new corvette

kitesurfer2

Recycles dryer sheets
anyone ever buy a new corvette? good or bad decision?
with everything i own being paid off, and my monthly living expense less than $1500, i have a couple grand extra coming in every month. i buy what i want and do what i want, i'm just not a high maint type.
i really love my miata, and my motorcycle but i've always considered a vette as a non practical 'look at me' luxury.

as time goes on, i feel like i need to spend some money and i've got that vette itch again. anyone been there, done that?

Not a vette but have a 2014 Mustang convertible. Considered a vette but wanted something more suited for longer trips. The Mustang has a much larger trunk and is actually very comfortable on the highway.
But vettes are really cool, go for it!

You can only spend it or give it away for someone else to spend. If you want one go for it, although I think it would be more responsible to pay cash for a "toy" like this.

I bought a new corvette in 2001. Glad I bought it. Still have it - Very fun car. I was looking at the new ones a few weeks ago. Very sharp. If you want one, don't wait. Get it now!

You can only spend it or give it away for someone else to spend. If you want one go for it, although I think it would be more responsible to pay cash for a "toy" like this.

It may be more responsible to pay cash, but I financed mine. Didn't want to write that a big check for a car. So I put $25k down, and paid off the balance in a couple of months. For some reason, it felt better writing a few smaller checks than one big one.

It may be more responsible to pay cash, but I financed mine. Didn't want to write that a big check for a car. So I put $25k down, and paid off the balance in a couple of months. For some reason, it felt better writing a few smaller checks than one big one.

I recently rented a 2016 Mustang GT. Awesome ride. Even at 6'6" I fit well.

My credit score has risen 120 points in the last year. I am getting all kinds of zero % offers. When I am ready to buy my next truck I will definitely take advantage of that zero % money.

Also considering a "fun" car at some point. The Vette are looking better and better but they are so low to the ground. Looks like getting in and out would be tougher as time goes on.

Still thinking about a 1970 Chevelle SS.

I say go for it if you can work it into your plan.

Last edited:
When I was younger I always thought it would be nice to buy a new Corvette. Now that I could easily afford to buy a couple, the thrill is no longer there. The older I get the harder it is to drag my butt off the ground getting out of those low sports cars. I will probably settle for a well equipped Caddy or SUV. We have a lot of road trips planned so we want to travel comfortably and take a lot of "stuff" with us that just won't fit in a Corvette.

Having said that, if there was a big Corvette club in the area I would reconsider buying one. Car people are generally a fun group be hang out with.

There are some good buys on Vettes right now. I don't think its a look at me type car at all. There is a camaraderie in the Vette community and most appreciate the performance the car provides, which is beyond what a lot cars offer at twice the price. I bought a new one back in 98 and modded it into a One Lap of America car.

I've bought several in the past 20 years. A couple were a few years old when I bought them but most were new. All have been very reliable and super fun cars. The earlier models (C4's) seemed to be a bit cramped for longer trips but the C5's, C6's and C7's are much more comfortable. The performance has increased (noticeable) in each model/series. For a high performance car, the later models get great gas mileage (25+ mpg) on the highways, if you keep your foot out of it. I would suspect that there are very few Vette owners that are buying for gas mileage.:cool:

Now with that said, they are really not luxury sports cars, IMO. The interiors are not that fancy. They are "okay", but not impressive. Also, these days, there are a number of higher performance vehicles, in a similar price range, that can "fill the need" and do it in "much more" comfort and luxury. Maybe not quite as fast or quick, but pretty darn close.

Of course, if you are going for looks (styling) not much beats the Vette's, IMO.

Last edited:
you can get a nice c4 for well under 10K, and a nice c5 for not much more than that

DW nixed the vette cause she didn't want me to be another old, bald, fat dude driving around in a vette sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl

so she let me get a 95 firehawk vert - roomier and just as fast

.... The Vette are looking better and better but they are so low to the ground. Looks like getting in and out would be tougher as time goes on.....

...The older I get the harder it is to drag my butt off the ground getting out of those low sports cars....

They are very tough to get in and out of. I have the coupe with removable top, and it is a little easier when the top is off. I have to push on the side of the seat to get out. Over 15 years, the seat stitchng has ripped in that spot.

Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.

They are very tough to get in and out of. I have the coupe with removable top, and it is a little easier when the top is off. I have to push on the side of the seat to get out. Over 15 years, the seat stitchng has ripped in that spot.

My leather side bolster wore out in a few years, although my car was lowered from its stock height. Had indy car gas adjustable shocks front and back. Front seat needed to be replaced with a racing bucket for better support and lower weight.

Here is a little video some might enjoy; being able to drive the ring is a bucket list item, although it will probably never happen:

Never understood the fascination with cars. If I could hire someone to drive me around for the rest of my life I would. The lesser the amount of time I have to drive the better.

because you are what you drive

Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than pay someone to drive me. I'll drive well over 50k miles this year and still am not satisfied.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than paying someone.

Different strokes for different folks.

definitely one of the hobbies I had to curtail so I can FIRE in a few years. if it were up to me I'd have a garage full of 10 or so - now i'm relegated to just 3 cars and a golf cart

I had a 1965 Stingray convertible (C2) back in the day. I'll never be able to afford to get that back in my hot hands again, though.

I'm itching for a C5 convertible with low miles and probably will start the search in the Fall. Why not!

As for a new one, GO FOR IT! (you only live once and that is one amazing machine).

This is me about cars.

Cars and driving are "some" of the most enjoyable things in my life. I like to drive cars, work on them, buy and sell them. I have other hobbies too but I'd put "cars" at the top of my list. In my case, I'd much rather drive myself than pay someone to drive me. I'll drive well over 50k miles this year and still am not satisfied.

This is me about boats.

I had a 1965 Stingray convertible (C2) back in the day. I'll never be able to afford to get that back in my hot hands again, though.

I'm itching for a C5 convertible with low miles and probably will start the search in the Fall. Why not!

As for a new one, GO FOR IT! (you only live once and that is one amazing machine).

Living in the Woodlands, you probably already know to checkout Corvettes of Houston (a.k.a. Corvette World)... They should still have have some top notched low mileage C5's. You can probably pick up a really nice one for 18 to 22k, depending on mileage and equipment. I actually bought one of my early (C4) Vettes from them and was happy with the deal. They had it detailed out on the showroom floor just "like new"...

Last edited:
I too jumped from a Miata (and a motorcycle) to something a little more indulgent. Let me say I'll always maintain that you can't get more fun per dollar than a Miata; I went through each of the three styles from 1993 through 2006. Then in 2008 I went for a Cayman S. Since then it got exchanged for a pickup and DW has the BMW convertible. Let me say I miss the Cayman more than any. But there's only so much garage space. As for the Corvette, if it fits the budget and you want it, why not? Sometimes LBYM can be carried too far!

Living in the Woodlands, you probably already know to checkout Corvettes of Houston (a.k.a. Corvette World)... They should still have have some top notched low mileage C5's. You can probably pick up a really nice one for 18 to 22k, depending on mileage and equipment. I actually bought one of my early (C4) Vettes from them and was happy with the deal. They had it detailed out on the showroom floor just "like new"...

there is a private lot in champions too - frank's vettes? some nice ones also on CL

I picked up an 88 Firebird GTA 5.7 liter in 1998 just for fun. Haven't regretted it. Had to spend a few bucks on it now and then. Still have it.

Back
Top Bottom