Poll: Bucket Lists

What have you checked off your bucket list so far?

• Build your own house

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Buy a yacht

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Climb a mountain like Everest

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Dedicate time to volunteering

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Deep sea dive

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Dine at Michelin star restaurant

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Complete Outward Bound or equivalent (miliary course)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Go on an African safari

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • Go skydiving

• Hot air balloon ride

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Learn to fly a plane/helicopter

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Learn to surf

• Live & work abroad OR start & run your dream business

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Run a marathon OR ride a century (bike) ride

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • See the Northern lights

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Swim with dolphins/sharks

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Travel the world (3 or more continents)

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • Trek the Great Wall of China

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Try out an F1 car/NASCAR/dragster

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Write a novel

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
That bucket list reads like a money pit.

Being frugal is a pretty hard habit for me to shake. I have goals, not a bucket list, but most of my goals involve cheap hobbies, living some place scenic and fun but inexpensive, and mastering skills that would be revenue neutral or make money, not things that would cost a lot to learn or do.

I have never taken an Outward Bound course, but we did belong to an adventure co-op with cheap equipment rentals, lots of inexpensive wilderness and river trips, and members teaching other members skills for free, like whitewater rafting and kayaking.

Last edited:
I answered that I've done three of these: build a house (it was for a relative, but we built it from the ground up), see the Northern Lights (by accident near where we live, so it wasn't as special as if we saw it in Canada or Greenland), and run a marathon.

I came close to including a few others: volunteering (I've volunteed many times. I consider it more of an obligation than a bucket list item.), fly a plane (I once flew a paraplane - a powered parachute. The skill required isn't close to what is needed to pilot a real plane.), and travel the world (I've traveled in Europe, Asia, and North America. But IMHO Canada doesn't count and the only time I've been in Mexico was for a half day cross-border hop. There's a good chance we'll go to Costa Rica some day. If we do, I would consider that I qualify as a "world traveler", even though my list of continents hasn't changed. DW definitely qualifies already, since she's been in Australia.)

I would be at least mildly interested in doing most of the other items on the list, although with some modifications to suit my own tastes. I probably wouldn't go all the way to China to trek the Great Wall, for example, but I've often thought it would be a great adventure to either bike all the way across the U.S. or to hike the entire Appalachian Trail.

Looked back at the list and I see that I have done two of the items. About 30 years ago I had a friend that owned a hot air balloon so rode in that. I have seen and heard the northern lights more times than I can count.

I responded and then relooked at the list and realized that I've actually done more than I thought ! I've been to Asia (2 days in Hong Kong for work), London (again for work), several cities in the US for fun !, and South America (for vacation) so I guess I'm a world traveler ! I wouldn't have thought that about myself - pretty amazing.

I owned a 26' [-]boat [/-]money pit for about 6 months. I think 26' defines a yacht (or maybe its 27 ft). So maybe I owned a yacht. If anything qualified as "bucket list" in that experience, it was selling her ! :LOL:

I only checked off one - volunteering. I have visited several continents, but only Asia and North America since ER so I didn't count that. And didn't think to check off (land) yacht for our RV.

I've been thinking recently that I'm in a bit of a rut and would like to plan/do some new things. Unfortunately, most of that will now have to be solo or with friends as DH's physical condition has taken a sharp turn for the worse in the last 2 months and he no longer feels up to the long RV trips we had planned for this year, and no other travel is comfortable for him at all. On top of that, both my mother and my FIL have had a downturn in their health requiring some not-fun time and travel. (I basically have to stand-in for DH in helping his father.)

One major volunteer activity I am involved in lasts through mid-2015 and the other through the end of 2016, although the time commitment on both will lessen during the last year. So it's time to start planning some battery recharging activities I think. Thanks for the inspiration to get working on it!

The two coolest things I've done from that list is swim with lemon sharks in Tahiti (we weren't in a cage and they were very tame sharks) and drive a NASCAR in the Richard Petty driving school. Got the car to 140 on the tiny Las Vegas speedway track. Both experiences were quite a rush.

I've done several of the things in the poll, but I never had a list. I just try to do things I enjoy and go places that I want to visit as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom