Hyundai Palisade?

Out of Steam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Friends recently told my wife and I that they didn't plan to keep their 2020 Hyundai Palisade after completing some long-distance travel this fall. They bought it for that specific purpose, and both own smaller vehicles, so won't need it after that. It's a lower trim, but has our minimum set of features (power heated seats and blind spot monitoring), and would have about 40K miles by then.

It's one size larger than I would buy myself, and they may be able to sell it for more than I'm willing to pay for it, but the comfort and cargo room would be useful. If I were buying myself, I'd probably buy a Mazda CX-50 (new) or Subaru Outback (either 2018-19 or new).

My wife was able to get in and out without significant issues. I have ridden on about a two-hour trip in this car, but not driven one. It has a V6 and conventional automatic transmission, and not one of Hyundai/Kia's problematic 4 cylinder engines.

Any experience here with this or the similar Kia Telluride? Reliability, quality, etc.

Last edited:
What does Consumer Reports say?

Consumer Reports likes it. Some of the remaining warranty can transfer but apparently not the 10 yr 100,000 mile power train warranty. The V6 is a decent engine but like most newer ICE's, you need to heed the maintenance schedule carefully. If it's like my Hyundai, it will have a schedule for extreme conditions and I've always followed that.

A friend of mine got one 2-3 years ago and really likes it. The reviews I've seen on it and the Telluride are very positive.

Friends recently told my wife and I that they didn't plan to keep their 2020 Hyundai Palisade after completing some long-distance travel this fall. They bought it for that specific purpose, and both own smaller vehicles, so won't need it after that. It's a lower trim, but has our minimum set of features (power heated seats and blind spot monitoring), and would have about 40K miles by then.

It's one size larger than I would buy myself, and they may be able to sell it for more than I'm willing to pay for it, but the comfort and cargo room would be useful. If I were buying myself, I'd probably buy a Mazda CX-50 (new) or Subaru Outback (either 2018-19 or new).

My wife was able to get in and out without significant issues. I have ridden on about a two-hour trip in this car, but not driven one. It has a V6 and conventional automatic transmission, and not one of Hyundai/Kia's problematic 4 cylinder engines.

Any experience here with this or the similar Kia Telluride? Reliability, quality, etc.

We have a Telluride and enjoy it a lot. It's a great road trip car - we've driven it to Florida a couple of times from Ohio and it's very comfortable on a long drive.

Any specific questions?

We have a Telluride and enjoy it a lot. It's a great road trip car - we've driven it to Florida a couple of times from Ohio and it's very comfortable on a long drive.

Any specific questions?

What do you think of the transmission in mountains? The trip I rode on was fairly flat.

Does the infotainment have any glitches or issues? Are any subscriptions required to use it? I didn't see any problems as a passenger, but was in the back seat--which was quite roomy for my fairly substantial self.

Road trips of 4 to 8 hours would be a major use of the vehicle.

2023 Telluride received a 10/10 from Car and Driver

They both have to be good cars. They are both named after cool Colorado towns.

Friends recently told my wife and I that they didn't plan to keep their 2020 Hyundai Palisade after completing some long-distance travel this fall......

One potential issue to think about: what if you bought the car and something went wrong with it, quickly? Would that affect your friendship?

One potential issue to think about: what if you bought the car and something went wrong with it, quickly? Would that affect your friendship?

I think a bigger issue would be whether you could negotiate with your friend. Our next door neighbor was moving to the mainland and had to sell her old car. She wanted $5K. I would like to have bought it, but didn't feel like I could take advantage of her stressed situation. (We had been fairly close neighbors.) SO I told a friend about the car and he negotiated the price down to $2K! I felt bad for her but good for him and neutral for myself. YMMV

What do you think of the transmission in mountains? The trip I rode on was fairly flat.
Didn't notice anything. We drove backroads from Knoxville TN to Atlanta on the way down to FL last year and across the Smokies (Asheville to Knoxville) coming back).

Does the infotainment have any glitches or issues? Are any subscriptions required to use it?
We mostly use wired CarPlay and it works well. The non-Carplay interface is "fine" for controlling climate and such. Casually playing music over Bluetooth from the phone works fine. Etc. There's some sort of Kia connection thing that I ignore. We like it's smart cruise control and things like it's "overhead" view from it's cameras.

I didn't see any problems as a passenger, but was in the back seat--which was quite roomy for my fairly substantial self.
That was one of the things we liked - DS is 6'6" and has plenty of room in the backseat when he visits. There's loads of room in it. It was basically the only three row SUV we tried that DW could sit in the back in a pinch. Not that she wants to, or has, since we bought it, but it's possible to pack in a bunch of people if need be.
Road trips of 4 to 8 hours would be a major use of the vehicle.
We view it as a great vehicle for trips. Comfortable, lots of room, decent mileage.

It has a V6 and conventional automatic transmission, and not one of Hyundai/Kia's problematic 4 cylinder engines.

Hyundai/Kia's catastrophic engine failures are definitely not limited to just the 4 cylinder engines. Stop by a dealership sometime and see how many are parked behind the service bays waiting for new engines. Then make your decision.

Hyundai/Kia's catastrophic engine failures are definitely not limited to just the 4 cylinder engines. Stop by a dealership sometime and see how many are parked behind the service bays waiting for new engines. Then make your decision.

I've not heard of any problems with the Telluride/Palisade engine. Our has been trouble free and no I haven't noticed any Telluride's stacked up at the local dealer.

As mentioned above, Hyundai/Kia has a problematic history of engine issues.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/c...f-very-troublesome-engines-continues-44497118

Although there is no history of engine problems in the Telluride or Palisade, they are relatively new, first hitting the market in 2020. The bad publicity about brand engine reliability took the Telluride and Palisade off my radar when looking for a new SUV last year.

Here's just one of many documented cases:

https://tellurideforum.org/threads/...ne-seized-dealer-replacing-engine-tips.12372/

I don't know why anyone would want to take a chance on owning a vehicle from a company known for such poor quality control that hasn't improved in decades.

I can understand that.

We owned a Ford minivan a while back and it had some serious engine issues. He fixed the engine ourselves (we didn't know it was a general problem) and Ford later contacted us and paid for it all. No Fords for us...

Why do you want to buy it ?
If they weren't selling it would you be buying a vehicle and when ?

What are you driving now that this would replace ?
I would plan to buy in 12 months or so, to replace a Subaru Legacy with about 165K miles. Since it is running well, I expect to offer to gift that car to my sister. Even though I prefer to drive sedans, I'm finding not owning a car with a rear hatch limiting.

I think a bigger issue would be whether you could negotiate with your friend.

I probably wouldn't negotiate much. If it is within my price range, I'll offer them $1-$2K more than Carmax or a similar company does. If they don't plan to advertise it for private sale themselves, we'd likely have a deal.

My ceiling is about 75% of what the new car I would buy would cost. As of today, Blue Book trade-in is considerably above that, though there are signs of the used car bubble abating.

Back
Top Bottom