Poll: Peanut Butter

Which peanut butter is your favorite? Jelly or no jelly? Check as many as you wish.

• Smooth

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • Crunchy

Votes: 86 49.4%
  • natural/organic, the kind that separates

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • With jelly

Votes: 51 29.3%
  • Without jelly

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don't like peanut butter!

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • None of these choices apply for me.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
I like the natural kind of PB. It separates unless stored in the fridge. And, when removed from the fridge, it is often too stiff to spread. So, I put the jar into the microwave oven for about 15 seconds to soften it up. That works okay if the jar is glass, but not so well if the jar is plastic because often, despite my best effort to remove it all, there's a >tiny< scrap of the paper/foil seal still stuck to the rim of the jar, and it makes quite a loud light show in the microwave oven.
So, now I spoon out the PB for my sandwich onto a small plate and heat it there.

That's un-American! OK, I think I recall you were not born here, but when in Rome, do as the Romans!

Do you like hummus? There is some similarity to peanut butter, I think. The peanut is a legume, and hummus is made from Chickpeas (a legume).

What about Chicken sate', that is a peanut butter sauce, with hot sauce flavors?

-ERD50

That's right, I was not born here. And when I came, was too old to adopt the habit. Kids here grow up on PB sandwich. Well, perhaps except mine. My wife does eat PB sandwich, but I do not know if she fed the kids.

I can eat hummus, but am indifferent to it. Peanut butter sauce with chicken sate, yes, I am no stranger to it, but not crazy about it either.

Come to think of it, there's probably a jar of JIF in my fridge (the name sounds familiar). However, it can be in my line of vision and is just invisible. It just does not register. Strange?

Me too, because I don't need the extra sugar. Not that PB and bread don't have a lot of sugar in them already... :LOL:

More nutritive value in a banana, but about the same amount of sugar as preserves, i.e. about 14g. Double the jelly for me, though...

That's right, I was not born here. And when I came, was too old to adopt the habit. Kids here grow up on PB sandwich. Well, perhaps except mine. My wife does eat PB sandwich, but I do not know if she fed the kids.

I can eat hummus, but am indifferent to it. Peanut butter sauce with chicken sate, yes, I am no stranger to it, but not crazy about it either.

Come to think of it, there's probably a jar of JIF in my fridge (the name sounds familiar). However, it can be in my line of vision and is just invisible. It just does not register. Strange?

Although others will disagree, I don't think of JIF or SKIPPY as very good peanut butters. Like I said, the Trader Joe's does it for me. No added sugars or anything other than roasted peanuts and salt.

Peanut butter is an American phenomenon. Following is a sample list of a few countries that do not eat peanut butter, and I would say they are the norm and not the exception.

You Won't Believe How Hard It Is To Find Peanut Butter In These Countries

What's the origin of peanut butter? It was invented at the end of 19th century, but did not become popular until the Great Depression.

The History of Peanut Butter

Interesting. Growing up in USA, we were taught that George Washington Carver invented peanut butter. Or maybe that's just my memory? Something about him developing many uses for the peanut, and that helped farmers in the South. As a legume, I think peanuts capture Nitrogen from the air and fertilize the soil. The South was depleting their land growing cotton. But then we learned how to make nitrogen fertilizer from oil, and everything changed.

Also, George Washington Carver was black (or African American, or Negro, or whatever term they used at the time), so it was a sort of motivational story as well. If this man could succeed with so many obstacles, then surely we should be able to apply ourselves and succeed. At least that's how I read it at the time (the 60's, a time of great racial tensions in the US).

I also recall hearing about how years ago, the US was dropping food and other aid packages by parachute to war torn areas of Afghanistan. The food packs included peanut butter (high in protein, needs no refrigeration, cheap), and there was talk about how a Middle Eastern person would not know that Peanut Butter was food. Really? If I was starving, I'd figure it out. As I said, not that very different from hummus.

-ERD50

Even though it is supposedly actuarially neutral, I did not come to this forum to defend my choices in peanut butter!

I simply am looking for people that agree with me to validate my opinions!

I put natural/organic but am not bothered if they are organic or not. I just look for ingredients: 100% peanuts.

I prefer my PB naked, without any jelly.

I love PB. Smooth or chunky, with or without J. Naked or dressed. On bread, crackers, or whatever. It's all good to me. :)

Crunchy only please, spread on a hamburger bun with red bell pepper slices added (a newly discovered combo). It is now my main go to lunch sandwich.

Wow - only a tiny minority have selected "I don't like peanut butter" (myself included, although I don't really dislike it either). I'm guessing a lot of the non-likers just skipped this thread when they saw the subject line.

Smooth in my chocolate protein shake and Crunchy on celery and anything else. Sometimes in Thai curry.

Cheers!

Natural/smooth eaten by the spoonful out of the jar/container. Usually Smuckers or from the Publix deli. Coal (black lab) also gets a spoonful every evening for a treat. My diet is fairly low carb so no bread/crackers.

Wow - only a tiny minority have selected "I don't like peanut butter" (myself included, although I don't really dislike it either). I'm guessing a lot of the non-likers just skipped this thread when they saw the subject line.

Many are unable to vote. Used to be able to hit Web view from Android and use polls. Now you can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I haven't eaten PB for 25 years. But when I did, it was smooth, preferably Jif, my brand of choice. I still have the plastic jars I often use for food storage, though.

When I was young, PB (crunchy, of course) was used to fill the groove in a stalk of celery. I was ridiculously anal about exactly filling the groove, but it was my favorite snack.

I would have voted for crunchy, but the DW only wants smooth, so that's what she buys and that is what I'm forced to eat...unless I was to get off my butt and go buy some myself.

I would have voted for crunchy, but the DW only wants smooth, so that's what she buys and that is what I'm forced to eat...unless I was to get off my butt and go buy some myself.

Keep some roasted peanuts or almonds, or other nut of choice on hand. Smash some up with the side of a knife on a cutting board (like smashing garlic). Add that to the creamy for some added crunch and flavor.

I guess it is easier to add crunchy bits than to try to separate them out! The onus is on you to keep peace in the family! ;)

-ERD50

It had better have peanuts and salt and nothing else. Preferably organic. I don't want no sweeteners or partially hydrogenated crap to keep it from separating.

Favorite - Sata Cruz Dark Roast Crunchy.

Don't recall ever hearing that one! More lyrics here:

THE MARATHONS lyrics - Peanut Butter
THE MARATHONS
"Peanut Butter"
(Bill Barnum / Martin Cooper / Cliff Goldsmith / Fred Smith)

There's a food goin' around that's a sticky sticky goo
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Oh well it tastes real good, but it's so hard to chew
(Peanut, peanut butter)
All my friends tell me that they dig it the most
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Early in the morning when they spread it on toast
(Peanut, peanut butter)
I like peanut butter, creamy peanut butter
Chunky peanut butter too

Well, I went to a dinner and what did they eat
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Ah-well, I took a big bite and it stuck to my teeth
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Now everybody look like they got the mumps
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Just-a eatin' peanut butter in-a great big hunks
(Peanut, peanut butter) ....

-ERD50

PB ... best eaten with a spoon. PB on anything other than a plate is fattening.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom