Nord really does surf!

deserat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My husband and I went to Hawaii and took Nords up on his offer to teach us to surf - I've wanted to stand on a surfboard for a long time - well, I stood, for about 5 seconds and then spent the rest of the afternoon trying to stand again.  True to his word, Nords was a phenomenal instructor, we were at a perfect beach for surfing and just talking with him and seeing him in person was great.  My husband wondered "who this guy you met on a BBS (old-time term, I know) and gosh are you sure he isn't a predator:confused:?"  In the end, they got along great and we swapped financial stories and military war lies.  In any case, I promised Nords that I would post this picture of him standing on a surfboard - he really does surf!  (OK - as soon as I figure out how to post the picture (it's over 64K), I'll post it). Surfing was done at White Plains beach near the now almost defunct Barber NAS.  The surf shack's burgers and BBQ pork sandwiches were good, too.

Thanks, Nords - we really enjoyed our day with you.  Hope to see you again soon.

Deserat

I am a bit disappointed as I expected to see a Pony Tail flying in the Wind :D

img_401124_0_9c33d1ab1616fa14e112e47882c9a12f.jpg

deserat said:
Thanks, Nords - we really enjoyed our day with you.  Hope to see you again soon.
You're welcome, that was the easiest surfing lesson I've ever given! (Bridget's a master swimmer and it shows in her paddling.) Who's next?

Cut-Throat said:
I am a bit disappointed as I expected to see a Pony Tail flying in the Wind :D
Eh, this was the "after-lunch" photo, and we were all waddling moving a little slower...

More of the same surf today. Our kid has really figured out where to be on the board and when to paddle, so she & I caught a father-daughter wave all the way to the beach. I'm going to have to bring a waterproof disposable camera or figure out how to waterproof a digital one...

Nords, I'm renting a board next time I'm out there, and we're hitting the waves to see how much I remember! Probably not a lot....

I see a lot of forehead and butt but no ponytail.  :D

EDIT: and hey dude what;s that tee shirt hiding? :LOL:

Nords said:
I'm going to have to bring a waterproof disposable camera or figure out how to waterproof a digital one...
Nords,
If you have a small Canon digital camera I can recommend a WP-DC series of waterproof cases (for example A95 camera fits in WP-DC50 case). They are good for snorkeling and shallow dives.
The drawback is the price - you can get them probably for about $160 new on eBay for most popular Canon models.

sailor said:
Nords,
If you have a small Canon digital camera I can recommend a WP-DC series of waterproof cases (for example A95 camera fits in WP-DC50 case). They are good for snorkeling and shallow dives.
The drawback is the price - you can get them probably for about $160 new on eBay for most popular Canon models.

Fantasea makes a whole line of "affordable" housings. I got one for my Nikon Coolpix for around $115. Good to sport diving depths. Here is an output example:

Attachments

• 1345w.highlight.jpg
    1345w.highlight.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 75
  • 1345w.highlight.jpg_thumb
    35.9 KB · Views: 2
donheff said:
Fantasea makes a whole line of "affordable" housings.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

We're just interested in something that can be strapped to an arm, dunked in the surf, and used for closer ranges than "from the beach". I guess it should float, too, or at least not sink like a rock.

We'll experiment on our kid's camera or my clunky old Mavica.

Back
Top Bottom