More internet connection problems

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I moved into a new, refurbished or upgraded apartment* in a complex and had Comcast "turn on" internet service only, with me doing a self install with my own router. There two coaxial connectors in the master bedroom, two in the living room and one in the second bedroom. I have attached the router to all of them and after it is powered up, it stops at the point where it establishes a connection by blinking to indicate a failure.

Comcast technical service in Bombay says service is turned on but there is a discontinuity between their connection and the wall plugs. I've asked our complex maintenance people to look at it, but in the meantime is there anything I should look at and check? I do have access to the box of spaghetti where all the cables are connected to the various apartments.

I am still able to use the Xfinity service off someone else's router but I don't want to depend on it.

* I mention this because in the refurb process they messed up some of the 110 volt wiring, so maybe coaxial cable as well?

I would find the main feed coming in and connect the router there to determine if it is inside the premises. In the past I have taken a router outside to the main connection coming in the building to check.

Are the lights in solid or do they blink and then start over again.

I don't think they can detect a disconnect at a specific wall socket. I would ask them if the can see your router at all.

Does the apartment complex have anything they need to do to enable service. It's possible they disconnected or cut a coax during the rehab.

When I've used Comcast self install and vacation hold, Comcast always needs to restart the service on their end, even when the literature says otherwise. This involves a lengthy phone call to tech support during US working hours.

The fact that there are two connectors suggest it is "daisy chained". You say you tried all of the connections which is what you would need to do. Most likely the one wall plate with one connector is the end of the chain.

-----[ x ] [ ]-------[ ] [ ]---------[ ]

I am sure you get the need to identify which cord is the first one entering the apartment to have any possibility of getting it working.

Adding to nphx's diagram, you might be able to find the source with a simple ohm-meter:

-----[ x ] [A]-------[A' ] ---------[B']

Take a connector or short cable and wire a low value (10 ~ 220 Ohm) resistor across it. Plug in the farthest connector (B' in this case). You should measure something close to that R value at point B only. Repeat for A<->A'. The odd connector should be the source.

I'm not sure if the RF signal that should be on the source will mess with the ohm-meter, but you should be able to find through process of elimination anyhow.

IIRC, when DD moved to an apartment with comcast, the signal was there, she just got a generic web page asking her to sign up for service, or she could tap into a neighboring wi-fi if she had proper credentials. She ended up buying the cheapest level of service ($19$/month for 10Mbps, gets 12 Mbps regularly), but that level does not allow you to tap into other comcast 'shared' routers.

-ERD50

When I've used Comcast self install and vacation hold, Comcast always needs to restart the service on their end, even when the literature says otherwise. This involves a lengthy phone call to tech support during US working hours.

yep

Are the lights in solid or do they blink and then start over again.
Light on the down load icon just blinks
Supposedly since this is new service, they did start it.

The fact that there are two connectors suggest it is "daisy chained". You say you tried all of the connections which is what you would need to do. Most likely the one wall plate with one connector is the end of the chain.

-----[ x ] [ ]-------[ ] [ ]---------[ ]

I am sure you get the need to identify which cord is the first one entering the apartment to have any possibility of getting it working.
I took off a wall plate and the cable goes up the wall as opposed to the coax outlet a few feet away....:confused: The cord from the box goes into another wad of wires heading back into the ground.

Adding to nphx's diagram, you might be able to find the source with a simple ohm-meter:

-----[ x ] [A]-------[A' ] ---------[B']

Take a connector or short cable and wire a low value (10 ~ 220 Ohm) resistor across it. Plug in the farthest connector (B' in this case). You should measure something close to that R value at point B only. Repeat for A<->A'. The odd connector should be the source.

I'm not sure if the RF signal that should be on the source will mess with the ohm-meter, but you should be able to find through process of elimination anyhow.

IIRC, when DD moved to an apartment with comcast, the signal was there, she just got a generic web page asking her to sign up for service, or she could tap into a neighboring wi-fi if she had proper credentials. She ended up buying the cheapest level of service ($19$/month for 10Mbps, gets 12 Mbps regularly), but that level does not allow you to tap into other comcast 'shared' routers.

-ERD50
I have the $20 a month service and oddly my PC can connect, but my iPad gets a message that there is no connection with the cheap service.

The junction box is about 50 feet from my apartment so I'd need to think about how I can do this since everything I own tool wise is in storage.

I have the $20 a month service and oddly my PC can connect, but my iPad gets a message that there is no connection with the cheap service.

How does the PC connect? WiFi or ethernet? In an event, if the PC connects fine then the cable company is off the hook. Then the problem is with your router/WiFi hotspot

Supposedly since this is new service, they did start it.
What I meant was, after going through the entire self install process, including connection, it has always been necessary (for me) to get Comcast on the phone so they can enable the specific modem / serial number. Even after using the self install, this required getting them on the phone, giving the model & MAC address.

The blinks on a modem have meaning. What is the model and which lights are blinking?

How does the PC connect? WiFi or ethernet? In an event, if the PC connects fine then the cable company is off the hook. Then the problem is with your router/WiFi hotspot

I meant that the PC could connect to the temporary Xfinity wifi offered on nearby routers. Unfortunately it only lasts a week and I had it hooked up a week ago. There is no service on my modem.

What I meant was, after going through the entire self install process, including connection, it has always been necessary (for me) to get Comcast on the phone so they can enable the specific modem / serial number. Even after using the self install, this required getting them on the phone, giving the model & MAC address.

The blinks on a modem have meaning. What is the model and which lights are blinking?

I'm posting from a free wifi spot down the road. I said screw it and Comcast will come out tomorrow for $60. I'll see if the apartment will reimburse me, as I think they own the wires from the coaxial terminal to the cable box.

That has been my experience as well.
When I upgraded a DOCSIS 2 cable modem to one that was DOCSIS 3, I had to call even though according to Comcast's own instructions, it wasn't necessary. :nonono:

The OP mentions a router, I am hoping he means cable modem+router combination.

My cable modem and router are separate units. Both are my own and not rented from Comcast.

OP here. Finally, after the third visit from Comcast a guy crawled up into the attic and located where the cable entered the apartment and followed it to the junction location. It turned out to be in a box in the closet with the washer and dryer, behind a telephone plug face plate. Once he opened the box, we found that someone has simply unscrewed the input cable from the splitter. He speculated that the last person had a stand alone dish which was connected to one of the coax wall plates to join with to the other coax wall plates in various rooms.

In the interim, I bought a 100 foot coax cable and just ran it through the window - worked great. Thanks for everyone's help. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom