Outback, CR-V, Rav 4, Prius - Help me choose

I would like to get one with some of the latest safety features such as forward collision warning FCW, Automatic Emergency Breaking AEB, and Pedestrian Detection. I think those are worth the expense of a new car.

The cars I am considering are the Subaru Outback, Honda CR-V, and Toyota Rav 4, and a hatchback Prius. If I got another sedan, it would be Camry Hybrid. But, I am thinking I would like something with a bit more upright seating and more cargo capacity.

I've had several Prius' over the years, both standard and plug-in. They are great commuter cars and good around town. They don't have great storage capacity though, and the seats aren't the best for "upright seating".

I also have a 2016 Rav4 and the DW and I absolutely love it. The safety features are great, though, I wish the lane assist was a bit stronger. We have the 360 Bird's Eye camera. Didn't think we would need it, but now we don't want to do without it. For long trips the Rav4 is much, much more comfortable than the Prius.

Don't forget that Prius also has a V model with extra cargo capacity.

The Honda CR-V is noisy. Lots of road noise. I have a 2008 CR-V that my kids use (bought used) and I wish I got something else. My neighbors had the same complaint and returned their CR-V and bought a different car.

I'll add to my prior comment. We test drove a 2016 CR-V and RAV4 one after the other at CarMax two weeks ago. The CR-V road noise reminded me of our 2002 Odyssey with 240K miles on it - meaning a lot of it. Like zero sound proofing in the floor.

I wouldn't consider any comments above on anything older than 2017 if you're buying new. Not a real comparison with all the brands' models upgrades since then.

We have latest body design version, top-of-line 2017 CR-V & love it. Safety & convenience features work great. Has the turbo 1.5L, no issues. Mainly occurs (occurred?) in very cold areas & then infrequently. Suspect latest year cars have corrected that point anyway. A nitpick is the door armrest is poorly located for me - low & back too far.

I would be hesitant to buy any Subaru in our region. The closest dealer is 90 minutes away, and he's not a very large operation. Subaru dealers simply cannot give you the best deal because they don't have pickup trucks and other hot selling vehicles to cover the light bills.

I prefer to buy vehicles that have parts available in auto salvage yards. Subaru junks are just not in close due to there being very few Subaru's sold in the Deep South. They're more of a snow car in reality.

Small SUV's is the most competitive field in the retail automobile world. And there's not a bad product being produced and sold in North America. I had one of the first V-6 Escapes and loved it. I also like the current model Escapes and their low pricing. See AkinsFord.com for ultra low prices.

I agree with Bamaman. After making 3 long road trips (golf) with my bil in his 2017 Nissan Rogue SV awd, I went ahead and bought a 2019. Reasonably priced and has alot of safety features. Not the fastest but goes fast enough and is a comfortable ride for a small suv.

My first new-bought car - a 2017 CX5 Mazda. No complaints, bought instead of a Subaru Forester. Sister and BIL have Foresters and get about 30 mpg vs my measured 24-26. They may have a bit more room; our CX5 has a higher trim level and is a bit more fun to drive. That said, it ain't in the same ball park as my 2009 BMW 328 wagon, which (at 95,00 miles) cost about 36% of what the new CX5 cost. Of course the BMW drinks premium vs. regular while getting about the same mpg. and the repair cost is way more.

Yes, the Prius v (v stands for versatile) model was only made from 2012 to 2017, so you would have to go for a late model used one. I just bought a Prius v myself this month, to have as a second car to my trusty 2004 Prius hatchback.
Got the highest trim level , which is a "5", with all the bells and whistles. Great car, very comfortable ride. After the ad valorem tax (which you now pay at time of purchase in my state rather than at your birthday) plus the first 6 months of insurance, I paid $21k for it, total. Mileage was 60k, which is nothing for a Toyota (my salesman is still driving his 1998 Camry with 300k miles)

The Prius v has about the same cargo capacity as a Rav4, and is of similar design. In fact, if I'm still alive and driving when my stable of Prius' need replacing, my choice will be a Rav4 hybrid version, if they are still being made, or a late model used one, if not.

I would personally choose between the CRV and the RAV because I like sitting up higher then in a sedan.

I'm interested in this thread because we might buy in the coming months.
The Subarus sit just as high as a CR-V or a RAV4. Some ratings organizations class the Outback and the Forester as SUVs. They’re all crossovers.

CarHeightGround Clearance
CR-V66.1”8.1”
RAV467.08.4”
Outback66.1”8.7”
Forester67.5”8.7”
Discontinued 2017.

Last edited:
I've owned Toyota Camry, Prius, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, and brother owns Subaru. My best experience has been Honda CR-V. It drives smooth, roomier, good gas mileage, and feels good. Worst one is Nissan Rogue compared to others. Prius saves the most in gas money.

Yeah, I didn't know that, but not surprised ... I never liked the look too much.
I seriously but briefly considered the Prius V when I bought my 2012 Prius. The sticker mpg was about 10 mpg lower and the price was about $10K higher - that killed the idea for me.

A nitpick is the door armrest is poorly located for me - low & back too far.
Definitely not a nitpick. I have refused to buy a car because the armrest was not in a position to serve my arm properly. A car has to fit a person which is why test driving is important.

A nitpick is the door armrest is poorly located for me - low & back too far.
FWIW, a good friend of mine has a CR-V daily driver and loves it. However, he installed a makeshift drivers side armrest a little higher up because he too was very uncomfortable with the location of the factory armrest. He’s kinda lazy, so for him to go to the effort, the factory armrest had to be pretty awful...

WOW! Lots of good information and personal experiences here. Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts. I doubt one can go to far wrong with the RAV4, CR-V or Outback. I will also toss in the Forrester for consideration.

One things I should add is that I am tall 6'2" with big feet (size 13 shoes) and a 34 inch inseam. So things like legroom and head room are very important.

Last edited:
I would be hesitant to buy any Subaru in our region. The closest dealer is 90 minutes away, and he's not a very large operation....

They are ubiquitous here in New England.

Where is the land of the Subarus? There are four states where Subaru rules the road. You can probably guess which ones. More Subarus are sold in Washington, Colorado, Maine and Connecticut than any other states. Not just more Subarus, but they are the number one selling car in their borders.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-subaru-absolutely-dominates-these-4-states

See also https://www.iseecars.com/most-subarus-by-state-2016-study

The CRV got a new turbocharged engine that has owners finding gas in their oil... its bad.

We have two Priuses. My wife drives a Prius gen3, and I drive a Prius plug-in [charged from our household solar power system]. Here in Maine a Prius is near ideal. They do great in the snow, and for crossing frozen river ice.

If I throw a stone it will hit a couple of Subies. Of course it's probably going to bounce off a Wrangler or two.

OP if you're really concerned about traction the Subaru beats the others on your list for that category. Most of the other SUVs are pretty limited in heavyweight traction delivery. I pulled out several last year, snowpacked roads and a little downhill, they sit and spin both axels.

FWIW, a good friend of mine has a CR-V daily driver and loves it. However, he installed a makeshift drivers side armrest a little higher up because he too was very uncomfortable with the location of the factory armrest. He’s kinda lazy, so for him to go to the effort, the factory armrest had to be pretty awful...
Thanks. I've thought about that too except DW is primary driver & she detests armrests in general. Nonetheless, outside that feature it's fantastic.

The CRV got a new turbocharged engine that has owners finding gas in their oil... its bad.
Is this still happening 2+ years later? It did happen on a quite low % of CR-V's in our coldest winters states only on 2017's but I thought was corrected/repaired/replaced. No?

Of the OP's original listing, the RAV4...but only the hybrid.

+1, test drove one awhile back and was duly impressed. They seem to go off the lot as soon as the arrive at the dealer. Good reviews all around on the hybrid model.

Back
Top Bottom