Hyundai Palisade?

I have a couple snowmobiles and UTV's that use CVT's for the transmission. They work well so I'm curious how these compare to the CVT's used in cars?
One thing about these toys is the belts are relatively easy to replace and not expensive. Don't imagine the belts in cars are as easy or cheap.

The whole concept of the CVT makes all kinds of sense. You can keep a car in its torque or power band and avoid all the shifting up and down. But the devil is in the details, and I've heard too many horror stories to actually "want" a CVT trans. in a car. YMMV

I have a couple snowmobiles and UTV's that use CVT's for the transmission. They work well so I'm curious how these compare to the CVT's used in cars?
One thing about these toys is the belts are relatively easy to replace and not expensive. Don't imagine the belts in cars are as easy or cheap.
Yes, the problem with automotive CVTs is the belt. We expect automatic transmissions in cars to last 100,000+ miles with limited maintenance. Also, automotive preferences in the USA and elsewhere have gravitated towards large SUVs and trucks with powerful ICEs. Such are just not conducive to conventional CVTs with a belt and pulley system. Here's a good explanation of how such transmissions work:

The whole concept of the CVT makes all kinds of sense. You can keep a car in its torque or power band and avoid all the shifting up and down. But the devil is in the details, and I've heard too many horror stories to actually "want" a CVT trans. in a car. YMMV

Unlike chain CVTs, these eCVTs used in hybrid vehicles have proven exceptionally durable, even more so than conventional automatic transmissions.

Unlike chain CVTs, these eCVTs used in hybrid vehicles have proven exceptionally durable, even more so than conventional automatic transmissions.

If they "gear up" to larger ICE engines maybe it will be a good transition from more complicated multi-speed auto-transmissions. (See what I did there? :) )

What do you think of the transmission in mountains? The trip I rode on was fairly flat.

Does the infotainment have any glitches or issues? Are any subscriptions required to use it? I didn't see any problems as a passenger, but was in the back seat--which was quite roomy for my fairly substantial self.

Road trips of 4 to 8 hours would be a major use of the vehicle.

Our best friends looked for a new SUV in that size/class in 2021 and bought the Palisade. They have been very satisfied with it altho I don't think they have had time to take it to the mountains yet.

Their other car is the 2020 Hyundai Kona, which we helped them pick out. The infotainment system for Hyundai/Kia is one of the best - fast and great voice recognition. My Ford Edge Sport 2017 has the BMW-licensed voice recog system which was excellent for the time (and is still an easy to use system), but the Hyundai 2020 infotainment beats it by a mile.

FYI the latest Palisade map update finally includes full screen Android; Apple has had it for a while.

That is because the eCVT in Toyota hybrids has no belt but instead uses a planetary gear system. The way the eCVT works in the prius i.e. using the two motor generators in conjunction with the planetary gears sytem and an ICE, I don't think it would work in an ICE only vehicle.

the 2012 prius was the first car in 30 years that I have owned that was not a general motors product. I was also worried about the cvt transmssion. after 11 years owning the prius, I don't have any qualms about another cvt. toyota told me the transmission and inverter fluid was lifetime, I changed it myself at 120k along with all the coolants. I have never seen cleaner oil come from a gear box or coolant come from a machine after 11 years or 120k. as a matter of fact I am looking at a rav4 prime hybrid with the cvt and am going to keep the prius.

Hyundai/Kia's catastrophic engine failures are definitely not limited to just the 4 cylinder engines. Stop by a dealership sometime and see how many are parked behind the service bays waiting for new engines. Then make your decision.

This is exactly what happened to our neighbors. The car had 15K miles/2.5 years old and had catastrophic engine failure. It is now sitting at the dealership waiting for a new engine. It will likely take a few months before they get it back.

This is exactly what happened to our neighbors. The car had 15K miles/2.5 years old and had catastrophic engine failure. It is now sitting at the dealership waiting for a new engine. It will likely take a few months before they get it back.

Sounds about right. It took the dealership over three months to get and install the new engine in DD's Tucson. The new engine started leaking oil 6 months later and the dealership would do nothing about the oil leak. A short time after that, the automatic transmission starting missing shifts and by that time, they had enough. They traded it for a used Subaru and have had absolutely no issues with the Subaru. Before the engine failure, they had other well documented Hyundai/Kia issues as well, including both rear door latch failures, climate control blend door issues and a multitude of other minor annoyances.

Many people seem to find some kind of comfort or assurance with the Hyundai/Kia 10/10 warranty, but when your DD and GS are stranded along a major interstate highway due to Hyundai catastrophic engine failure, with trucks and inattentive drivers zooming past at 80+ MPH, the warranty means nothing. Add to that being without the vehicle 1/4 year waiting for an engine, that's just not a chance I'd be willing to take.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom