Murphy beds..

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any advice? Willing to spend for good quality and comfort.

Aren't Murphy beds and "quality and comfort" oxymorons?

I know you're not in the area, but we had a custom installation done by Hardwood Artisans. Take a look at their elegant Murphy beds, they might be worth the additional shipping! I love the ones that are hidden by sliding bookcases! Or you could try a local carpenter, but YMMV.

Any advice? Willing to spend for good quality and comfort.

For what - your main bed? Or for converting an office into an occasional guest room that someone sleeps in for 2-3 night?

DD put a complete built-in Murphy wall unit in their basement family room--looks great and quite comfortable. They were constrained by zoning from adding to their "footprint" so the basement strategy work great for us when we do overnight grandkid sitting and when out of town inlaws visit. Besides bed, wall unit has a lot of storage and shelves. Your choice of comfort level is only a function of your budget ;-)

I had a Murphy bed in my office for years. My mentor used to have a nap for a half hour every afternoon at 1:30 so I thought what the heck. It is now in the cottage. Looked pretty sharp and had drawers, cupboards and closet on either side. Was quite comfortable. Now at the cottage.

Murphy beds use normal mattresses, right? The only difference is that they are able to fold flat against a wall. My inlaws used to have one and it was great. Much better than a sleeper sofa or a futon. They are a breeze to fold, and the sheets & bedspread stay in place.

We have this in our extra bedroom. Our big screen is on top of this Bed in a Box.Memory foam mattress. People that have slept on it say they thought it was comfortable

Mrs scrapr found it at a home show of all places. Once she saw it she had to have it

https://youtu.be/DKzG7Ibu2cc

Last edited:
Closet organization companies and custom cabinet companies are excellent sources for Murphy beds. We bought a twin-bed Murphy for our spare bedroom and it's great.

The idea that they are "uncomfortable" is in the past. A standard mattress is all that is needed for a great night's sleep. No different than our use of a chest bed for our master bedroom.

For what - your main bed? Or for converting an office into an occasional guest room that someone sleeps in for 2-3 night?

Good question..Spare bedroom for occasional guests.

We have a "den" at our winter condo that has a pull out sofa that I have thought would be an ideal room for a murphy bed. Only thing is based on the last 3 seasons of use we have used the pull-out sofa a total of 4 or 5 nights.... so a murphy bed would be a pretty expensive solution for a couple nights a year.

The pull out sofa is uncomfortable, so we added a queen size air matress that we blow up and put on the pull out sofa... DS says it is comfortable.

Good question..Spare bedroom for occasional guests.

FIL has one of these in a office setup. The actual mattress is no better really than a sleeper sofa. I'm not sure most of these will take a real thickness full size mattress - at least would make it heavier to put up and take down. But it allows him to maximize the space in the room the other 350+ days per year, so for a few short guest visits it's a decent idea.

We have been searching for a downsized house recently. DW wants something big enough to handle mega guests. I want a 2 bedroom with a den as a home office.

I finally got her to agree to a 2 bedroom with a den, if the den has a Murphy bed. When we get the place, I'm going build my own Murphy bed using hardware from Rockler.

https://www.rockler.com/vertical-mo...utO1R3ZrQRtFXY9z5vYKWnaRIUjsrMPQaAqO4EALw_wcB

Build it in with some bookcases/shelving. Looks fairly simple if you have the tools.

Back
Top Bottom