Outback, CR-V, Rav 4, Prius - Help me choose

Perhaps my Outback is progammed differently but the paddle shifters work just like an automatic transmission.... 6 speed if I recall correctly... hit the left paddle shiffter to downshift and the right to upshift.

Now, mine is a 2016 Outback Limited.... I have a faint recollection that some earlier CVT models the shifts were not very noticeable, so perhaps you have an earlier model.
Mine is a 2018 Outback Touring, so not an older model.

I know the display shows a "gear" when I've accidentally hit a paddle (though it reverts to what's programmed shortly thereafter), but there are no physical gears in a CVT. Subaru (and some other automakers) have chosen to mimic shifting gears, though it's unnecessary with a CVT, it's a marketing choice. The "gear number" displayed is whatever the programmer chooses to display...:blush:

Last edited:
My Camry hybrid had a CVT. I worked very well, IMHO. As far as I can see the only thing close 'gear' in it was when I chose to use engine braking. Even reverse was not a real gear. They just spun the electric motor backwards!

We have 5K miles on our 2019 Subaru Forester. We are near-giddy with this vehicle. It's our first new car since 2001. I researched for several months. We test drove the Forester, CR-V, RAV4, and CX-5. The Forester was by far the most affordable, especially with standard AWD. We got a well-equipped Premium trim, out the door for $27K plus change.

The others were all great vehicles as well but they all had little quirks that we didn't like. The Forester has a few quirks as well. But in the end, it boiled down to: standard AWD, great price, great reviews, highest ground clearance, and the best mileage. The CR-V was a very close second. It's a well-rounded vehicle in every aspect, plus the well-known reliability of a Honda. BUT, it was going to cost about $2-2.5K more for a similarly-equipped vehicle. That was just very hard to justify.

I'm partial to Nissan's and have a Frontier, Rogue and a Murano.... all over 120k miles and no maintenance issues whatsoever (just tires, brakes and a battery)

I agree, Best car I ever owned was a 1997 Maxima. Sold it in 2009 to a neighbor's kid and it's still on the road. If I get half that longevity out of my 2019 rogue, I'll be a happy camper.

I know the display shows a "gear" when I've accidentally hit a paddle (though it reverts to what's programmed shortly thereafter), but there are no physical gears in a CVT. Subaru (and some other automakers) have chosen to mimic shifting gears, though it's unnecessary with a CVT, it's a marketing choice. The "gear number" displayed is whatever the programmer chooses to display...:blush:

I know all that... but it really does work like downshifting.... when you are going 60 or so take your foot off the gas and hit the left paddle shifter once, then again, then again and you will feel the decelaration.

I think when in 'D' and you hit a paddle, then it just shows the 'gear' you are in and there is no actual change until you hit a paddle again (before the gear number disappears and you start over). In 'M' the gear number should be shown. It's been a while since I used the paddle shifter, but a case was going up a mountain road and passing an 18-wheeler at 85 mph. I just wanted to get past before the curve and felt I need some more RPMs.

Last edited:
I know all that... but it really does work like downshifting.... when you are going 60 or so take your foot off the gas and hit the left paddle shifter once, then again, then again and you will feel the decelaration.
Fair enough.

Is this still happening 2+ years later? It did happen on a quite low % of CR-V's in our coldest winters states only on 2017's but I thought was corrected/repaired/replaced. No?

They did a rollout ‘fix’ by state but some say the fix didn’t work. I wouldn’t risk it - it seems like a design flaw.

I purchased a 2018 Rav 4 Hybrid in May 2018. I’ve been quite pleased with the vehicle. My decision choice ended up being between an Outback and Rav 4. Price and distance from local dealer (for maint.) steered me to the Toyota.

Since I do my own work, I have no desire to own any turbocharged gas engine. So the Honda CR-V would now be out of consideration. As would any vehicle with a serious gas into oil problem. Software indeed...

An observation on the Subaru Forester vs. Outback - Consumer Reports (and others) 0 - 60 MPH times for the Outback are greater than 1 second longer than the Forester. The Outback is a simple stretch of the Forester chassis, and does not add all that much weight. I have not figured out why the Outback is so much slower.

Another Subaru observation - CR's reliability ratings consistently put the Forester one level up in reliability compared to the Outback. Again, I am not sure why there is a significant difference, I would have expected them to be very similar. I hope it isn't because the Forester is imported from Japan, but the Outback is built in the US. Parts sourcing may be different, besides assembly.

We do not own either of them, but I keep up with news on the compact SUV class, in case we ever have to replace our present compact SUV.

My Camry hybrid had a CVT. I worked very well, IMHO. As far as I can see the only thing close 'gear' in it was when I chose to use engine braking. Even reverse was not a real gear. They just spun the electric motor backwards!

Toyota has produced millions of hybrids, and they have them just about perfected. They came out with a 100% new Camry Hybrid last year, including a completely new hybrid system. The hybrids going into the 2019 & 2020 Prius', Corollas and RAV4 have the new generation system.

My 2018 Camry Hybrid just hit 2 years old and 40K miles and has been flawless. And it gets 49 mpg average in the real world with lithium batteries instead of everyone else's nickel batteries.

Many other car manufacturers use Toyota parts and technology in their hybrids, including Ford & Nissan. And any feelings of gears shifting to any CVT tranny is fake and electronic. My car doesn't have any gear feeling unless you manually shift it.

The car I drive is a 2017 Forester and I am very satisfied with it. Good reviews on Consumer Reports, etc. My wife had a 2004 Toyota Highlander which was a really great car. Hated to sell it but the miles were getting up there. So we recently bought a 2019 Outback for her. We normally order exactly what we want, but I could not this time. I discovered the Outbacks are not to be made with the 6 cylinder engine in 2020 and we wanted the 6 cylinder. I think a 4 cylinder with turbo is looking for trouble in the future. So, we looked around and got a good deal on one of the last 6 cylinder normally aspirated Outbacks. Both my wife and I are very satisfied. She wanted everything this time so it has all the options for a Premium model. Both Foresters and Outbacks have metal timing chains which is good.

The only other car I think I would touch would be a Toyota.

Honda has had several serious quality control issues over the last 15-20 years.

The only thing consistent is they have ignored their customer base - far more than Subaru or Toyota have. Honda literally is willing to lose customers when they have issues - paint, transmissions, engines, etc.

Honda set the standards early, but is not feeling pressure - and, instead of improving quality and customer service, they obfuscate and avoid.

Looked at Hyundai or Kia products? Great reviews ...

Honda has had several serious quality control issues over the last 15-20 years.

The only thing consistent is they have ignored their customer base - far more than Subaru or Toyota have. Honda literally is willing to lose customers when they have issues - paint, transmissions, engines, etc.

Honda set the standards early, but is not feeling pressure - and, instead of improving quality and customer service, they obfuscate and avoid.

Looked at Hyundai or Kia products? Great reviews ...

Honda lost my loyalty from our crappy 2004 accord. OMG what a POS. Lots of electronic component failures. So much better cars out there, including Hyundai and Kia!

The more I look into this the more I think my choice will be a RAV4 or the Outback. Maybe a Forester.
Honestly I don't see how you could go wrong with any of these three! Maybe it's time to start going on test drives.

Also, how about a Highlander? That would give you a lot of room for that new knee. :) Sure, they cost a lot, but all SUVs cost a lot so why not.

Highlanders are so cool and have everything anybody could ever want (well, from my perspective anyway). The Highlander is definitely a possibility for me, if I ever get around to buying another SUV.

Also, how about a Highlander? .......
I have a 2017 Highlander. In general I like it, but visibility is poor - it seems to be all headrests and roof pillars. I also find the steering to be a little numb compared to DW's 2014 CRV. Road noise and ride are much better than the CRV. I bought it for the 5000 pound towing capacity.

I don't really need high towing capacity, low gas mileage and big car loan in one vehicle. So, I think I will pass on the Highlander.

Last edited:
Not on the list but we love our Mazda CX-5s. Similar in size to the Forester and TAV4 but just a real fun car to drive. Has all safety features. Our sons both have Forester and both have had to have engine rebuilds due to engine gasket issues. Never again buy from Subaru. As soon as my wife's Outback reaches 50k, we are selling it for a Highlander. Sorry Subaru.

I love my Outback, my BIL loves Rav4 (on his 3rd) and my sister drives a Camry. I hate it when I travel and get a rental car because I miss my car features and comfort.
Look to see which one has the features you want (sensors, comfort on long drives for all drivers, etc, power outlets, cup holders, etc) plus factors such as mpg, insurance costs, and repair costs. My height and comfort in the seat eliminated a lot of models (including Mazda) for me.
The reason I got the Outback instead of a RAV4 is that I wanted the option to tow something heavier than 1,500 pounds. So I got the Outback with the larger engine so I can tow a small camper w/o problem.

CX-5

Toyota and Honda owner in the past.

This time we went with the Mazda CX-5.
In fact we have two of them. Best bang for
the buck. IMO

Recent Consumer Report evaluation put them
second to Subaru if my mind serves me correctly.

Thanks to a parking lot accident my 2012 Camry Hybrid has been totaled. :( So, I am in the market for a new car to replace it. Alas, I have not given it much thought since I figured the Camry would last me at least another four years.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these cars, especially the late model ones that have these safety features.

I rented a Rav 4 last year and was pleasantly surprised. It was great on the road and very comfortable. I currently drive a GMC Acadia and except for the amount of cargo space it compared very favorably with the Acadia. The system (I don't know which one CA EBS, ??) really made highway driving in traffic a breeze, slowing down when traffic got backed up and speeding up when things cleared up.

Jim

My Choice, Outback

I've owned 3 CRV's and now have a 2015 Subaru Outback. While good experience with both, I personally prefer the Outback over the CRV. It is has been extremely reliable. About 80,000 miles so far and plan to take it to 200,000. Very comfortable ride and has all the safety features. Easy to get in and out. Plenty of space when we travel or have the grandkids. Excellent gas mileage. And I can tow a small trailer which I do when pulling a motorcycle or u-haul while helping kids move. We've been all over the country and it still rides and looks like new.

My daughter drives a Hyundai Tuscan and it has been an excellent vehicle for her, too.

Probably all the cars you mention are good choices. Probably comes down to the look you like and which one feels right while you test drive it.

Back
Top Bottom