Moving a car.

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I will be moving from OH to FL. Have a 2005 KIA RIO.

How to move?
Tow behind rental truck
Car trailer behind rental truck
Car inside rental truck
Have moved by car transport
Use KIA to tow small trailer

Last edited:
Can your fiancé (or husband by now, I guess) fly up to Ohio to help? One of you could drive the car, and the other could drive the rental truck.

Or - - since the car is already 9 years old, are you thinking of selling it soon? This might be a good time to do that, and buy another car in Florida.

Last edited:
How much stuff are you moving to Florida ? If a lot just hire a moving company and drive the car down leisurely or put the car on an auto transporter and fly down. A move is expensive but hiring help makes it manageable .

If cost is the main issue, it would most likely be less cost to drive it (if that is practical). Pulling the car will take more fuel for the truck (and cause as much wear on tires and suspension.) You may need to unhook the drive line as well. The truck will probably not burn as much extra fuel as driving the car, but you'll pay for a tow bar or trailer; The truck will be less manageable and perhaps more dangerous; If the car is 9 yrs old, the extra 1500 or 2000 miles will not materially affect the "value" of the car. Most wear on the engine is at start up (assuming good oil and lack of abuse). So driving for 2 days should cause very little wear except to tires and suspension. Finally, having the small car available will allow you some freedom to park the truck (say at a truck stop or rest area) and let you go look for road food or a motel without dragging your stuff around. Easier to park at a motel without a car in tow, as well.

Just a thought - probably cheaper to rent a bigger truck than hauling a small trailer behind the car - and it's so much easier to drive the little car without the trailer. No problem stuffing all the linens and pots/pans, etc. into the trunk and back seat of the car. Suggest leaving the passenger seat open in case you want to leave the truck and take the car for an hour of "whatever" driving around an area you are passing through. Also, don't stack stuff up in the back seat higher than the front seat backs (shrapnel in an accident and may block your rear view mirror - and most of us don't do well with side mirrors once we're used to inside rear-view.) Truck driver should get checked out in the vehicle before leaving. It ain't a car, no matter what they say.

Best of luck with your move. This will be an adventure for you, so try to enjoy it for what it is - a big change in your life (and weather, Yipppppeeeee!) Don't forget, YMMV.

Don't know about towing. Car transport is very pricey. Another options is drive the car down, fly back, drive the truck down.

When we or our children have moved interstate we have always hired a removals company to ship all the furniture and driven our car(s) ourselves. Even a very leisurely drive will get you there much faster than the removals company.

Another option to consider for moving your stuff: You self-pack, somebody else does the moving of it.
- PODS allows you to fill up a container (maybe over days/weeks as it sits in your driveway/yard) and then they'll come get the container and haul it to where you want it, you unpack at your leisure and they come get the POD.
The trucking company ABF also offers U-pack services. Youc an either use their containers ("ReloCubes") or they will even park a truck trailer out front and you can just load it up--keep the trailer or cubes as long as you need it on either end (I'm sure they charge for the days). They will also offer quotes on assistance with packing/unpacking these trailers/cubes.

I haven't priced these out, I'm guessing either will be more money than renting a truck and driving it yourself. But if the truck is a worry, this could be an option, and it leaves you free to drive your car down (with photos/valuables/treasures you might not want to entrust to someone else).

I've hauled a car on a dolly and on a small flat car trailer behind a U-Haul truck. It's no sweat on the open road, the problems can arise in parking lots, etc. If I were doing this, I'd probably try to avoid "rush-hour" traffic and other congestion around cities, and plan to eat/remain overnight in more rural areas with more open parking, etc.

Kahn!!! We here in Ohio don't want you to leave! First Buckeye, now you.

Khan, I write from personal experience with several long distance moves. Assuming that your car is roadworthy and that you feel comfortable driving long distance, I recommend driving the car and having a moving company transport your stuff.

It is more challenging to drive a vehicle with a trailer and certainly more difficult to park it overnight. It is probably more expensive to have a moving company ship your car and fly. You might want to cost it out, taking into account the cost of gas and accommodation. Google maps shows a driving time of 15.6 hours, suggesting one overnight stop. Of course, if you drive, you have the option of doing a little sightseeing en route. You can also be more selective about where you stay, which may be important for your safety. Don't forget to get your car serviced, tires properly inflated, fluids topped up, etc, in preparation for the journey. Bring your cell phone and keep it charged in case of emergency.

If you hire movers, set a delivery date several days in advance, and drive away after they take your stuff, you can travel at your own pace and will be able to use your car at your destination from day one. That's helpful for all those errands associated with getting settled in your new home. It's surprising how comforting it is to have something familiar in new surroundings. Your car can be that something until your furniture arrives.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited:
He (yes now husband) will fly up and drive down however much required.
Don't think I'm capable of driving long distance; he is.

This will require coordination of house sale, car move, possessions (probably not all that much) move.

Considering shipment of most stuff, and possible towing small trailer behind KIA.

Or maybe ship everything that won't fit into the KIA.

He (yes now husband) will fly up and drive down however much required.
Don't think I'm capable of driving long distance; he is.

This will require coordination of house sale, car move, possessions (probably not all that much) move.

Considering shipment of most stuff, and possible towing small trailer behind KIA.

Or maybe ship everything that won't fit into the KIA.

Hey, congratulations on the wedding! I hope you two will be very happy. It will be very helpful to have DH involved in the move.

OK, how about this. I wonder if you could:

(1) have your DH help you to put your possessions in a pod, or ABF relocube (as suggested by samclem) and have them transport it. They will store it for a while if necessary IIRC.

(2) sell the Kia (as suggested by splitwdw), or gift it to your favorite charity or friend.

(3) stay in a motel for a few days if necessary until closing

(4) call a cab to take the two of you to the airport to fly to Florida.

(5) buy another car in Florida

By the way, great news about your marriage, Mrs. Khan! :D:dance::clap:

Last edited:
Just a reminder of how nice people can be. My last cross country move PA to WA, I watched as my truck was loaded on the moving van. The folks buying our house came 5 minutes before the van left. We did a walk through, I was going to call a cab to take me to an airport hotel. Instead they invited me to their other home for dinner, and drove me to the hotel. Restored my faith in people.

If you hire movers, set a delivery date several days in advance, and drive away after they take your stuff, you can travel at your own pace and will be able to use your car at your destination from day one. That's helpful for all those errands associated with getting settled in your new home. It's surprising how comforting it is to have something familiar in new surroundings. Your car can be that something until your furniture arrives.

Good luck with the move!
I'd vote for keeping the car, too, if it is reliable. Having your own wheels will be handy on both ends (there will be a lot of cleanup in the house after the moving van leaves, and plenty of errands at the new place). Why add the stress of shopping for a car on to all the other stuff that happens with a move? If you have a car, it's easier to take your time and get a good price/just the right car when you buy a new one.

I will be moving from OH to FL. Have a 2005 KIA RIO.

How to move?
Tow behind rental truck
Car trailer behind rental truck
Car inside rental truck
Have moved by car transport
Use KIA to tow small trailer

I did not see "Drive behind rental truck", but you later explained that you did not want to drive that 1,000-mi trip (Dayton to somewhere in mid-Florida?).

I do not know about the cost of the options, but just want to point out that "Tow behind rental truck" as you see RV'ers do it all the time is not a viable option for most cars with automatic transmission, which would be ruined.

All cars with manual transmission or a 4WD transmission with a transfer case can be flat-towed. In any case, the installation of a tow bar as RV'ers have may be up to $1500+ for parts and labor.

Most movers use a car trailer or a dolly, which U-Haul has available. I do not know about the rental cost. The arrangement is cumbersome to drive, and takes a bit of experience to avoid mishaps.

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out the potential pitfalls that might cause some unhappiness during the newlyweds' move. :)

This stuff is hard when you are 25. Harder when you are no longer 25.

Ha

This stuff is hard when you are 25. Harder when you are no longer 25.

Ha

Amen. We just moved 3 vehicles (2 cars and a Harley) and 35 years of stuff from NorCal to SoCal, only 450 miles or so.

We made several trips, and I kept saying "I am getting too old for this."

Make it as easy on yourself as your resources allow.

I did not see "Drive behind rental truck", but you later explained that you did not want to drive that 1,000-mi trip (Dayton to somewhere in mid-Florida?).

I do not know about the cost of the options, but just want to point out that "Tow behind rental truck" as you see RV'ers do it all the time is not a viable option for most cars with automatic transmission, which would be ruined.

All cars with manual transmission or a 4WD transmission with a transfer case can be flat-towed. In any case, the installation of a tow bar as RV'ers have may be up to $1500+ for parts and labor.

Most movers use a car trailer or a dolly, which U-Haul has available. I do not know about the rental cost. The arrangement is cumbersome to drive, and takes a bit of experience to avoid mishaps.

Actually you just get the dolly on which you put the drive wheels for the car. Front wheel drive is actually easier here, since then all you need to do is ensure the emergency brake is off. The back wheels don't care if they are driven by a towbar or by the front wheels, they are just along for the ride.

A dolly was an option I suggested, and U-Haul rents that.

Still, many people may not have experience driving a 30-ft long moving truck and towing a car behind it. They may get in a tight spot just pulling into a motel or a gas station, try to back up and jack-knife the dolly or even trailer if they have not towed anything before.

Back
Top Bottom