My new nano

Other sources of free material for your iPod/MP3 player are podcast books. There are hundreds of authors doing serial releases of their books doing weekly chapters, some are very good. Also weekly short stories are being podcasts by others so you can finish it on e sitting. I picked up a lot of music off internet radio stations, with the right software you can setup to record programs at specific times. Some stations broadcast as individual MP3 files with all the MP3 extra info like titles and artist. Lots of Old Time Radio available online if you like old radio programs.

I had been using my PDA as an MP3 players and finally bought a refurbished previous generation nano this past Summer since the batteries in the PDA was only good for a few hours and the nano could do around 8 (plus back then I used the PDA as a GPS also). I bought it for listening to books/podcasts while walking and for trips and camping. The car has a jack to plug it into the audio system, the truck I use either a cassette adapter or FM converter, depends on where we are traveling and how far. The FM converters can be a pain on a long trip where the local strong stations keep changing.

With the iTunes interface it is easy to change programing, so the need to carry the world all at the same time isn't as much of a problem. A wanted to load a 13 hour pod novel the other day and didn't have enough room since I went cheap and bought a 4GB unit. Just plugged it into the computer unchecked one of the playlists, checked the podbook and clicked the sync button. In no time I was ready to go with my podbook. One feature that I discovered, was it syncs play info also. I was listening to this book while doing my morning walk and had it setup with a smart folder in iTunes so it only had chapters that I hadn't listen to. I was also listening on the computer while doing other things. I got back from walking, plugged it in and it auto synced removing the files I had listened to from the nano and iTunes smart folder. When I went to iTunes expecting to have to find where I left off and clicked on the chapter I had been listening to, it started up where the nano left off. Did this all last week. When I was finished listening on the computer I would click sync and the nano was ready for the next day.

Jeb

Not if you live on tightwad street.

Sounds like a great way to make an airplane trip less tedious. An iPod touch is $299.

The iPod touch + Bose QC2s = Airplane bliss

now that Apple has rentals on iTunes, I just load a couple movies on before my flights and they zip right by.

I am planning a trip and I do drive down to Mpls to visit friends fairly frequently, a three hour trip. How do you set up an ipod to work through vehicle speakers? The motorhome has a cd player and the truck I have been driving has, <gasp>, no player at all, just a radio.

I also use an FM modulator that accepts my ipod and sends music/whatever to my fm radio in the vehicle. Works well for me. Only hastle if you are in an area where most of the radio channels are in use from broadcast stations - more of a problem when in large metro areas. Check out Amazon or other sites for fm modulator or fm transmitter for ipod.

I also installed a device that shares the external cd changers aux input with an ipod or other device. I would not recommend the hastle of this method unless you are pretty tech savy. Lots of underdash yoga required.

Using an FM modulator is a problem with the motorhome. The only way to select radio frequencies on the MH radio is through a seek function, you can't manually tune it to an unused frequency. Any solutions for that problem?

Using an FM modulator is a problem with the motorhome. The only way to select radio frequencies on the MH radio is through a seek function, you can't manually tune it to an unused frequency. Any solutions for that problem?

That's pretty unusual not to have a way to manually tune?... On my vehicle the cd changer was external so I was able to share the cd input with the ipod. Cost me about $50-60 before it was done. If I had it to do over again I think I would have swapped the radio for an aftermarket model with an aux input as many new models now have. If you had a cassette you could use one of the cassette adapters to ipod. As far as the seek function - If the Ipod transmitter is on you should be able to turn it on and seek to it. Not as good as a preset button, of course, but should work.

If you are playing the iPod through the FM tuner doohickey, when you hit seek on the MHs stereo, it will "find" that playing on the station and stop there. That is what our MH stereo does as well and this works pretty well for us.

If you are playing the iPod through the FM tuner doohickey, when you hit seek on the MHs stereo, it will "find" that playing on the station and stop there. That is what our MH stereo does as well and this works pretty well for us.

Is that the classic doohickey or the enhanced doohickey pro:)

The ipod FM transmitters work better with some cars than others. Some have one frequency some more and some are adjustable. I upgraded the stereo in my car for around $200, it was a better unit but most importantly it added the input jack on the front. Now I can connect my ipod, my Sony phone, other MP# players, Sony mini disks, a cassete for old cassets and even connected my laptop; anything with a headphone out jack. Don't know why all units don't have this since it allows for sound source changes in the future.

The only vehicle I cannot connect to is my 2006 Jeep which has UCONNECT bluetooth system. This works great for hands free calls theough the stereo, we have a 6 CD changer and Sirius. I bought a special cable to connect my ipod. Played the ipod just fine but knocked out the Sirius & UCONNECT. All they needed to do was add the stupid imput jack to the front. I just want to have it all, is that asking too much?

I bought a speaker system for my iPod so I could listen to my music in any room of the house without using the headphones. Also works great for when you take your music with you to a hotel, beach, etc. It charges the iPod at the same time. You can plug it in or run it on batteries.

Just another option that gives you multiple functional uses.

Back
Top Bottom