Poll: That Airbag Recall. What Are You Doing?

That Airbag Recall, What Are You Doing?

• Airbag recall work is completed!

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving about the same

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Waiting on part(s) - in meantime, driving more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • waiting on part(s) - in meantimeHave other vehicle (other family car, rental or loaner)

• I don't drive

• My car not impacted

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • What? There is an airbag recall?

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My car is one of the cars on the airbag recall list. I got a letter back in March saying pretty much no parts yet, but should be available around summer when I'll get a second letter. With summer almost over, still no second letter.

Got me curious, what are folks here doing about that airbag recall. So, I created a poll. :)

Took our Honda Civic in this March and they replaced the airbag.

Our Honda Accord's airbag was replaced July 15. Dealer gave us a loaner car; the work took 4 hours. Easy-peasy.

We have relatively new hondas ('09 Civic and '12 Fit), so no problems with waiting.

Son just had his '02 Civic fixed after receiving word of the "don't drive anywhere other than to the dealer" warning.

Our Acura TL is at the dealer today for the airbag recall, and a software update

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

2006 Ford Ranger Truck--got recall notice in July-2015 for passenger side air bag from dealership I frequent--they would advise when parts available. January-2016 got notice parts were available, but also got notice driver airbag now being recalled, will advise when parts available. July-2016, went to dealership and complained, they reordered parts and will advise when available. No notice yet.

Of course, we all know that the big scam is they're hoping my 10-year old truck will rust away or be totaled in a wreck and they won't have to do anything. Am planning on going to another dealership soon but worried about muddying the waters with Vin# requesting parts from 2 places.

My brother got the recall for his Honda Ridgeline truck last spring. He'd moved since he bought the truck, so he went to a different dealership from where he'd purchased the truck. What did they do?---took his truck in and gave him a brand-new Chevy Silverado crew-cab to drive for free until his truck got fixed. Four months later and he's still driving the loaner around and loving it.

I put in a message to a local dealer asking if they have the parts yet. I've been driving less. I really don't drive much anyhow but don't want to tempt fate.

Have folks here gotten that second letter saying parts are in? Or is playing by what was in the first recall letter waiting on that second letter only for [-] suckers [/-] customers like me? :)

i got the first letter said parts were on order. i don't think this is a huge deal and it's certainly not changing my driving habits

2007 Dodge RAM PU.
Drivers side was done when I bought it used last year (recall found on CARFAX). Passenger side recall only just came out this summer - no parts.
Not carrying passengers for now.

Driver side completed under recall last year.

Passenger side recall letter came a couple of weeks ago. Dealer ordered parts when I called last week and said the parts should be there in two weeks. The recall letter said Honda would send another letter when parts are available but the dealer claimed they can get the parts now if ordered for a specific vehicle under recall - so guess I will know soon. But this has not changed my driving habits.

At least 6 months ago, I got a letter from Toyota telling me I'd have to get the airbag in my 2007 Corolla replaced. Then, back in May, I got another letter telling me to contact my local dealer to get the work done. I was in the area and stopped by the dealership and they took my name and # and said they'd call me in a few weeks when their current backlog of airbags got filled.

Fast forward to July and I still hadn't heard anything so I called them. They told my name and car info wasn't in their computer and I'd have to bring the car in just to get its info entered into their computer so it could be matched up with an airbag when it arrived. I was a little miffed because nobody did this for me when I was there in May, they only took my name and phone #.

So I went to the dealership and it took about 45 minutes just waiting around to get my car's info into their computer. They even took the car into their work area even though they had no parts available. I got the car back and was told it would take a few weeks. That was a month ago. Who knows when they'll call me. Not the smoothest operation they have at that dealership.

Scrabbler1,

Sounds like a pain. Now I know why I've kind of put off contacting a dealer in my area :blush:.

Scrabbler1,

Sounds like a pain. Now I know why I've kind of put off contacting a dealer in my area :blush:.

It surprises me, too. I had another minor recall back in 2012. I did the same thing then as I did with the airbag but there was no backlog. I made an appointment for service and they fixed the problem in a timely fashion.

As I recall, we received the initial notification by mail, with instructions to call the nearest dealer......we did so, and once the part was available they phoned us to set up an appointment to bring the vehicle in. Easy Peasy.

Honda CRV 2010..first the driver side bag was recalled. The local Honda dealership got us a lease SUV that we used for about 2 months until the parts came in to fix the driver side airbag. Once that was fixed, we drove a couple of months and found out the passenger side airbag needs to be replaced. Still waiting (10 weeks or so) on the passenger side airbag parts.

All three cars are too old to be in the recall. I will want to keep track of this issue when I think about replacing one of our cars as lots of folks ignore recalls - even one as serious as this one. I'd hate to end up with a recalled vehicle which had not been fixed yet.

Some of my older cars don't have airbags but I'm not aware of any airbag recalls on my newer daily drivers.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear the term, "airbag," I think about that hilarious line from Al Bundy (Ed O'Neill's character) in a Married With Children episode:

Al: "Back when men were men & women were ribs...When a driver's side airbag was called a mother-in-law." :LOL:

Subaru outback.............Supposedly recall only for passenger side so waiting for parts forever. At least I can drive it if nobody sits in passenger seat. Still trying to understand if really true and why driver side would be different.

Airbags likely to require recall are still being sold

I was able to have the driver's side replaced on my Mazda6 before I sold it but parts are still unavailable for the passenger side.

Apparently, Takata airbags that use ammonium nitrate as the explosive and will need to be recalled at some point are still being installed on new cars currently for sale -

In the U.S., a senate report revealed that four automakers, Toyota, FCA, Mitsubishi, and Volkswagen, continue to sell new vehicles with defective airbags that will eventually need to be recalled.

Last edited:
Got recall letter RE: Toyota Corolla front seat passenger side airbag. Fortunately it does not seem to affect the driver side airbag. I usually drive that car with no passenger, so it seems ok to wait it out.

Getting replacement for our Acura suv on Monday. Went on a waiting list for the parts back in June.

Back
Top Bottom