Persistent smoke smell - what to do?

This article says using oil based paint indoors is a no-no.

"Because of their toxic fumes, true enamel or oil-based paints are a big no-no for interiors and depending on where you live, may be illegal for both interior and exterior use. “As VOCs vaporize, they cause accelerated depletion of the earth’s ozone, resulting in ground level ozone,” explains Savino. “The EPA has banned the use of oil paints in several states with high ozone levels because of ingredients (oil, mineral spirits) that have higher levels of VOCs than water-based paint.”

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/can-you-use-exterior-paint-inside/

I know you said it would be covered, but still why chance introducing a new problem to save a few bucks.

I've used them in the past, so I guess I caused the global warming. :facepalm:
Sure, they have VOC's so I don't like using them and am sure to open the windows when using them.

I recommended it for a problem OP is having with the awful smell in 1 room, not the entire house and the exterior of the house.

In a couple of day's I'm going to use an old can of oven cleaner, it's probably banned as well.

I believe this is wise advice, especially if you have central HVAC, and no ceiling fan, where it's not practical to modify the system to circulate the ClO2 just in that room. I doubt you want to treat the whole house.

OP could tape plastic over the air vents, or just turn off the A/C for the day while using the Ozone machine or other gas producing product. And throw a towel wrapped in a garbage bag across the bottom of the door.

Stick a regular cheap fan in the room to move the air.

Remove valuable things from the room like computer, leather furniture, paintings, etc.

Take the carpet and pad out. Paint the plywood subfloor with Kilz primer. 2 coats. Caulk the joint between subfloor and bottom plates of walls. Duct tape joints in subfloor. Paint the walls and ceiling with Kilz primer. 2 coats. Paint the trim and doors with kilz primer or re-stain. Repaint the walls, ceiling, and trim with finish paint. Install new pad and carpet. Clean the ducts/ install new furnace filter. Get new window treatments.

Try to use oil base paint as others have said.

That should do it.

The smell is only in that one room.

The carpet and padding are new as of this spring. The odor seemed to disappear after the carpet was installed, and has only recently begun to be very noticeable. It's as if smokers are hiding in the walls.

This tells me the smell is coming from the subfloor, same as if a dog/cat had peed a few times in the room.

Takes me back to pull up the carpet, paint the floor, caulk around the edge and put the carpet back down and clean it.

But now that I have looked up Ozone generators , they are cheap. So I'd empty the room, go out for the day, maybe do it a few times.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/ozone%20generator?NCNI-5

If it doesn't work, you can always return the device and tell them it doesn't work as maybe that one is defective, how does one know it produces ozone :confused:

Last edited:
There is no subfloor, just a concrete slab. Of course that could absorb odor, too.

Take the carpet and pad out. Paint the plywood subfloor with Kilz primer. 2 coats.

Try to use oil base paint as others have said.

That should do it.

Good suggestions! For me, it doesn't have to be perfect, as my sense of smell is not as acute as most people's. I probably won't pull up the carpet and pad, which I'd then have to hire somebody to put back down. I'll give the O3 machine a go. And I think I'll paint the shelves inside the closet, where the smoke smell seems strongest. That will be a pesky job, but at least I don't need to hire somebody.

My father was a big smoker. Spent most of the time in his living room. The room reeked of smoke. After he passed, I painted the walls with kilz (oil base IIRC), painted the trim, and replaced the drapes and carpet.

That got rid of the smell.

If you think the smell is emanating from the closet, perhaps try putting some activated charcoal in there and keep the door shut.

It wouldn’t solve the problem, but could you use another room for your office?

I've already got things, including beds, in the other bedrooms and this is the best one for an office. I use the closet for office-related stuff and general storage.

If you think the smell is emanating from the closet, perhaps try putting some activated charcoal in there and keep the door shut.

It wouldn’t solve the problem, but could you use another room for your office?

Our home had lingering smoke smells from the room doors and sliding closet doors and from inside the closets. Refinishing the doors got rid of most of it, but for years I'd still get a faint whiff from inside a couple of the closets where we didn't repaint.

Good suggestions! For me, it doesn't have to be perfect, as my sense of smell is not as acute as most people's. I probably won't pull up the carpet and pad, which I'd then have to hire somebody to put back down. I'll give the O3 machine a go. And I think I'll paint the shelves inside the closet, where the smoke smell seems strongest. That will be a pesky job, but at least I don't need to hire somebody.

As I posted earlier, shampoo the carpet and add OdoBan (or an equivalent) to the solution). I can vouge for it's effectivity.

Good, I'll keep Odoban in mind. Meanwhile, this is new brand-new carpet and padding - which means the smell is coming from more basic places, as others have noted.

As I posted earlier, shampoo the carpet and add OdoBan (or an equivalent) to the solution). I can vouge for it's effectivity.

I’ve read somewhere that Sheetrock can absorb smoke odor. You may want to change the Sheetrock out in that room…

A buddy who has cleaned carpets his whole life uses high % Vinegar for the strongest smelling jobs (think cat pee).

Also, this primer is the bomb for pretty much everything, imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211027-051607.jpg
    Screenshot_20211027-051607.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 31
It's common for air purifiers using a charcoal filter to also incorporate a low grade ozone generator. This is obviously safe for an occupied space. Perhaps this can work to maintain an odor-free condition after the initial blast with a powerful ozone generator.

I’ve read somewhere that Sheetrock can absorb smoke odor. You may want to change the Sheetrock out in that room…

Depending on the size of the closet maybe put some nice paneling inside the closet...way less mess.

Also, the insulation behind the sheetrock and wall studs can soak up the smoke smell.

Removing the wall plates for light switches/plugs is a good idea.

Then use the ozone device. Set it for a weekend when the house will be empty.

Definitely an ozone generator.

Had the rooms repainted & ducts steam-cleaned as well for my late relative who was literally the heaviest smoker I've ever known (and both my late parents smoked, one up to the end)

Still took running an ozone generator for the maximum cycle (3 hour timer) over a few days to get rid of the smell of smoke in the house.

Same for their car...even had it steam-cleaned when I had the ducts on the home done...still took a full cycle of the ozone generator to eliminate the lingering smell of smoke.

Last edited:
I've found through painful experience that tobacco smoke goes everywhere there is any amount of airflow, including insulation which is particularly susceptible because of the large mount of surface area. Smoke sticks to everything. You may be fortunate that you have a reduced sense of smell & thus don't need to be as thorough as someone who has a sensitive nose. Paint covers it but doesn't eliminate the smell completely. As far as I'm concerned it's a toxic substance & needs to be treated accordingly. I worked in a mental health facility that had heavy smoking until it was banned in 1999. When I worked in the patient areas I had to take a shower after finishing work. The residual smoke was never completely removed after numerous attempts. The solution was to rebuild the building from the outer walls in about 10 years later. Sorry to be such a downer. On a related note, I once toured an opium den during a tour of a historic area. 50 years after it had been abandoned the smell of smoked opium was still present. It was in an underground room with little ventilation. I'll never forget that tour.

My parents smoked. My father stopped in 1992; my mother tried to stop but took it outside, and passed away in 2002.

We had some items from their house that I tried to use in our lives. 18 years later, decluttering during the pandemic, all items went into the trash. Anything with wood, even knife handles, still smelled of tobacco. I couldn’t get the smoke smell out of marble bookends.

Good luck.

Give it time. Once I quit smoking it took 2 full years for the "dirty ashtray" smell to vanish. It'll be winter soon open up those windows and turn on some fans.

Back
Top Bottom