Perhaps the Worst Salesmen Ever.........

Oh, I forgot something. You can wash very delicate stuff in a front loader. Pretty much whatever is upstream of something so delicate that you'd only consider wetting it and wringing it out.

I thought about making a pedestal set because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $199 each for the two pedestals made for the set I bought. I got as far as trying to figure out how to get the 200+lb washing machine up on whatever I built, since there isnt enough room in there for two guys AND the machines...

I admit, I am a fan of top loaders. You probably guessed. But still, I think it's important to note that these machines last a long time (many many years) and you use them often. It's best to get the kind that YOU want. You use it so much over such a long time that even a 2x price difference still doesn't amount to much.

I thought about making a pedestal set because I sure as hell wasnt going to pay $199 each for the two pedestals made for the set I bought. I got as far as trying to figure out how to get the 200+lb washing machine up on whatever I built, since there isnt enough room in there for two guys AND the machines...

Just tilt them and use leverage! It's been working so well for the financial institutions. ;)

Hey, I'm the guy that got two big screen tv's into the house by myself...

I dont think theres room for tilting or leveraging. I'll have to take a picture of my laundry room and post it. It looked so big when it was empty. I have no idea how they got these two humongous machines in there...they were delivered when I wasnt home...

I'm sure a lot of cursing was involved.

I find the front loaders to be easier to unload than a top loader. I put a low laundry basket in front of the door and just sort of roll out the wet laundry. Because it has been spun out so effectively, it is also lighter. Then I slide the basket over to the dryer and roll the laundry in. When dry, I roll it out into the basket again. No heavy lifting.

I don't have a pedestal.

I am very short. With the top loader I could never seem to reach in and get that errant coin or two. The front loader is much easier for me.

I am very short. With the top loader I could never seem to reach in and get that errant coin or two. The front loader is much easier for me.

Attachments

• step stool.jpg
    step stool.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 79
Agh!! REW, that photo brings back (icky) memories of childhood. My mother had a stepstool by the washer in the basement so that we kids could unload the laundry. Then we had to drag the wet laundry upstairs and out to the clothesline, and use another stool to hang it on the clothesline.

(After that, we'd walk 10 miles barefoot through the snow to school, uphill both ways....) :D

Lots of good info, thanks!!! Not sure what I'm going to do, although the transmission noise is getting louder..........gotta make amove in the next week or so or deal with the wrath of DW.........:)

Lots of good info, thanks!!! Not sure what I'm going to do, although the transmission noise is getting louder..........gotta make amove in the next week or so or deal with the wrath of DW.........:)

You're right - - this calls for immediate action!! I'd suggest going to another appliance store. Surely there is some place in town that will sell you what you want and that would be helpful.

You're right - - this calls for immediate action!! I'd suggest going to another appliance store. Surely there is some place in town that will sell you what you want and that would be helpful.

There's a 3 generation family owned appliance store about 15 miles north of me. I have heard good things about them. I'm sure I'll pay a little more but we'll see.

DW is not that hip on craiglist. Our current set was bought off there, was allegedly only one years old, and that was 4 years ago, and the washer is toast, so she's a little leery.......;)

Darned DH keeps fixing ours every time they break, so I'll never get to replace our now 15 year old set. The last thing wrong with the dryer he fixed after I asked here for ideas, so he got the parts from this awesome PartsDirect place. Although the rust holes in the top of the washer are pretty hideous, I can't seem to get all worked up about it.
I doubt even the benefits outlined above would sway me to a pricier model. I like the idea of buying the cheapest new units and hanging on to them. And the family owned store in our town has great prices, FD, you should probably ask them to price match your best offer from the big guys.

Sarah, I like our family-owned store, too. They actually know what they are talking about. How refreshing. So, often they save me money by showing me options I might not have considered. Also they will match Best Buy or any of the other big box stores, even when the big box store is having a sale.

Last time I got them to match the price, and got free delivery and installation for both washer and gas dryer.

Craig's List? I looked in the Boston's household and electronics section. There are no 50" plasmas or LCDs for sale, and there aren't any stainless ranges and fridges either.
That's a shame. You'd figure it would really catch on in a major metropolis.

We keep thinking of Hawaii as a quiet little backwater of Internet connectivity, but our Craigslist has plenty of activity-- especially the June-August "back to the Mainland" moving season and the post-Christmas "gotta pay the bills" clearances.

We're starting to see 50" TVs on sale because the owners are "upgrading"...

Pretty good bet is going into sams club right after the christmas and the super bowl. Lots of people get sets for christmas and take them back, or they get them to watch the playoffs on and then return them.

Sams club wipes them down and puts them on sale for about 30% off, usually off to the side or back of the store.

Last superbowl our sams club had about 40 plasma/lcd sets lined up with sale stickers on them... ::)

Back
Top Bottom