My mom is the bomb!

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have gone back to school at St. Petersburg College in Clearwater to get my teaching certificate to teach Middle Grades Math. I know, but someone has to do it! I am attending the Educator Preparation Institue (EPI) program that pops out teachers in 12 months. I got my Air Force commission in 12 weeks at Officer Training School (OTS) and this is something like that! We have to teach a couple lessons this term and we student-teach for 8 weeks in the third and final term. Tuition and books will add up to about $4500 by the time I'm done. Will I actually go into teaching full-time or do remedial work with kids? We'll see.

My "cohort" of 23 students started with the Summer Term in the middle of May. We will all go through the program together and graduate in May of 2013. I have multiple degrees including math and engineering but three 16-week classes smooshed into 10 weeks is one of the most difficult things I've ever done.

When the Fall term started on Monday, one of the group was missing. Apparently he couldn't come up with the funds in time and financial aid is dorked up because our program is going through a re-certification. We're only talking $1300 to cover the tuition and books.

Knowing my mom is a softie (and has spare cash), I mentioned to her that one of my classmates couldn't quite pull together the funds in time for the beginning of the term (he has $600). Long story short (or not quite as long) she volunteered to front "John" $700. He is working 2 jobs and will be able to start paying her back right away but he has a cash flow issue. I quickly called him and our advisor and we got everything put together so he only missed class Monday night and will be in class tonight!

He can't believe his good fortune and he is blown away. If he only knew my mom is probably happier from helping him than he is from getting helped! She's especially pleased to keep a male in the program because the cohort is overwhelmingly female (19/4).

Good news and happiness all the way around! Of course, she is aware he is on the edge financially and it's possible she might not get fully repaid. She's not worried and feels it is more than worth the risk of losing a few hundred dollars. I will write something up for him to sign but you can't squeeze blood out of a rock!

I would would have fronted him the money myself but I would have gotten the stink eye from DH. Much simpler at home having my mom do it.

The amount is small enough that if the guy cannot pay, it does not mean financial ruin for your mom. Sometimes, it is good to give someone a chance like this. Thumbs up!

The amount is small enough that if the guy cannot pay, it does not mean financial ruin for your mom. Sometimes, it is good to give someone a chance like this. Thumbs up!
This is what I was thinking.
You're right - your mom is da bomb.

And good luck with your studies. My sister has been an elementary level teacher for 20 years and is in process to get her single-subject credential in Math. In CA the tests are pretty darn hard, she's passed 3 of the required 4 tests so far.

Individual charity such as this is one of the most rewarding things people can do with their money.

I'm sure "John" was counting on financial aid but because the college changed the EPI program more than 30%, it had to be submitted for recertification/accredidation. The program is excellent and it will be re-approved but in the meantime students are suffering because they can't get financial aid for a non-accredited program. The bureaucracy grinds slowly.

That's the kind of people this country is made of. What a great story. You and your mom should be very proud.

My mom and I figured it would be pretty wasteful for our country and community for her $1000 (of $15,000 free cash) to be sitting in the bank and "John" not enrolled this term.

I heard an interesting story on NPR today about previous Obama donors who have decided not to make large campaign donations this year because the money just gets pi$$ed away on stupid commercials. I can't really remember all the details but rich folks are "investing" money in liberal causes (like Bezos giving $2.5 million to support gay marriage in WA) directly instead of supporting political campaigns of candidates they see as supporting their values/causes.

In this case, we took action to get a student back into college instead of supporting a political candidate that supports education. We would never donate that much money to a political candidate but you get my drift.

Your mom is wonderful for helping this man stay in school! You are lucky to have such a mom, but then you already know that. Thanks for sharing, it's always good to hear positive stories that make a difference.

I love heart warming stories like this one. Your a lucky son to have a Mom like that.

Back
Top Bottom