New car.

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just bought a new 2020 Red Hyundai Santa Fe. Had to unfreeze my credit with Equifax for a $10k loan that I will pay off in 91 days. It gave me a $1.5k savings to do that so I figure after any small amount of interest during that time I will be at least $1k ahead of the game. I also plan to charge the payments on my CC if possible. That should get me a lot of points for an airplane ticket somewhere.

The deal was good and I would have needed about $3k or more to correct the issues on my trade-in that was at most a $7k trade value.

Now I don't have to worry about repairs, new brakes, etc. for quite a while. The drive train is good for life. I tend to keep my cars a long time and only drive about 7 - 10k miles a year. I hope they are still in business when it comes time for a new engine or transmission.

For now it is all I can do to just drive the car without being distracted with all the electronic gizmos. Sensory overload to a person that has deficient technology genes.

Seems to be a nice car.

Cheers!

Just bought a new 2020 Red Hyundai Santa Fe. Had to unfreeze my credit with Equifax for a $10k loan that I will pay off in 91 days. ...
Those are sweet deals as long as there is no prepayment penalty. I got $2500 from Mazda one time on the same kind of deal. It cost me a couple of months' payments in interest.

The Mazda F&I guy was very familiar with the strategy. He cautioned me to make sure I had gotten the car title from the state before paying off the loan. He said he'd seen problems where the title was still in the pipeline and the lender filed a lien release. YMMV of course.

Congratulations on your new ride.

Congratulations on your new ride.
+1, enjoy the new car. And I hope you come to appreciate the “electronic gizmos” all in your good time. Some of them are silly, but some are indeed useful.

Oh Yeah!

I love Android Auto. Love. Seriously. All I have to do is speak where I want to go and not a street address, or even anything specific. Like "take me to a good fish restaurant in Ventura" (I'm in CA) and presto, audible and visual drive directions with modified routing in case of traffic slowdowns.

It's a vagabond dream machine connected to the vast power of google. And it always works.

I have Santa Fe's.
2007, 2014. 2019. All upper trim levels. I own two more because of the first one. Wishing you same.

Check your paperwork. I learned a bit too late that you may not have to wait to pay off the loan. The dealer wants you to hold it for 90 days because that’s how long it needs to be held for them to get their commission. However, a closer look and the paperwork has no requirement to hold the loan. Your documents may be different, but I made the mistake of taking the word of the dealer (sounded reasonable) where no such clause existed in my loan documents. I could have paid it off the next day.

+1 I did end up paying that few months of interest only because the dealer inferred that I needed to but I think it was really that their comp from originating the loan would be clawed back if I paid it before 90 days.

Congrats on new car. We're looking in a few directions:
-Toyota Camry Hybrid, 2019 (new) $27K - dealer but exact car and price on Carmax. I looked it up as we were negotiating

-Ford Fusion 2019 (new) with some rebates @18K-through dealer

-Used < 70K Lexus Hybrid varies in price-varies in year
We're in flux and can't decide what to do.
Edit: I'm including taxes and fees. I want bottom line cost. Our trade in is the 1997 Camry (200,000K miles :) $600?)

Last edited:
+1 I did end up paying that few months of interest only because the dealer inferred that I needed to but I think it was really that their comp from originating the loan would be clawed back if I paid it before 90 days.

My dealer didn’t infer, they said you need to hold it for four months. To me, that’s an outright lie. I’d be appalled and go to a different dealer except I have no illusions that they are honorable in their dealings or that any other dealer would be different. My bad for not reading the loan documents. That won’t happen again.

-Toyota Camry Hybrid, 2019 (new) $27K - dealer but exact car and price on Carmax. I looked it up as we were negotiating

Edit: I'm including taxes and fees. I want bottom line cost. Our trade in is the 1997 Camry (200,000K miles :) $600?)

We have a 2016 Camry XLE Hybrid---Love It! Comfortable ride, lots of safety features, good power boost for freeway driving.

On a new car side note, our 4 month old Mazda CX 5 got scraped and slightly dented in the left rear panel while at a party.

On a new car side note, our 4 month old Mazda CX 5 got scraped and slightly dented in the left rear panel while at a party.
My Highlander had less than 2000 miles on it when my nephew backed into it. :mad:

Ford Fusion - Out! Sorry Ford
Now looking at 2020 Corolla Hybrid

Might go back to Camry Hybrid

If we get frustrated and go for the car we really want - 2020 Lexus, then we're done.

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like you got your money's worth out of the old one. How long did you drive it?

I bought a new Honda Ridgeline about 2 years ago and we just bought DW a new Subaru Forester a couple of months ago. Each of them is like driving a computer. In fact, I got some Rx sunglasses after I bought my vehicle and tried to save some money by not getting bifocals. I soon replaced the lenses after I figured out how much there was to read on the dashboard.

Part of my challenge now is switching between the two vehicles. Since they are different makes, the controls work slightly differently.

I do not lease (or buy) any car that has a 3 year, 10k Miles Per Year residual value of less than 55%. Most Fords, Chevy, Cadillac etc. have 49 - 50% some even lower. That shows that US Car Financing Provider have little confidence in their car's resale values. So why should the buyer. I just went to all the dealers in my area to compare. Not 1 US car in the market I am looking was over 50%. There are some Exceptions, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang and Chevy Corvette. But we are not in the market for those. Every time we are in the market for a new car we always re-visit the US Cars we are interested in, but in the last 20 years, they have not seemed to change their resale values, again this is only for the cars and SUVs we were interested in.

Most Asian and German Manufacturers offer 50% - 62%. My current car is 62%.

When US Manufacturers have confidence in the resale value of their cars then I will start to look at them more seriously.

Last edited:
My old Ridge is pushing 200,000 miles . I keep looking and I cannot find anything I like . The Hyundai's and Kia's are the best bang for the buck but I always tend to look at Honda's
The Ford Fusions are going cheap because they are going to quit making them . Not a bad car but not a Honda.

Just bought a new 2020 Red Hyundai Santa Fe. Had to unfreeze my credit with Equifax for a $10k loan that I will pay off in 91 days. It gave me a $1.5k savings to do that so I figure after any small amount of interest during that time I will be at least $1k ahead of the game. I also plan to charge the payments on my CC if possible. That should get me a lot of points for an airplane ticket somewhere.

The deal was good and I would have needed about $3k or more to correct the issues on my trade-in that was at most a $7k trade value.

Now I don't have to worry about repairs, new brakes, etc. for quite a while. The drive train is good for life. I tend to keep my cars a long time and only drive about 7 - 10k miles a year. I hope they are still in business when it comes time for a new engine or transmission.

For now it is all I can do to just drive the car without being distracted with all the electronic gizmos. Sensory overload to a person that has deficient technology genes.

Seems to be a nice car.

Cheers!

There are still a bunch of 2019 Santa Fe's out there any reason buy a 2020.

We are looking to buy one and leave it at a friends ranch for a highway flyer. My 2009 GMC Sierra only has 130K and has been exceptionally dependable, but at 19 MPG highway trips to Tucson are getting expensive. david

You would do best to advertise your used Camry. They still pull relatively high prices no matter the miles--far more than $600 unless it's damaged.

I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid and paid $27K for it--$577 under invoice. We're getting 49 mpg and have put 48K miles on it in 2 years. It's downright quick in performance and a great road car. I'd go that route vs. a used car. The LE model has the preferable lithium batteries where the more expensive models have Nickel batteries and don't do as well on fuel mileage.

You would do best to advertise your used Camry. They still pull relatively high prices no matter the miles--far more than $600 unless it's damaged.

I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid and paid $27K for it--$577 under invoice. We're getting 49 mpg and have put 48K miles on it in 2 years. It's downright quick in performance and a great road car. I'd go that route vs. a used car. The LE model has the preferable lithium batteries where the more expensive models have Nickel batteries and don't do as well on fuel mileage.
I test drove a 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid and a 2019 Camry Hybrid (new) yesterday. Both had incredible tork. Better than our 2002 V6 Camry. I was pleased. The 2020 Corolla came in with taxes to $23,826 with $600 trade. I think we'll sell our 1997 Camry ourselves ($600 too low for trade). I loved the Camry, Corolla not quite as comfortable. 2019 Camry came in with taxes and fees at $28,792.81 with $600 trade.

I test drove a 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid and a 2019 Camry Hybrid (new) yesterday. Both had incredible tork. Better than our 2002 V6 Camry. I was pleased. The 2020 Corolla came in with taxes to $23,826 with $600 trade. I think we'll sell our 1997 Camry ourselves ($600 too low for trade). I loved the Camry, Corolla not quite as comfortable. 2019 Camry came in with taxes and fees at $28,792.81 with $600 trade.
Dealers make all their money on used trade-ins, financing and service, plus a little off silly add-ons like upholstery and paint protection. Yea, sell the old one yourself on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom