Hyundai Palisade?

We have a Palasade. I think it's a 2020, maybe 2021.

We live in the mountains and it does fine. We hardly ever use the third seat, so I'm glad it folds into the floor well enough that there's good storage.

Infotainment system is good enough. I don't think much of the maps (missing a lot of road names), but we're using Car Play or Android Auto most of the time.

It rides great. Overall, I think it's a great vehicle.

One potential issue to think about: what if you bought the car and something went wrong with it, quickly? Would that affect your friendship?
I purchased a used KIA in 2019 with 16k miles on it. KIA (and Hyundai) transfers (reduces) the new car 100k/10 year warranty to 60k/5 years when purchased used. Should be enough time for you to evaluate and fix any issues with your purchase. I did not have any warranty issues, except the replacement software to prevent easy auto theft (no charge). But I did have nice peace of mind for about 4 years! The warranty is one of the reasons I am considering buying a new Kia or Hyundai. BTW, Kia/Hyundai transfer the original 100k/10 year warranty if the used car is certified, FYI.

https://www.planethyundai.com/is-the-hyundai-warranty-transferable/

Never owned one myself but from what I know they seem like pretty good vehicles.

+, they look cool, for an SUV, IMO.

For anyone that's interested, Consumer Reports gives dark green (top) ratings to all aspects of the 2020 Telluride's engine and transmission reliability. The latest Telluride also beats the Toyota Highlander in overall test score 87 to 80.

For anyone that's interested, Consumer Reports gives dark green (top) ratings to all aspects of the 2020 Telluride's engine and transmission reliability. The latest Telluride also beats the Toyota Highlander in overall test score 87 to 80.

I have found CR's reliability guidelines to be good when it comes to buying a new car - and especially a used car. As always, YMMV.

Thank you all!

Impressions, as I've heard elsewhere are mostly positive. Lemon risks do seem higher than they were 6 or 7 years ago, so a known vehicle has its advantages.

We'll have to see what happens in the next several months. I am concerned that the sale price will be too close to that of the vehicles I'd buy new.

Seeing that one of your other choices would be a Subaru and being the owner of both a Hyundai and a Subaru vehicle, I would simply say that a Hyundai is not a Subaru! Nor a Honda or Toyota.

Seeing that one of your other choices would be a Subaru and being the owner of both a Hyundai and a Subaru vehicle, I would simply say that a Hyundai is not a Subaru! Nor a Honda or Toyota.

Does the price difference and warranty help make up for any other differences?

Hmmmm. I wonder how a car called "Leadville" would go over.

Hey, it's not an aircraft...or a balloon

probably better than Salida (all over the place), and they couldn't use Rocky Ford, but it's certainly better than Hope (Ark)

True, I once owned a Hyundai for about 12 years. It was a Sonata and compared to my DW's Camry I could tell some quality differences, example when I drove her Camry the gas mileage was much better than when I drove my Sonata about 5 miles more per gallon.

However, my warranty was peace of mind, and when the front frame rusted out it was recalled to be replaced free.

I felt the difference in price did show between the 2 vehicles.

True, I once owned a Hyundai for about 12 years. It was a Sonata and compared to my DW's Camry I could tell some quality differences, example when I drove her Camry the gas mileage was much better than when I drove my Sonata about 5 miles more per gallon.

However, my warranty was peace of mind, and when the front frame rusted out it was recalled to be replaced free.

I felt the difference in price did show between the 2 vehicles.

Sounds like you had the best of both worlds. A solid, reliable car at a fair price AND a cut-rate car that got the job done albeit with compromises. That car too at a fair price. What a great country we live in. Choices, choices, choices. I love it.:)

I've owned several Toyotas and two Subarus, and would say that a Subaru is not a Toyota.

That said, after some issues between 60K and 100K miles, mostly recalls, very little has gone wrong with my current Subaru since.

Yes it’s interesting on quality. I would say that my sample size in Toyotas is not large enough to make the call. The only one I ever owned was a lemon but I know from others and CR that they are rock solid. Hondas have always been near bullet proof in my experience. My sole Subaru has been good but still relatively young. The build quality of all three seems much more solid than my Hyundai at the outset and more markedly 5 and 10 years later. I don’t take much solace from the warranties as I think even the Hyundai should be able to get beyond its warranty period before starting to have problems.

Hyundai/Kia used to be much cheaper than comparable Toyotas Hondas and Subarus. Not so much anymore. So what's the appeal now?

Last edited:
It used to be Hyundai/Kia used to be much cheaper than comparable Toyotas Hondas and Subarus. Not so much anymore. So what's the appeal now?

Maybe the warranty. Only thing I can figure out.

I've never owned a Subaru although many folks speak highly of them. However, in the SUV class that includes the Telluride/Palisade vehicles, the Subaru in that same class is the Ascent according to Consumer Reports. That vehicle has two features that I would try to avoid in a larger vehicle: turbocharged 4 cylinder and a continuously variable transmission. Both features are fine in smaller vehicles (although some may question that for the CVT) but in larger heavier vehicles IMHO, they just have to work too hard. I'd much prefer a naturally aspirated V6 combined with an eight speed conventional transmission and that's exactly what the Telluride/Palisade has. I would add that within that SUV class the Telluride tops the CR ratings with an overall score of 87; the Ascent lags at 76. Predicted reliability: Telluride: 59, Palisade: 54, Ascent: 44.

I've never owned a Subaru although many folks speak highly of them. However, in the SUV class that includes the Telluride/Palisade vehicles, the Subaru in that same class is the Ascent according to Consumer Reports. That vehicle has two features that I would try to avoid in a larger vehicle: turbocharged 4 cylinder and a continuously variable transmission. Both features are fine in smaller vehicles (although some may question that for the CVT) but in larger heavier vehicles IMHO, they just have to work too hard. I'd much prefer a naturally aspirated V6 combined with an eight speed conventional transmission and that's exactly what the Telluride/Palisade has. I would add that within that SUV class the Telluride tops the CR ratings with an overall score of 87; the Ascent lags at 76. Predicted reliability: Telluride: 59, Palisade: 54, Ascent: 44.

I agree. Turbo and CVT scare me. I've never had one and I'm just not sure about reliability.

prius has cvt transmission and I was skeptical when I bought mine but at 11 years old no problems with the cvt. when I looked into it I found out that a lot of the new ag machines were changing to cvt. new holland for one. my thought was if they work well enough to use in farm machinery they would probably hold up in every day use. mine has 139k miles and no problems, changed the oil once but that was for my own peace of mind as the owners manual said lifetime oil, no changes necessary.

prius has cvt transmission and I was skeptical when I bought mine but at 11 years old no problems with the cvt. when I looked into it I found out that a lot of the new ag machines were changing to cvt. new holland for one. my thought was if they work well enough to use in farm machinery they would probably hold up in every day use. mine has 139k miles and no problems, changed the oil once but that was for my own peace of mind as the owners manual said lifetime oil, no changes necessary.
The Prius actually has an e-CVT which is quite different from a conventional CVT. The latter typically uses some kind of belt/chain and cone mechanism to provide different gear ratios and that's where limitations on torque input arise. As I indicated, CVTs are fine for small vehicles. If you look at Toyota's lineup of vehicles, you'll see that their large non-hybrid vehicles like the 4Runner, Highlander, Tacoma and Tundra don't use CVTs. FYI, Subaru Ascents from the 2019-2020 model years were recalled for a defect in the CVT transmission control software.

The Prius actually has an e-CVT which is quite different from a conventional CVT. The latter typically uses some kind of belt/chain and cone mechanism to provide different gear ratios and that's where limitations on torque input arise. As I indicated, CVTs are fine for small vehicles. If you look at Toyota's lineup of vehicles, you'll see that their large non-hybrid vehicles like the 4Runner, Highlander, Tacoma and Tundra don't use CVTs. FYI, Subaru Ascents from the 2019-2020 model years were recalled for a defect in the CVT transmission control software.

How does the e-CVT w*rk (just brief in this contest.) I could look it up, but the thumbnail will be great. Thanks.

I would add that within that SUV class the Telluride tops the CR ratings with an overall score of 87; the Ascent lags at 76. Predicted reliability: Telluride: 59, Palisade: 54, Ascent: 44.

I agree. Turbo and CVT scare me. I've never had one and I'm just not sure about reliability.

The Ascent has had substantial quality problems since its introduction, which hasn't been typical for Subarus in recent years.

Except for Nissan's version, chain CVTs seem to do well enough in ordinary driving. The main issue is that an independent rebuilding industry has never developed for them, so options for repairing an out-of-warranty failure (other than valve body or torque converter) are very poor--either a $7K new unit, not including installation, from the dealer or a used transmission.

How does the e-CVT w*rk (just brief in this contest.) I could look it up, but the thumbnail will be great. Thanks.
First, I'm an engineer but not a mechanical one. Unfortunately, it's hard to produce a thumbnail that conveys a sense of the complex interaction (within the ingenious Toyota e-CVT) of two electric motor/generators and the ICE. One first has to understand how planetary gear systems work in creating gear ratios then step through how Toyota uses the motor/generators and the ICE to continuously alter effective gear ratios produced by the planetary gear system used in Toyota's e-CVT. All the while the e-CVT has to be able to start/stop the ICE on demand, blend the outputs of all three propulsion devices for optimum efficiency at different speeds and be able to utilize regenerative braking and/or power from the ICE to charge the battery. And it all is done pretty seamlessly! This five minute youtube video isn't too bad and I can't seem to find anything much better.

First, I'm an engineer but not a mechanical one. Unfortunately, it's hard to produce a thumbnail that conveys a sense of the complex interaction (within the ingenious Toyota e-CVT) of two electric motor/generators and the ICE. One first has to understand how planetary gear systems work in creating gear ratios then step through how Toyota uses the motor/generators and the ICE to continuously alter effective gear ratios produced by the planetary gear system used in Toyota's e-CVT. All the while the e-CVT has to be able to start/stop the ICE on demand, blend the outputs of all three propulsion devices for optimum efficiency at different speeds and be able to utilize regenerative braking and/or power from the ICE to charge the battery. And it all is done pretty seamlessly! This five minute youtube video isn't too bad and I can't seem to find anything much better. ....

Thanks for posting that. Now I know they are complex :LOL: :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom