Poll:"internet" or "Internet"

Which is true for you?

• I think "Internet" should be capitalized, and if I see it lowercase, I notice the error.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • I think "internet" should not be capitalized, and if I see it capitalized, I notice the error

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have never really noticed this, and I don't care either way

Votes: 33 58.9%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have seen arguments for and against capitalizing the word "internet." I know which I think is correct, but in my book I want to use the spelling that most people think is correct.

After you vote, you can read this.

I have seen it both ways. Does not matter to me.

What's the book going to be about?

I voted for lower case, but most of my spelling checkers make me capitalize it.

As a scrabble player in North America, I can say it is not an acceptable word in our clubs and tourneys because it is still considered a proper noun (capitalized). However, it is acceptable in scrabble clubs and tourneys outside of North America, from my recollection of a list of words in their words source (SOWPODS) but not in ours (OWL).

Personally, outside of scrabble, I don't care if it gets capitalized or not.

I have seen it both ways. Does not matter to me.

What's the book going to be about?

It's called Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

It will be available on Amazon in a week or so.

It's not a proper noun, so it shouldn't be capitalized. You don't "surf Internet." You "surf the internet", just like you "shop at the grocery store" or you "shop at Von's."

I'm guessing it gets capitalized because people think of it as THE Internet.

But it has always had a generic feel to it (for me), no different from "the stock market."

It's not a proper noun, so it shouldn't be capitalized. You don't "surf Internet." You "surf the internet", just like you "shop at the grocery store" or you "shop at Von's."

Just read the link... kinda funny, someone used "God" as an example. Uh... not quite the same.

I am a god.

I am God.

There's a difference.

If we really want to get technical, we "surf the World Wide Web" too, so who knows what the right answer really is. I will continue to not capitalize it.

I think internet should be in lowercase.

But I say that with flashbacks to grade school english class where only a handful of words that don't start a sentence should be capitalized. That said, should "english" been capitalized? I need a cheat-cheat.

I voted for "Internet." It's a bit of a moot point: Now that the US govt (Commerce Dept) will be relinquishing control over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), I think there will be a push for a new French name for the Internet. Or maybe Esperanto.

Well, you left out an option.... but I voted anyway...

I HAVE noticed, but do not care...

None of the above.

Spell checkers seem to want it capitalized, I may ignore them. I would not consider either to be 'in error'.

Haven't really given it much thought, but I suppose if I was referring specifically to the entire structure of the Internet, and it's governing bodies, then I would lean towards capitals because it seems I'm talking about a specific thing, kind of like saying 'Washington Park'. So maybe " I wonder when the Internet will drop ipv4 access, and move entirely to ipv6".

But if I was to say "I'll need to get internet access when I get to town" , then I feel like I'm just talking more generically, like I might say "When I get to town, I'll see if I can find a nice park to have a picnic". I would not capitalize 'park' or 'internet', because I'm not being specific in that usage.

That probably does not help at all! :LOL:

edit/add: I see I pretty much cross posted with #6 & #7 (they were more succinct :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
I always understood The Internet to be a proper noun, like a building name. Wikipedia explains that the Internet standards groups traditionally viewed it that way as well.

I have seen arguments for and against capitalizing the word "internet." I know which I think is correct, but in my book I want to use the spelling that most people think is correct.

After you vote, you can read this.
The problem with not viewing it as a proper noun is that assumes there are multiple internets but there is only one global network of networks governed by Internet standards bodies and address registrars - the Internet. There are lots of subnets, and alternets but they are not the Internet. A device can be on a subnet and on the Internet or on a subnet, but not on the Internet. But if your device is on the Internet it is on the Internet.

I guess since there's uncertainty, or folks really haven't thought about it, one can't go wrong either way :D

I started capitalizing it to please my spell checker.

I found the sales category for Al's book, btw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 87
It is spelled Internet. There's only one.

But I'll forgive those poor lost misguided souls who flunked English class.:LOL:

(IRL, I hardly notice which way. It isn't something to expend a lot of energy thinking about.)

The problem with not viewing it as a proper noun is that assumes there are multiple internets but there is only one global network of networks governed by Internet standards bodies and address registrars - the Internet. There are lots of subnets, and alternets but they are not the Internet. A device can be on a subnet and on the Internet or on a subnet, but not on the Internet. But if your device is on the Internet it is on the Internet.

I agree. Capitalization is dependent on the answer to a technicality of sorts - if one is referring to the Internet, or World Wide Web, yes it is capitalized. And that is perhaps old school already, but my Little, Brown Compact Handbook, 3rd ed. and most available style guides will agree. More recent arguments have surfaced claiming the distinction between any and all networks interconnections to have become somewhat irrelevant, and that adopting the standard of most anywhere but the US of not capitalizing makes more sense. I could also agree with that, but my editor self says no, that is not how I was taught to do it.

Well, you left out an option.... but I voted anyway...

I HAVE noticed, but do not care...

+1. I would have chosen this one had it been present. I thought the "I don't care" part of the third option was closest.

As the thread slowly dribbles down the list of current posts... :LOL:
A question for scrabbler1...

Where are the official U.S. Scrabble rules?....

and are two letter words legal?... Grandson has memorized ALL of the two letter words, and is whomping everyone, upsetting the whole family.

Back
Top Bottom