Old Computer to New Computer...Help!

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm in the process of moving from an older DELL desktop to a newer DELL desktop I purchased on the Dell Auction site. Wow....they don't make this easy! :confused:

Moving all files from MS Word, MS Excel, PDF's, photos, etc. was easy using an external hard drive. Getting these files all put into the "right" places on the new unit has taken time but gone ok. Moving "favorites" in Internet Explorer and "bookmarks" in Firefox proved to be a challenge but finnally all seems to be in place but in alphbetical order vs. my "special" order but this can be fixed in each folder. I had a 3 license MS Office suite so getting this installed plus Open Office on the new machine went fine as well as AVG and more. :whistle:

Now....I have on the "old" machine several e-mail accounts running through Outlook as the client and one e-mail account running through Outlook Express. Reading about this seems like a huge task to move and get all 3 Outlook and 1 Outlook Express account moved over with all history, etc. included. Any help or tips about moving this or does one need to breakdown and spend $$'s to get professional help? Thanks for any and all input and support!

Now....I have on the "old" machine several e-mail accounts running through Outlook as the client and one e-mail account running through Outlook Express. Reading about this seems like a huge task to move and get all 3 Outlook and 1 Outlook Express account moved over with all history, etc. included. Any help or tips about moving this or does one need to breakdown and spend $$'s to get professional help? Thanks for any and all input and support!

I haven't used Outlook Express in like 15 years (if ever) so I can't give specific advice on that program. However, if I understand your question correctly, I believe all you need do is move (copy) your Outlook .PST files to the appropriate location on the new computer. (The default Folder, depending upon your version of Windows is: "Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.") The files you are looking for will have a .pst extension.

These files, BTW, are the files you should make frequent backup copies of if your e-mail is valuable/irreplacable.

If this isn't the response you were looking for, please restate the question.

ron is right go here to do what you need to do... this is on microsofts site which gives steps on moving pst files

Thanks! :cool:

All done and all worked well once .pst files located in hidden folders.

Back
Top Bottom