Poll:Would you Try Pot if it were legal in your state?

Would you try pot if it were legal in your state?

• I have and I would.

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • I have and I would not.

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Never have, and I would.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Never have, and I would not.

Votes: 44 24.0%

• Total voters
I have mixed opinions about legalization... I think it will save a lot of lives, especially south of the border....and it could help state budgets... but as far as for recreational use, do we really need one more escape from reality?

I haven't done it since my college years, but I will pass along this valuable tip as I still remember this vividly. If you chose to participate in this endeavor and use a bong, DO NOT SPILL old bong water in your carpet! :)

I have mixed opinions about legalization... I think it will save a lot of lives, especially south of the border....and it could help state budgets... but as far as for recreational use, do we really need one more escape from reality?
Does anyone think that anyone who wants to use marijuana isn't already using it?

If the idiots in the government make it very expensive, the criminal activity to supply it illegally (black market) or to rob the money to pay for it from whatever source will continue unabated.

Most hard core drug users don't really want all that goes with mj, they just want oblivion and a deadening of their thoughts and feelings. mj can kick feelings up, a risky proposition if you are struggling to get by.

So did I read the poll results correctly?? That almost half have chosen option 1--"have and will"? Maybe we're not the ones commenting? Seems like most of the comments are negative.

I am a middle boomer--lots of my cohorts smoking in college and graduate school. We didn't like drinking beer and the awful wine that was available then in the midwest (Mateus, Boone's Farm, remember??). Personally, I liked the mellowness marijuana brought to most folks as opposed to what drinking did to the ambiance.

I did know a couple of folks in grad school that probably smoked to extreme --it definitely mellowed them out too much, to the degree that they took forever to finish their dissertations, etc.

I'm way more worried about binge drinking on campuses these days and the problems it has caused.

I smoked it in my late teens and early twenties but have no interest in it now, legal or illegal. Never tried cigarettes. Couldn't stand the smell. Marijuana smoke never bothered me like cigarette smoke does.
+1

If I was bored once a month and it didn't make me hungry I may have considered it if available. But I work too hard now to keep my weight off and it is harder every year. I could plow through a whole package of Oreo cookies back in the day when I occasionally used it. Those calories would stick like glue to me now.

So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?

So when I get my season ski pass next winter, will I have to worry about out-of-control stoners or will they just all fall over somewhere along the trail?

Some wont get up the slope, a bunch fall down, occasionally some realizes they have a gift to ski before something else happens.

On the serious side, I'd read the resorts were concerned. They have an interest in skiers safety. I believe they have trained folks to spot potential risks.

MRG

Used it a few times in my late teens, early 20's, but not nearly as much as some of my "friends". It's been a long time, and I don't really have any inclination at this point. I spent a lot of years working for the DoD and I was tested randomly & regularly, knowing I'd lose my security clearance and my career, so I played it smart and didn't use during that period (currently still working). Not expecting to start up again.

Some wont get up the slope, a bunch fall down, occasionally some realizes they have a gift to ski before something else happens.

On the serious side, I'd read the resorts were concerned. They have an interest in skiers safety. I believe they have trained folks to spot potential risks.

MRG

Do any of these people (or others) also stop in for a couple of beers at lunch?

These things are a concern I guess. But there are a number of other issues that can cause problems. One of the reasons I think I am done riding my bike is worrying about people running me over....for a variety of reasons. Not paying attention, drunk, high, on their phones, playing with the radio, smoking cigs, bad attitude......

I was a teenager in the 70's.
smokin.r191677.gif

Do it again? Probably not....

The polls results sure don't reflect the comments of the majority of posters. Speak up you silently stoned majority.

I tried it once or twice in college. Could not really see what all the fuss was about. Pleasant enough, but putting people in jail for that? I never understood that. Not my idea of fun, but have at it and please stop wasting my tax dollars chasing those folks around. I was more than happy to vote for legalization in my state even though I have minimal interest in the stuff.

One of the big problems for anyone wishing to indulge in CO or WA is that it is still illegal on the federal level and recent case law indicates that employers (and presumably anyone else) can discriminate on the basis of whether you have legally consumed the stuff.

If all MJ does is to make people stupid, I would not mind it at all, as long as I do not have to subsidize their mistakes. For example if MJ causes them to "buy high/sell low", I will profit. :LOL:

Sadly, I think liquor tends to have more of that effect.

Report: Lake Ice Grows Safer To Venture Out On With Each Beer Consumed | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I had an old boyfriend years ago that we hang out with once in awhile who has been a daily pot smoker for 30+ years. I often hold him out to my son as an example of "this is your brain on drugs". Guy has zero short term memory - or long for that matter.

Last edited:
Yes, I see that alcohol has often been compared with MJ. It is also often said that while MJ makes the user (abuser?) mellow, alcohol tends to make him violent. I have not taken MJ to know, but alcohol tends to make me sleepy and mellow.

I guess anything can be abused. Again, as long as no bystander gets harmed, I would not care. It is too hard if not impossible to protect an individual against himself. Americans are famous abusers of food, and very little can be done about that.

I think that putting people in jail and ruining their lives for something less dangerous than drinking alcohol, driving a car, flying in a plane, walking on the sidewalk, taking a bath, etc. is ridiculous. Legalizing it is the only morally justifiable action. Having said that, I don't care if people try it or not. To each his own. Different strokes.

Haha is right, anybody that wants it now can get it, with ease. The only danger is in the prohibition. Alcohol should be legal, pot should be legal, raw milk should be legal, pate should be legal, Super Big Gulps should be legal. Land of the free, eh?

... Alcohol should be legal, pot should be legal, raw milk should be legal, pate should be legal, Super Big Gulps should be legal. Land of the free, eh?
Eh, pâté has always been legal, same with liverwurst. I think horse meat is not legal. Or is it? I think some cities banned foie gras? Or not? Arghh, I lost track.

Opium should be allowed next. Bring back the opium dens! :)

il_570xN.211746004.jpg

Last edited:
Why bother with opium when Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin are available? Big Pharma knows how to create an addictive drug for the 21st century.

Smoked it some in my late teens/early 20's. Wouldn't smoke it now, but would try an edible. It was an amusement park ride. Not something to do all the time, but definitely had some laughs.

I was a daily smoker throughout my 20's and most of my 30's. I took a 20 year sabbatical and got very serious about my career. Then ER'd (52)and a old friend of mine sent me some as a retirement gift and have for the last decade. I think most people that have actually partaken know it is no big deal.

I don't consider it a big deal, nothing really, just an easy way to celebrate the day in the evening. I think it also makes me more sociable and love listening to music stoned. I am private about my personal habits (does this count?) and have never had any issues concerning pot. I guess I would consider it my one vice, if that is what it is?

I dream of the day that weed takes the place of alcohol in our society - the world will be a nicer place for everyone. It could happen.

Peace

Why bother with opium when Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin are available?

Sure. Let's make Oxycontin over-the-counter too. :)

By the way, I found that oxycodone is heavily abused in Canada. Many countries such as Singapore and the UK treat it as among the most dangerous substances, I guess at the same level as heroin.

I never knew about these things, and only looked into it when I was given that for my serious abdomen surgeries. I was afraid of getting hooked, but other than finding it relieving pain, never had any high or rush from it. And I was able to stop without problems when the surgery wound healed, with many pills left. So, I do not see how people get addicted to it. How do people get addicted to aspirin or Tylenol?

I guess people have different physiology and different reactions to a substance. Hence, some are more genetically inclined to be addicted to certain drugs.

Big Pharma knows how to create an addictive drug for the 21st century.

So, do you propose stopping the manufacture of these pain killers, and let surgery patients tough it out? :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom