Newsflash: Teenagers lack frontal lobes!

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
This just in from the Providence Journal:
"All human brains contain a frontal lobe, the part that controls problem solving and judgment, but researchers at the National Institute of Mental Health have found that it's not fully developed until people reach their late teens or early 20s.
That means teenagers are making decisions about drinking, sex, drugs and driving, among other things, with an ill-equipped brain. They're making these decisions based on emotion instead of reason.
[...]
Using MRIs to scan children's brains over many years, the researchers identified which parts matured when. The areas that control senses and movement develop first, followed by those controlling language and spatial orientation. Areas that manage what's called 'executive functioning' matured last.
Dr. Jay Giedd, the lead researcher on the NIMH studies, has said that teens are smart enough, but "it's sort of unfair to expect them to have adult levels of organizational skills or decision making before their brain is finished being built."

I think I speak for all former teenagers and parents of teenagers in greeting this startling discovery with a resounding: "Well, duh."

How do you get teenagers to sit for 45 minutes getting a head mri, anyway?

I was thinking that they offer drinking, sex, drugs and driving to test their theory.

Teenagers run on hormones and not brains. My two sons are prime examples. Stress hormone, sugar hormones, fast driving hormones, not listening hormones and of couse sex hormones. The brain is poisioned by all these until the levels go down after they reach their early 20s.

Kind of makes sence that the military goes after the 18 years olds first in time of war.
All hormones....no brains.

maddythebeagle said:
I was thinking that they offer drinking, sex, drugs and driving to test their theory.

I'm never in any of the fun studies :p The last study I was in was for a non-CFC propellant inhailer..... wayyy less fun.

Nords said:
. . .   That means teenagers are making decisions about drinking, sex, drugs and driving, among other things, with an ill-equipped brain. They're making these decisions based on emotion instead of reason.
. . .
I'm not sure that ever changes for some people. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Marshac said:
I'm never in any of the fun studies  :p 
Dude, we called that "high school".

The difference is that my research was never exhaustively studied or thoroughly documented. I hope. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't accurately remembered, either...

Back
Top Bottom