of her maiden name. Her passport and Global Entry account use Jean which is her actual middle name from birth. So far, no problem. When we fly internationally she always uses Jean or J. When we fly domestically she uses K. We enter the Global Entry number for domestic flights and it works fine - we always get TSA pre-approved. When we go in for the new RealID license we plan to leave the passport at home and use other document so she can stick with K on everything other than the passport Our worry is that as things tighten up the discrepancy will come to haunt us. Getting the passport name changed is not an easy matter unless you have a recent court action or marriage.

That was part of my problem. In order to drop my real first name, I had been using my middle name as my first name, my maiden name as my middle name. When my purse was stolen, I had to use my birth certificate and marriage certificate to get a new social security card and driver’s lice certificate and they said I HAD to go by my first name on all official records. I hope your wife can work something out, but don’t be surprised if they require a change to match the birth certificate.

Henrietta and Fayette , thank god I didn’t get parents middle names��

My life didn't end up getting as complicated as the OP but like you I was told to use my confirmation name as a middle name. I never did except on my Social Security card. In the Air Force I used "NMI" a lot.

In July 2016 I got one of those souped-up drivers licenses. Had to bring Birth cert, DD-214, military ID, and SS card. I didn't get any questions. It sailed through. maybe I got lucky with the DMV clerk?

In July 2018 I went in person to the SS office to get the name corrected .

Sold a property to a nice Hawaiian girl. I don't know if it's universal, but in our area, each party is required to sign the various transfer documents with full names - MULTIPLE times. Not too big a deal for DW and I, but nice Hawaiian girl had (IIRC) 248 letters in her combination of first, last and multiple middle names (I'm thinking she had 17 middle names, but time fades my memory.) Thankfully, we did not have to be present for most of these signings. YMMV

My grandpa was born in 1899. His first name was Leo and he didn't have a middle name. When I was little, he told me his parents couldn't afford to give him one!
I wasn't sure the connection, but I remember feeling very sad and wishing I could "buy" him a middle name!

Back
Top Bottom