Need Car Suggestions

I am partial to Toyota and Honda having owned 7 so far. I've considered Subaru's before, they have excellent 4WD and they are (nearly as) reliable (Consumer Reports) but I never bought one because their MPG were significantly inferior and they cost more than Toyota or Honda. However, their newer models have better MPG. Toyota and Honda have several 4WD vehicles (I owned an Element for years), but I suspect the Impreza, Forester and Outback are superior 4WD vehicles, so I can understand why they might be frontrunners.

You mention used luxury, which brings Audi into consideration. We owned an Audi, and the Quattro system may be the most advanced on any car, it was certainly incredible to drive in all four seasons - better handling not only on ice & snow, but dry pavement as well. That said, we've owned several luxury makes (BMW, Mercedes, Audi & Volvo) and we'd probably never buy one again. All of them cost a fortune to maintain when they do have issues, though two of the four we owned were very reliable (and two were not, the Merc E series was appallingly bad, so much so we sold it when the 3 year warranty expired).

Last edited:
If I drove rarely and lived where renting is easy, such as having easy access to Zipcars, I probably would go without a car. Only you know if that would work well for you. It could be neat to drive a variety of cars, but getting into an unfamiliar car when it's dark and rainy and you're tired may be less safe than your own car.

I really like the new Impreza. I recently ordered one for my son for his upcoming graduation. A lot of car and very good gas mileage with the new engine, for a reasonable price. If you want something that sits higher, the XV Crosstrek is a raised Impreza, but it seems more suited for off road or lots of snow.

Subaru Outback. In the area you live, lots of beautiful scenery and mountains to explore. Can't beat the newer Outback (2010 and up), has CVT and AWD, and reliability has been very good. Impreza is nice also, too small for me, but YMMV.........

Just bought a new car last night. Our Nissan pickup finally died (rear diff.) and we decided to replace it with a small SUV (the truck was to big since we moved back into the city anyway). There is a dearth of quality used cars on the market right now (at least in our area) and we had to go new. If there was a car rental place across the street though I would have considered going carless for the next 1.5 years we are working here. You still need a car for hauling loads of groceries, going out of town, etc..
Choice came down to the Ford Escape and Toyota Rav4. Bought the Rav4. The new 2013 Ford Escape is very nice but a little carlike (plus you know, Ford. AND, inside it says the electronics are Proudly powered by Microsoft. Talk about your deadly combo. lol) So, 2012 Toyota Rav4/6cyl/Sport/4WD. End of line discount (redesign for 2013) dealer discount and deal on a 5yr extended warranty sealed the deal. Hope to have it for a long time and it being a Toyota, I think there is a pretty good chance of it.

Choice came down to the Ford Escape and Toyota Rav4. Bought the Rav4. The new 2013 Ford Escape is very nice but a little carlike (plus you know, Ford...)
Yep, and we also know Toyota... :D

Toyota Motor Co., still in recovery mode after a series of problems that plagued its global operations over the last three years, announced Wednesday it is recalling 2.5 million vehicles sold in the United States due to a potential risk of fire.The recall involves 7.43 million vehicles worldwide...
Toyota to hold world's biggest car recall in 16 years - Bottom Line

I love my 2002 Volvo S60. At 160,000 and hope to go at least another 100,000. The newer ones seem really nice, too.

I know... first headline I saw in the paper this morning. Not even 12 hours later.. well, as they say, bad timing is worse than.. than ... ah damn it. :facepalm:

There is a big difference - Toyota does recalls and fixes stuff before half their customers leave for another brand, I don't think GM has learned that yet!

Back
Top Bottom