Pond Upgrade

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
edit

It is time to put the pond back into working order. I need advice from someone familiar with drainage in a similar situation. This is a concrete pond, about 13' x 6' x 20" deep. The seam between the concrete bottom and walls is prone to leaking. There was a painted-on covering of some rubberized material, but the pond leaked, and we gave up on the maintenance about 7-8 years ago. It was a nice feature to the home, as well as a feeding hole for the local varmints.

We considered a flexible liner, but the cost was high, and installing would be a bear. Also, the amount of water (600 gallons) required to fill/keep filled is quite high.

Enter the idea of 1 or 2 pre-formed liners. We discussed the cost of all the accessories, and thought something nice could be done for $1500 (liners, pumps, lights, etc.). I was expecting about $300 for one pre-form.

Yesterday I drove down the street, turned the corner, and found the liner you see in the picture. It was at the curb, and ready for trash pickup. Turning this over and draining the sand and mud, and then placing on top of my car must have given chuckle to anyone watching. I am not proud, and we trash-picked a lot in the good old days.

So here I am, at the beginning of an important project. I need to fill a few inches on the bottom of the pond, and I think sand would be the first step. Then I would level the pond and fill around it with pea gravel.

Am I on the right path, or starting off in the wrong way? One additional thought is to install a sump and pump below the concrete base.

I appreciate all input, especially if you have a pond.

Back
Top Bottom