Much to be thankful for.

Cattusbabe

Full time employment: Posting here.
It has been a scary few days. Dear Husband, the love of my life, is currently in the hospital as a result of a motorcycle accident. He got off lucky when all is said and done. He was in the Jersey Pine Barrens...read no cell phone signal ....when he wiped out while taking a turn. Instead of landing in the ditch he was headed for he dropped the bike on the road. He was doing 60 mph. He broke seven ribs. He managed to get the bike up some how and was able to ride it out of there, a two hour trip, to get home. He did not think he was hurt that badly and asked for his pain meds and muscle relaxers that he had been prescribed previously. He complained of a pain on his right side and having difficulty breathing. I took one look at him and said no dice on the meds and got him the the ER.

He was wearing a full faced helmet and armored gear. Thank God. The nurse at the hospital took one look at the helmet and said you know your husband should be dead. I knew that also. The helmet and gear did its job.

Hubby like to go off the beaten track. Needless to say I am not cool with that. My sister told me that there are hand held GPS units available. Needless to say we are getting one. All I can think of is him being hurt worse than what he was and not being able to get on the bike or the bike not able to run. In any event he will be laid up for the next couple of months. Plenty of time to think about this all.
This was a close call. Too close.

Whew!! What a spill! I'm so glad that your DH managed to get out of there, and that he is going to be all right.

The GPS sounds like a good idea, and maybe he could find a buddy to ride with.

Sorry for your bad news. The important part is he is OK now. Sounds painful for both of you.
I guess I am a little like Hubby in liking to go off the beaten path. Don't know what else to do but take precautions or a buddy. Can't stop living. Stuff sometimes happens.
Again, sorry.

Free to Canoe

Glad he is recuperating. I could only imagine what a scary thing this is for you.

Cattusbabe, What a close call. I'm so thankful he's OK. I've been with my DH, also the love of my life, for about 4 decades. I can't even imagine what I'd be feeling if I was in your place tonight. Guess I'd just be thanking my lucky stars we were still together.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to your dude. Keep the faith.

Sounded like he was on a dirt bike, and got carried away. I like to explore the AZ National Forest with my dirt bike, but I ride with my son. That way, if one of us gets hurt, the other can go for help. I don't know about the road your DH rode on, but the rocky trails that I usually go on require careful navigating at 25mph or less. It's a long way to crawl out for help.

Another reason to go slow is that you get to relax to enjoy the scenery. It's hard to enjoy nature when your adrenaline is pumping, and the engine is screaming in your ears.

Holy crap. I'm glad everything worked out OK.

Once he's all better, then you can kill him :) .
I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds like a classic case of Boomeritis. It'll be interesting to see how the incident affects his desire to hit the road again.

Thank you all so much. Bestwifeever, the thought did cross my mind. travlelover bless you I will check out this site.

Holy crap. I'm glad everything worked out OK.

I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds like a classic case of Boomeritis. It'll be interesting to see how the incident affects his desire to hit the road again.

He will ride again but is really thinking of modifying how he does it. He is really shaken up by this whole thing. No false bravado. That is a good thing.

Wow! Scary stuff. I'm glad he's going to be OK. Nords called it boomeritis. Sounds right to me. It sucks to learn, but we're not kids anymore. You can still do the stupid stuff, it just takes a lot longer to recover from it. Give him our best wishes for a quick recovery.

He broke seven ribs, was able to ride home and figured he needed a pain med or two? Holy crap...he is one strong, tough dude.

My DH has put about eight thousand miles on his bike since he bought it last May. No spills yet. I still worry about him, but he loves it. I smile, say have a safe ride and then I exhale when he gets home safely.

I hope your hubby recovers quickly.

Wow, bad news but could have been worse.

I must admit when I sold my last motorcycle a couple of years ago, it was not without a small sense of relief. I am glad he will come out OK, and wish you both the best.

My sister told me that there are hand held GPS units available. Needless to say we are getting one.

Maybe not so easy, especially after he is feeling better. (as a stubborn old man, I have some experience in such things).

In any event, I am glad that he made it home and hope he makes a full recovery.

He broke seven ribs, was able to ride home and figured he needed a pain med or two? Holy crap...he is one strong, tough dude.
I blame that SuperBowl commercial showing the guy mishaps followed by the claim "I'm good, I'm good!"

Thanks again folks. This really helps. DH is a big guy 6'8" tall, 270 lbs so I think that helps him some times getting out of scrapes. Probably was why he was able to lift the bike up with one good arm. Had to be adrenalin at work there also. You guys get some crazy strength when stressed:LOL:.

But his is 67 years old and a diabetic among other health issues so he is not superman. I know doing the hover wife bit is not the way to go...... Well, we will work it out. We have plenty of time.....fortunately.

What she said. I cracked the cartilage where the ribcage comes together at the chest once and remember how difficult it was to just breathe let alone do any lifting. But then again, what choice did he have? Very lucky fellow.

Husband was about my age now, when he started muttering about getting a motorcycle. Then he mentioned that Ex Wife had always put her foot down and not let him get one. I said, "We have finally found the one thing that Ex Wife and I have in common." I think he was just testing the waters, since he didn't raise the subject again after that...normally he is quite stubborn...

One tough guy you have there, Cattus. Smart, too, wearing full gear like that. Best wishes for his full recovery (and your continued patience with him).

Thanks much. He is home resting. It is hard to get good sleep in the hospital. Just before he left the hospital we were informed that in addition to the busted ribs he cracked one of his thoracic vertebrae. The full impact is hitting him and I think he is becoming a little gun shy about traveling alone in the boonies. Not a bad thing that.

Glad he is recovering. Also glad he wears full armor and helmet. Sometimes its a pain, especially on very hot days, but its a lifesaver.

I used to ride with armored gloves, full face helmet, motorcycle boots and a Vanson leather jacket. It was HOT. But once my brother crashed his bike and flew thru the air and hit a tree with his face. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and got off with a broken jaw.

Back
Top Bottom