Outback, CR-V, Rav 4, Prius - Help me choose

Good choice on the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE. I own the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. The oil is changed every 10K miles, but the vehicle is on a 5K service schedule. During mostly highway driving, I get 36 mpg during the summer and 34 mpg during the winter. Mileage drops about 2 mpg for mostly city driving. at 45K miles, no unexpected expenses. I think the 2019 model has lithium batteries for slightly better mileage.

Good choice on the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid LE. I own the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid XLE. The oil is changed every 10K miles, but the vehicle is on a 5K service schedule. During mostly highway driving, I get 36 mpg during the summer and 34 mpg during the winter. Mileage drops about 2 mpg for mostly city driving. at 45K miles, no unexpected expenses. I think the 2019 model has lithium batteries for slightly better mileage.

I used to joke that I could tell when the Autumn weather was turning permanently colder since my 2012 Camry hybrid would lose a couple MPG. :D And, I knew when Spring was here for good, when I got the MPG back.

The 2019 RAV4s still use NiMH batteries. The Camry hybrids were switched to Lithium, at least partly to get back some of the trunk space that was lost to the older batteries.

Chuckanut, I'm late to the party, but have another suggestion if you are still in the car market. I just went through the same search you did, and I'm 6'3", 34 inseam, size 14 feet, with two shiny new metal-and-plastic knees. I eventually settled on the Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid. It is surprisingly roomy in both the front and rear seats, both in terms of leg- and headroom (and it's easy to get into and out of...tall doors). It has a little less cargo space than the CRV and RAV4, but still enough for me, and the rear seats fold down for lots of space if there are only 1 or 2 in the car. The Niro gets mid-40's mpg, plus whatever miles you drive in EV-mode are gas-free. I bought the mid-level EX trim model, and it comes with all the new safety bells and whistles. The MSRP was $33.5k...I paid $32k, received a $1k rebate, and will get $6k in federal and state tax credits this year. That's a total of $25k plus t&l for a new, safe, crossover-looking plug-in hybrid that can drive around town (26 miles) on no gas at all. The car has fairly upright seating and better ground clearance than most sedans. No AWD is available, however.
This was interesting. I am much shorter but ease in getting in and out is important to me. When something is easy to get into it seem to be harder to get out of. No way to plug in at home but there are many plug in centers nearby. I just bought a hybrid Honda accord which I am very pleased with.Not likely to be car shopping again unless they revamp the whole system to hydrogen powered.

Hopefully they will figure out the oil dilution problem with the 2020. That MPG is pretty good, so I'm hopeful.
"...’17-’18 CR-Vs, are intended to help the engine warm up faster to prevent excessive gasoline dilution of engine oil. All ’19 models are being updated at the factory.

The repairs involve transmission and engine software changes that allow the engine to warm up quicker, reducing the possibility of unevaporated fuel collecting in the engine oil early in the drive cycle. Ignition timing, CVT control and air-conditioning operations are modified to help the engine warm up and retain heat."

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-extends-warranty-address-15l-gas-oil-dilution-problem

"...’17-’18 CR-Vs, are intended to help the engine warm up faster to prevent excessive gasoline dilution of engine oil. All ’19 models are being updated at the factory.

The repairs involve transmission and engine software changes that allow the engine to warm up quicker, reducing the possibility of unevaporated fuel collecting in the engine oil early in the drive cycle. Ignition timing, CVT control and air-conditioning operations are modified to help the engine warm up and retain heat."

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-extends-warranty-address-15l-gas-oil-dilution-problem

Software is not going to fix the problem. It may reduce the effects, but the design flaw is still present. I would not buy a Honda with a turbo, period.

A couple of interesting things since I bought the RAV4:

Toyota has announced a plug-in RAV4 in the next year.

My state license tabs includes an extra $75 fee to help pay for a charging network for EVs and plug-in hybrids. Alas, my hybrid is not a plug in, but I get to pay it anyway. Like my old grandpappy used to say, “No good deed goes untaxed.”

After going through a long power outage here, I would personally stick with a hybrid over a plug in. The hybrid Rav4 is about 40 mpg and probably the Honda CRV hybrid coming out in 2020 will be similar. Seems good enough to me.

Back
Top Bottom