Phrase that came out of the blue

In high school in the mid 70's, I referred to less than average intelligent girls as "ditzs or ditzes", or they were "ditzy", a saying I might have picked up from my dad. But I can't recall. I w*rked in a 99.5% male dominated field 35 years, and never heard it again outside my family. I heard people using it the other day when in the grocery store.

I don't even want to know what girls called me back then. Or now.

A very close friend, that passed 2 years ago, use to say "to make a long story short" all the time. I would count how many times he would use it during a conversation. Since he died every time I hear some one say it, it brings back good memories of a good friend.

A very close friend, that passed 2 years ago, use to say "to make a long story short" all the time. I would count how many times he would use it during a conversation. Since he died every time I hear some one say it, it brings back good memories of a good friend.

That’s pretty common still but often shortened to “Long story short, ...”.

I like it for several reasons.

I first started noticing this phrase recently. The phrase is true dat. What? Where did this phrase come from? I can live with it, but I will not use it.

I started hearing it back in the mid to late 1990. If you are just hearing it now, you must be old AF.....

Now AF is fairly recent......

I don't understand when responding to a question, the responder begins with the word "so". How is your mom? So, she's..... Who did you vote for? So, I think...… How is your job going ? So, I had.....

Watch on TV interviews, I see it all the time. Where did this come from?

So I had like this literally outrageous like totally bogus thing happen...

So I had like this literally outrageous like totally bogus thing happen...
So, absolutely, man. Word, Awesome post. Irregardless or others, I don't disagree at all. Actually, it's far out. No problem, dude, as long as you're not trying to disrupt, reach out or lean in. If not, you're good - literally.True dat. And if so, my bad.

Last edited:
So, absolutely, man. Word, Awesome post. Irregardless or others, I don't disagree at all. Actually, it's far out. No problem, dude, as long as you're not trying to disrupt, reach out or lean in. If not, you're good - literally.True dat. And if so, my bad.

Well done!! :LOL:

One of the best things that happened in retirement is to not have to listen to people in meetings trying to interject the phrase "lean in" every time they spoke. It appeared from nowhere - at least to me - about 5 years b4 retirement & drove me nuts after the 3rd instance in a week. I was nuts a lot. I have heard it once since I left.

Oh, I agree. My personal favorite is "reach out" instead of calling or contacting someone. Why use two words when one will do?

I find the phrase "thank you for patiently waiting" quite annoying. It must be taught o phone reps, because I hear it no matter who I call. I can pretty much guarantee I wasn't patiently waiting.

That, and "gotcha". An old phrase that has reappeared in the millennial generation. No matter what information you pass along, the response is "gotcha". It works, but just the repetition makes it annoying.

Gotcha.

Says my Millennial offspring.

I heard that saying “true dat” on the TV series The Wire, about the drug problems in Baltimore and the police trying to control it. I thought the series was very good, but that is where I heard “true dat”

Verbs-as-nouns was infuriating to me the last few years prior to retirement. "What is the ask here?" "What is the solve for this problem?"

I had this cartoon up on my cubicle wall:
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2013/03/31/sunday-review/31DRAFT/31DRAFT-tmagArticle.jpg

Couple more rants...

Talking around issues rather than about them.

Using the word premise when you are talking a building instead of premises.

I still hear these by people on TV trying to sound smart, but not so much in my real life now I don't w**k... Which "begs the question". OK, gotta stop now...

My neighbor is a retired postal worker and says true dat. Sounds Jersey Shore to me when I hear it.

Millennials do say gotcha...a lot. And "I can see that". The millennial phrase that makes me crazy is "sounds about right". It just strikes me as dismissive or I hear what you said and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and if I were to repeat myself to impress upon them that nothing I said should be doubted the response would be "I hear ya".

What really bugs me is incorrect usage of "Myself".......people on the radio (or elsewhere) saying "Call myself at.....", etc.

Arrrgh!

Oh, oh ... what about "Does that make sense?" after every statement.

"Speaks to", as in "The article speaks to the issue of.... " No dude, the article doesn't speak to anything. And if it did speak, it would speak *about*, not *to*. Barf!!

"if you will". Drives me nuts because it adds nothing, and people who use it usually say it often. Most of the time I mutter under my breath "and what if I won't?"

"Let's take this off-line." "I know, right?" "I'm down!" "Don't go there."

Uh as a spacer in speech and conversation.

heh heh heh - So did 'so' replace it. :D :LOL: :facepalm:

I always hated “my bad”. It just sounds so flipped when a true apology is warranted. It’s like taking responsibility for something and blowing it off all in two words.

"I feel ya";)

Back
Top Bottom