New backyard pool - good or bad idea?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?

DW and I (empty nesters) are thinking about installing a pool in our small backyard. We live in the deep south so we'd get several months usage from it and we don't plan on moving anytime soon, if ever. I do wonder what I'd have to do with the pool if we were to go away for 1-3 months.

Just curious what others' experiences have been. If you installed a pool, any regrets? Any 'gotchas' to be aware of?
Probably the biggest is figuring out how to keep children, drunks, fleeing criminals and other neighborhood humans from falling into and drowning in your pool.

Ha

Google "attractive nuisance" for some eye-opening information.

From a resale point of view, expect to get less than 50% of cost of building an in ground pool when selling your home. Much less if you are not in an "upscale" neighborhood. (Above ground pools actually detract from the value of the home, in our area).

From a travel point of view, there are services available that maintain your pool: chemicals, cleaning, etc., for a monthly fee.

The highest ongoing costs are opening/closing (if done professionally, in the winter/spring) and the cost of heating if desired. The cost of heating is VERY high, unless you use solar.

DW and I once had a pool and really enjoyed it. Of course the kids were young. But we also liked float around on a raft and relax. We also liked eating meals by the pool-very relaxing. But around here, they are $40k to$50k to put in a modest (in ground) one. Too much cash for the enjoyment, IMHO.

I wouldn't live in houston (again) without a pool...

we used ours about 5 times a week between march and october

The question is will you be like Big Hitter or not...

If you do not use it much it is not worth it... when we were looking at a new house my DW wanted a pool... since my sister had one I asked how much it cost her.... she said it was over $500 per month for chemicals and maintenance, plus you have to keep cleaning it all the times from the leaves... and we have a LOT of leaves and pine needles...

To me it was not worth it... the cost was too high for the benefits...

We did get a house with a hot tub.... that has cost me money off and on over the years.... a new heater, fix the pump, new filters, jets etc. etc... but still not as much as a pool....

We installed one last year. The new salt water systems are computer controlled and if you have a Polaris cleaning system they are Hardly any maintenance. We had a loop lock cover installed for when we closed it in the winter. We took the opportunity to redo the entire back yard when had the pool built. New deck, new concrete under the deck which meshes into the pool area, under decking to create a dry area, Reno'd the screened in porch with ez breeze windows, fence around pool, fire pit in yard and new sod.

We probably spent more money then we should have but if we can enjoy it for the next 20 years it will be worth it. Don't plan on selling any time soon.

As far as leaving for 1 - 3 months, you can cover the pool and still run the filter. The cover keeps the debris out and acts as an addition layer of safety for any unwanted guests. Your building code will require a fence around the pool. You might want to have a pool service check on it when your away.

FYI, we are mid 50's empty nesters. Kids are still shaking their heads at all the improvements we have made, wondering why we didn't do it when they were here.

We installed one last year. The new salt water systems are computer controlled and if you have a Polaris cleaning system they are Hardly any maintenance. We had a loop lock cover installed for when we closed it in the winter. We took the opportunity to redo the entire back yard when had the pool built. New deck, new concrete under the deck which meshes into the pool area, under decking to create a dry area, Reno'd the screened in porch with ez breeze windows, fence around pool, fire pit in yard and new sod.

We probably spent more money then we should have but if we can enjoy it for the next 20 years it will be worth it. Don't plan on selling any time soon.

As far as leaving for 1 - 3 months, you can cover the pool and still run the filter. The cover keeps the debris out and acts as an addition layer of safety for any unwanted guests. Your building code will require a fence around the pool. You might want to have a pool service check on it when your away.

FYI, we are mid 50's empty nesters. Kids are still shaking their heads at all the improvements we have made, wondering why we didn't do it when they were here.

A friends salt water chlorine generator quit last week on his pool and an algae growth started. He spent over $1K getting the pool back to normal. Nice pool, but no pool is maintenance free.

A friends salt water chlorine generator quit last week on his pool and an algae growth started. He spent over $1K getting the pool back to normal. Nice pool, but no pool is maintenance free.

Never said maintenance free. Said hardly any maintenance.

If he didn't notice his chlorine gen puked and his pool turned green then he probably wasn't checking the pool computer and testing the water.

We just opened ours and I have spent about $100 in salt and chems.

We have an inground pool in La Quinta Ca. Unheated and I'm a wimp, so it what I'd call a comfortable temp about 2-3 weeks/year - mostly just when we are leaving. It does provide an answer to the question "whatta you do all day?". Clean, brush, skim leaves, fight algae, replace bits that have failed. High efficiency pump cost $850, but brought our electric cost for circulating the water down to $50/month. Tried a few pool cleaners and was not happy - expensive and I was getting dinged for stuff I couldn't verify from 1000 miles away. Have drained the pool the last several years (no worry about high water table floating it out of the dirt here). OTOH, the brutal sun has alligator cracked the plaster, so maybe $10k to replaster? Not real sure it is all worthwhile, but there is something to sitting by the pool in the evening and looking at the reflections.

We bought a house with a pool 23 years ago. Love it. Really got used a lot when the kids were little. Now they are grown and gone, so doesn't get used as much, but we still enjoy it. Even better, now we have a 4-yr old granddaughter and she absolutely LOVES the pool! She is quite the little waterbug. We still use the old system of chlorine, etc. It doesn't cost us anywhere near $500/month. But instead of buying chemicals from the pool store we use regular chlorine bleach and big boxes of baking soda. Works just fine. Been maintaining it using these for years. Keeping it clean is really not a huge deal and we have a lot of big, tall trees.

Never said maintenance free. Said hardly any maintenance.

If he didn't notice his chlorine gen puked and his pool turned green then he probably wasn't checking the pool computer and testing the water.

We just opened ours and I have spent about $100 in salt and chems.

They are empty nesters and they was gone on a trip when it quit. They have had the pool for quite some time, but rarely use it unless the grandkids are visiting. They have enjoyed it, but are kind of over it. I had a pool when the kids were pre-teen and I was living in CA. We liked it and I did the pool care. One pool is enough for a lifetime...kind of like a boat! :D

I had a big, gorgeous pool at a home I sold, and only have a community pool now. We are looking to buy a house with a pool I miss it so much. I used it all the time for at least nine months of the year.

I had a Polaris cleaner which helped a lot, but it's still some work. I actually enjoyed taking care of it though....checking the Ph, acidity, adding acid, shocking it with chlorine when needed, cleaning the filter with the hose, big buckets of chlorine tablets....all good fun.

My vote is a big +1 for a pool!

I enjoyed my pool. Cost to maintain it was far less than $500/month. It was chlorine, and after the first summer I got pretty good at knowing how to take care of it with very little work on a daily basis. I probably spent less than an hour a week maintaining the pool.

If you do build one, ask them to put a return line in the wall so you can attach a hose which then attaches to a cleaner that scoots around the bottom pool and sucks debris off of the floor. (The alternative is to run the hose into the skimmer which causes you to lose the function of that skimmer while the cleaner is attached ). I didn’t really have anything that I disliked about the pool. Even when I didn’t use it much, I still liked the way it looked in my back yard. Sitting by the pool having coffee or a drink was just super relaxing.

Pools are very common here in Fl. You need a pool motor, which might run $500 - $1000 installed, and should be run 8 hours per day (in hot weather). Most folks here hire a pool company, typical cost is $80 - $100 per month, and includes weekly cleaning and chemical rebalancing.

Attached to the pool, you can have them put in a spa or jacuzzi. Those are very popular and quite relaxing. The motor makes a bit of noise and could be an issue with neighbors, especially if they are close or curmudgeonly. Some folks also spoil themselves with a pool heater ($1.5 - $3K). It makes the spa / jacuzzi really nice.

Call a pool servicing company and ask what they charge of the weekly servicing. Doing it yourself should not cost any more than that.

One possibility in the south would be to see if you could get an ac that rejects the heat it generates to water. That way once the AC starts working the pool gets heated essentially for free. (you AC the house already). It might take the addition of a large radiator in mid summer to cool the pool off at night if need be.

Growing up we had a above ground pool. My Dad took care of it. He got sick of all the leaves etc so had a top put over it and then you could swim on colder days as the sun would heat it up and the wind couldn't get in. It also had windows you could open if you got too hot. When my parents sold the house the people did not want it because they had kids so my folks sold it to someone that carried it off. Much less of a permanent decision. However, the season was short because we lived in WI.

To me, a pool is like a boat with the water on the wrong side. They both cost a lot to maintain... :D

Pools are very common here in Fl.

Those are mostly bath temperature puddles. I see a ton of pools in FL, and in most of them if you took two strokes swimming you'd hit a wall. DW would like a pool. I've had one before, and it was a fair amount of work, although I suspect it's gotten easier over the last 40 years. But I won't say yes to a pool unless it's one I can actually swim laps in. I love to swim, but there's a significant price difference between those plunge pools (aka puddles) and a lap pool. I've also considered the endless pool, but never pulled the trigger.

I agree with those who say it all depends on how often you will use it. If you do use it regularly it would be well worth it. If you won't, it will be nearly as good a money pit as a boat.

I had a house with a community pool and now I have a pool . I preferred the community pool .I swim a lot but I need a large pool to do laps.

We don't use ours much so economically it's a waste. Costs a ton to maintain it, re-surface every 10-20 years, new pump, etc.... However, it looks good. I would not likely add one unless I lived in a super hot place like Scottsdale, Palm Springs, Fl, etc....

We have a 38' x 18' salt water pool and 8' spa. I maintain it myself including regular cleaning, repair of pumps, heater, chlorine generators, and water tests. It can be expensive on a monthly basis if hire someone to do that work. Especially any repair work. I didn't want the pool but my wife did so I learned to adapt. It is nice to go for a swim on a hot summer day. Before we go away, I shock my pool (super chlorinate it) to prevent algae. The best part of our pool is the spa. It's extremely relaxing. You might consider just getting a spa instead.

25+ years on an in-ground gunite pool here in Texas. No complaints. Before installing a pool, did a survey of in-ground pools problems and maintenance. Heard lots of horror stories, and big $ costs to maintain...

Major Problems noted in survey: Plastered pools require frequent brushing, and will eventually need to be re-plastered. Don't want plaster at the waterline due to accretions, so a row of glossy tile is used at the waterline all the way around. And tile has its own problems with calcium buildup, popping, etc. People spending a lot of $ on chlorine and what not. So much on chemicals, where was it all going? Will their pool be declared a Superfund site one day?
Spas and heaters: Spas are expensive, and it takes an incredible amount of energy to heat a pool or spa part of a pool. Heaters rust out, etc.

So OUR solution: Gunite pool with Pebble Tec instead of plaster. No tile. Hard for high-strength concrete and stones to have problems! Only time I ever brush is if we get a bit of algae buildup on a wall, and that is usually caused by running out of chlorine. Have a supply-side Polaris cleaner running around, powered by the pump via a separate wall port. A low-pressure Polaris, not the high-pressure one that requires a separate pool cleaner pump. We use less than one 50 lb. pail of 3" chlorine tablets per year. We buy the pail online on sale, and they are free shipped to us. Simple pool test kit, have had the same one for many years. Order up test chemicals in a pack on Amazon - cheap. In the hottest months, I test for chlorine level every few days, PH and total alkalinity less than that. Once one gets into a routine on where the water flow valve on the in-line chlorinator is set to, and putting the same number of tablets in, its just marking the calendar to remember to load it again. There is a rhythim that one learns, once learned, its easy and quick.

When pool season is over, the Polaris is left in, a floating bubble-type cover is put on the water, once the existing tablets in the chlorinator are used up, no more go in for the off-season, just put one tablet in one of the skimmers. To avoid grossly over-chlorinating while the cover is on. With the cover on, about the only way to lose chlorine is if there is a big rain, which sends water out the overflow. Maybe once a month reach under the cover and grab the Polaris hose and haul it out to see if its bag needs emptying.

During the summer, I have the pump timer set for about 6 hrs a day, starting about 1 PM. During winter with the cover on, I reset the start time to about 4 - 5 AM, to run for 3 1/2 hrs or so. I move the start time to early morning, as if it is cold enough for the Freeze Guard to turn the pump on (around 37 degrees), no sense running the pump again in the afternoon.

When its covered, no one needs to do anything. In the summer, sunny and hot, and if it is very windy, then will need some water added after a few days. I'll ask someone to come over and do it, as I do for them.

Lessons learned to make life easier - Do Not run it out of chlorine in hot windy weather, as that will get algae going. Cover up pool before most of the leaves start to fall, as they can fall quicker than I can remember to go out and empty the skimmers of leaves. Skimmers plugged with leaves, then air gets sucked in.
We do not have any trees overhead. But there are trees upwind from the pool. I would not want trees OVER the pool.

In summer, I'm in it 3 times a day :D

Had a pool put in in the previous house. Gunite with quartz plaster. 3 oak trees very near so had leaves to deal with in the fall & spring. Saltwater system, polaris cleaner with separate pump. Saltwater cells lasted about 3-5 years so need to add that expense in. Other chemicals costs were minimal, but I bought salt from a friend who owned an oilfield supply house. I bought HCl acid in gallon jugs from Lowes.
The kids liked swimming and playing in it. For me it was a way to cool off and relax after work. After I retired I'd wear swimming trunks all day and just jump when whenever I was hot. Where we live now has an indoor community pool but I don't use it very much.

Back
Top Bottom