Need Your Air Conditioner Serviced? Good Luck...

I have one of these in my attic that is inoperable. I worry (needlessly?) that if there was a fire in the house, the thermostat on the attic fan would dutifully kick on and the action of pulling air out of the attic would accelerate the flames and torch the house.

Power ventilators have pros and cons. It is always interesting to read opinions about them on the internet. There are strong feelings for both! It's the "politics of home improvement." :)

The fire one is a new take I haven't heard. What is a fact is that some ventilators with bad motors that have broken over-temperature devices have been known to start fires. Of course, mice (actually more likely rats) start a lot of attic fires too.

If yours is not operating, make sure it is safely disconnected.

Last edited:
You can't win!

"If it's not one thing, it's 'nother" -- Roseanne Roseannadanna

I have one of these in my attic that is inoperable. I worry (needlessly?) that if there was a fire in the house, the thermostat on the attic fan would dutifully kick on and the action of pulling air out of the attic would accelerate the flames and torch the house.

For a question like that I'd just call the local fire department and ask what their opinion is. You'll probably get a more informed answer than from SGOTI.

If getting a new AC this month should we prefer one refrigerant over the other?
Or I guess the question would be should we wait till next year when the new refrigerant is required. My understanding is the new units will also be more expensive due to having to have higher efficiency?
Our current unit is from when the house was built in 1998. So being in Phoenix probably running on borrowed time
We had a company come out and they can install it this Wednesday. Neighbors used the same company and are happy with their results.
Also he mentioned they take the old refrigerant to a recycler and don'take any money off it. From this thread I find that a little hard to believe?

Last edited:
Seems like you have had good service from your old unit. I wish I could get 24 years out of our heat pumps. In Florida at the beach you are lucky to get 10-12 years before the fins on the outside unit just fall off from corrosion. I am having the same debate with myself and think for us the savings would be for a system now before the price goes up. With the short lifespan of systems in our area there would be very little advantage for the small degree of efficiency.

Cheers!

Seems like you have had good service from your old unit. I wish I could get 24 years out of our heat pumps. In Florida at the beach you are lucky to get 10-12 years before the fins on the outside unit just fall off from corrosion. I am having the same debate with myself and think for us the savings would be for a system now before the price goes up. With the short lifespan of systems in our area there would be very little advantage for the small degree of efficiency.

Cheers!
Yeah I think we are going for it this year. From what I hear...they don't make them like they used to...meaning the newer units being higher efficiency are not as robust as older units. Just wondering about getting the outgoing refrigerant is a bad choice?

I would not base my decision on staying on the old refrigerant. 5, 7 years from now when you are getting service that might be harder to maintain.

I would say hold off till next year and shop multiple companies and pump them all for as much information as you can on both the positive and negatives. Are you replacing the heating system at the same time if it's also that old?

I would say hold off till next year and shop multiple companies and pump them all for as much information as you can on both the positive and negatives. Are you replacing the heating system at the same time if it's also that old?

yes we are replacing it all.

so much info out there not sure what or who to believe....

Reading stuff like this....frustrating
Starting January 1st, the U.S. Department of Energy Efficiency Regulations are Changing. The minimum SEER Rating required by these new government regulations is going up, and the rating scale is moving to a "SEER2" scale which changes the way AC Systems efficiency is measured. As a result, Manufacturers have already announced price increases coming January 1, expected to be between 15-20% increase! Investing in a new system now will save you thousands!

Are you saying hold off for the 2023 models?

Basically yes, but I would imagine there are already units out there with the new requirements. There is a lot more than purchase price to drive your decision, and efficiency can mean a big difference in your electric bill, in a good way.

I'd start getting quotes now, while you are in a position of want vs. need. It's a lot better than shopping the day after something stops working.

It is possible to repair an old A/C system.
I made a call and found a great HVAC tech who was able to find several leaks using a soap bubble solution. I had tried to find the leaks myself with no success. He used great brazing skill to fix 2 leaks on the A-Coil where the capillary tubes connect. As a test the system held nitrogen pressure over the weekend. He used my old can or R22 to charge the system. The system was cooling great.
We were prepping the house to sell. The house had been vacant a while. in the next couple of weeks while were going over to work on the house I had to fix the A/C myself 2 more times. A $3 capacitor failed. Replace that. The system was so old the condenser fan motor shaft rusted through and broke off. I was able to find & replace a new motor. It was luck that the flying fan blade didn't damage the condenser coils. All together I spent about $700 on the A/C repairs.
It was a few more weeks till we closed on the home sale. We were able to turn the house over to a new owner with the A/C working.

This was a DIY installation I ordered from Montgomery Wards and installed 40 years ago.
Was actually manufactured by Rheem. Was a high efficiency unit for it's time so maybe not quite as inefficient as some of that vintage.

Back
Top Bottom