Phrase that came out of the blue

At a recent staff meeting, our company president reached out to all of us and then leaned in on best practices we need to follow to achieve our mission statement. All of the stakeholders present were asked to mindfully keep our core values in the forefront as we interface daily with our colleagues on campus (note: we are not now and never have been an educational institution of any kind). But apparently we work on a "campus."

So, for real, I’m thinking I might actually have to shoot myself before I reach my retirement date of Dec. 2020. Either that, or purchase anti-nausea meds in bulk to get through the next 16 months.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

At a recent staff meeting, our company president reached out to all of us and then leaned in on best practices we need to follow to achieve our mission statement. All of the stakeholders present were asked to mindfully keep our core values in the forefront as we interface daily with our colleagues on campus (note: we are not now and never have been an educational institution of any kind). But apparently we work on a "campus."

So, for real, I’m thinking I might actually have to shoot myself before I reach my retirement date of Dec. 2020. Either that, or purchase anti-nausea meds in bulk to get through the next 16 months.
Maybe your president has lost the bubble. Perhaps you should circle back and touch base with him about the new paradigm so you can put it to bed.

Maybe your president has lost the bubble. Perhaps you should circle back and touch base with him about the new paradigm so you can put it to bed.

Oh lord - the dreaded circling back. :ROFLMAO:

I first started noticing this phrase recently. The phrase is true dat. What? Where did this phrase come from? I can live with it, but I will not use it. It just sounds weird to me.
When did this phrase get started ? Does anybody know?

If there are other phrases that other posters wonder about feel free to post them here. I realize that languages constantly change, I get that. The English language is probably the World master at that, or at least in the running for it. Does it start with a popular song and people just get used to a new phrase or does somebody just make up some words and it becomes a new thing?

You hear it in Texas a lot. It originated in Louisiana as far as I know. My cajun friends still say it, as do their kids. Watch the (I think HBO show Treme... You'll hear it there.

This should have filled out your bull$&#* bingo card. I don't see synergy in that list but then synergy is so 1995.

"I know, right?"

This one always catches my attention. In my experience girls/women are the users about 90% of the time with one exception among my circle friends. When it is used and the way it is used generally makes me feel like we have really connected in relation to the topic we are discussing. LOL

This one always catches my attention. In my experience girls/women are the users about 90% of the time with one exception among my circle friends. When it is used and the way it is used generally makes me feel like we have really connected in relation to the topic we are discussing. LOL

I know, right? LOL. I noticed this in northern California maybe less than 10 years ago? It started with a younger crowd (boys and girls both) and the older generations (up to 40? But only women) started saying it too.

I just looked up this expression and it was listed on "7 things you need to stop saying if you're over 30".
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/7-things-you-totes-need-to-stop-saying-if-youre-over-30_b_4375298

The other day a boomer at work was upset I didn’t know “longhand” - guess that’s what they called cursive. Thought it was fundamental to education (guess they didn’t realize his generation made the decision at the time to stop including it in education). I never understood why people have such strong opinions they want to force on others. But I guess if you turn on Fox News, they always seem to be shouting it at you (because they are angry or because their audience can’t hear?)
I am pretty sure longhand is a thing. You know, as opposed to shorthand, which used be a thing. We were taught these things sooner rather than later. Now they are not taught at all, I'm not gonna lie. But I disagree with it totally.

Last edited:
What really bugs me is incorrect usage of "Myself".......people on the radio (or elsewhere) saying "Call myself at.....", etc.

Arrrgh!
People use that when they're not sure whether to say me or I.

A neighbor had a phone message that said, "Please leave a message for Mary or I." Because his wife is a stickler for things, I told her it should be "Mary or me."

Next time I called, the message said, "Please leave a message for Mary or myself."

A neighbor had a phone message that said, "Please leave a message for Mary or I." Because his wife is a stickler for things, I told her it should be "Mary or me."

Next time I called, the message said, "Please leave a message for Mary or myself."
Yes. People have been taught not to say "me" and it is sad how few people know how to use "I" versus "me".

Well according to my second grade teacher, all you have to do is say the phrase without the other person to know which one to use. I.e. if you're confused about whether to use "Mary and I" or "Mary and me", just say the phrase without "Mary and" and the correct usage becomes clear.

That's what Mrs Harriet said- I don't get corrected much- but perhaps nobody else knows the right way to say it either...
Yes. People have been taught not to say "me" and it is sad how few people know how to use "I" versus "me".

"Ah, youse guys." :LOL:

I have a friend who uses "myself" in all places, it seems. "Myself and Mary are going shopping." How does she think that sounds at all correct?

ugeauxgirl said:
Well according to my second grade teacher, all you have to do is say the phrase without the other person to know which one to use. I.e. if you're confused about whether to use "Mary and I" or "Mary and me", just say the phrase without "Mary and" and the correct usage becomes clear.
That's the guideline I've heard and used as well. So my friend's sentence becomes "Myself are (is? am?) going shopping."

Had a Hong Kong born Canadian coworker in Riyadh......he was perplexed by the number of times he saw it's and its used incorrectly.

As he (rhetorically) asked, "What's so (expletive deleted) difficult?"

Last edited:
That's what I was taught as well.

Another phrase that gets me "No worries"
So if I decline an invitation "No worries"
Or if I have a conflict and can't attend something "No worries"
What the heck? What am I worrying about or is the person making plans "not worrying" that I can't attend? Where does worrying enter the picture?

Another phrase that gets me "No worries"
So if I decline an invitation "No worries"
Or if I have a conflict and can't attend something "No worries"
What the heck? What am I worrying about or is the person making plans "not worrying" that I can't attend? Where does worrying enter the picture?

"No worries mate" used to be (perhaps it still is) a ubiquitous response in Oz.

Around these parts, I have had quite enough of YMMV. I mean really, doesn't that pretty much go without saying?

"No worries mate" used to be (perhaps it still is) a ubiquitous response in Oz.
The first time I heard anyone say "No worries" came from an Australian guy who was visiting our company on business. (This was in the early 90s). And some of my co-workers had to go to Australia on business (Brisbane) and one guy started using that expression too.

Back
Top Bottom