Popcorn?

As a side note I've noticed that the price of popcorn kernels has gone up a lot in the past several years. Anyone know why?

I'd guess the same reason that other corn prices have gone up - the ethanol mandate. An awful lot of corn goes to producing ethanol, which was supposed to be 'green', but that seems to not be the case after further study.

-ERD50

I saw this on QVC -
Chef'n Steam Release Microwave Popcorn Popper

http://www.qvc.com/Chefn-Steam-Release-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-with-Seasonings.product.K43181.html?sc=K43181-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-K43181&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/k/81/k43181.001?$uslarge$

It's a silicone folding thingy that unfolds as the popcorn pops.

I don't have one, I just thought it was clever. No oil needed.

Anyone here have one of these?

Last edited:
There are health concerns with prepackaged microwave popcorn. Apparently there's a substance used inside the bag that when heated breaks down into a chemical that is linked to certain types of cancer.

We use paper lunch bags . 1/4 cup popcorn and small amount of melted butter and sea salt . Tape bag shut and put it in the microwave until it stops popping ( Our micro is being finicky so I can not give you a definite time ) . It is just the right amount for us.

Zinger is absolutely correct about microwave popcorn being harmful. The best popcorn as said earlier is on the stove in a pot with Canola oil and flavored if desired. OP wanted to know more about gourmet etc..... Try this: Sorghum seed popcorn. Pops very small, on low heat and is hugely nutritious and has a very good and unique flavor. You can usually find it in quality supermarkets or health food stores. I still love popcorn, but sorghum gives you that extra flavor and nutritional punch.

I buy the Kirkland Signature microwave popcorn in the 44 package container. It is near in taste to the movie theater butter brands of Pop Secret and Orville. Do not know if the bags are PFOA free. Here is a list that I could find.

• Quinn Popcorn*
• Jolly Time Popcorn*
• Snappy Popcorn Co.*
• Newman's Own Organics

Here is a link to what Zinger and others are talking about.

I buy the Kirkland Signature microwave popcorn in the 44 package container. It is near in taste to the movie theater butter brands of Pop Secret and Orville. Do not know if the bags are PFOA free. Here is a list that I could find.

• Quinn Popcorn*
• Jolly Time Popcorn*
• Snappy Popcorn Co.*
• Newman's Own Organics

Here is a link to what Zinger and others are talking about.

From the link cited:

"Under a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency program, the use of PFOAs is to be phased out of almost all products by the end of 2015."

Probably not many, if any, still using PFOA's.

Microwave 94% with some zero calorie 'butter' on it. Just bought a box of microwave popcorn from the boy scouts. The bag is soaked through with 'butter' when you unwrap it. Man is it good! It ain't low fat.

College roommate in the 80s had a aluminum popcorn popper. Top half was basically a pot, bottom half held the top and had a exposed nichrome heater element. It made the BEST corn.

I like Skinny Pop, much healthier than most others.

We use paper lunch bags . 1/4 cup popcorn and small amount of melted butter and sea salt . Tape bag shut and put it in the microwave until it stops popping ( Our micro is being finicky so I can not give you a definite time ) . It is just the right amount for us.

Almost identical here. 1/4 cup kroger/walmart popcorn, a splash of oil, more kosher salt than I should, and three staples to close the paper lunch bag. In our microwave, 2 minutes is the correct time.

FWIW, I was concerned about staples in the microwave, but at least with that little bit of metal, there is no perceivable issue.

Almost identical here. 1/4 cup kroger/walmart popcorn, a splash of oil, more kosher salt than I should, and three staples to close the paper lunch bag. In our microwave, 2 minutes is the correct time.

FWIW, I was concerned about staples in the microwave, but at least with that little bit of metal, there is no perceivable issue.

Ditto, although I find using 1/3 cup works too. I pop the kernels dry but drizzle a mixture of melted butter & coconut oil after its popped. Sometimes will add hot sauce to the melted butter to spice things up. I have also found that the elongated brown bags used to package wine bottles work well. A few folds at the open end usually will keep the popping contained. No tape, no staples.

I recently got a stovetop popcorn popper. I make my corn with coconut oil and Flavacol for the real movie theatre experience. It's really good, and not too much effort. It takes about 5 minutes, and the worst part is having to clean the pan afterwards.

Listen to this guy! Exactly my set-up. I get a gallon of coconut oil on Amazon for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2A88ZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For popcorn, I use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00382UXU4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

With this oil, corn and Flavacol in the popper mentioned, you can't NOT like the final product.

We use an electric popcorn popper, like the old hamilton beach one. Canola oil, no butter. Tastes great with the flavored salt, cheddar, shaken on it. etc.

I knew I'd find some popcorn lovers in the ER community! After all it is a frugal and filling snack. Heck, I even have it for dinner sometime.
Janet H.--I have the same odd microwave popper! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005IBXK/ref=psdc_1090764_t1_B00FN3LPYY
Haven't used it in years and didn't even know it still exists. Do you buy the little filter covers for the bottom? I'm out of those and will need to purchase more to use the thing. I recall that it did make good popcorn, and I'm excited to try it now with olive or coconut oil.

Coconut oil?

I thought tropical oils are EXTREMELY heart and artery unhealthy.

_B

I prefer my popcorn to be GMO, slathered with Roundup, then popped in hydrogenated oil... 😬

I'm still working my way through a giant box of microwave popcorn, bought from the Boy Scouts panhandling in front of Lowe's.

Janet H.--I have the same odd microwave popper! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005IBXK/ref=psdc_1090764_t1_B00FN3LPYY
Haven't used it in years and didn't even know it still exists. Do you buy the little filter covers for the bottom? I'm out of those and will need to purchase more to use the thing.

Cheapest source for those "little paper filter covers" aka concentrators:
https://www.gopresto.com/products/p...inue_url=/products/products.php?stock=0483001

Popcorn recipes from the Presto site:
Presto®: Popcorn Recipe Index

omni

+1 please post details on how to do it in the microwave in a bag as I'd like to try that. We love popcorn.. DW is dismayed that I always have it at the movies.
Paper Bag Popcorn Method:
Step One: Measure 1/4 cup popcorn kernels into a lunchbox-sized paper bag.
Step Two: Loosely fold just the very top of the bag over so the kernels don't spill out.
Step Three: Microwave until there are more than 3 seconds between popping sounds. ...
Step Four: Carefully remove bag and enjoy!

We don't use tape or staples... just a couple folds at the top.

We also have a contraption similar to what Janet posted... but much older. DH brought it to the marriage. I prefer when DS uses the paper bag method because no washing up after.

As far as coconut oil and the health risks... I guess it depends on your cholesterol levels. Like butter it's a saturated fat... so it should be used in moderation. But it also has something in it that boosts the good HDL.
Ask the doctor: Coconut oil - Harvard Health

I'm still working my way through a giant box of microwave popcorn, bought from the Boy Scouts panhandling in front of Lowe's.

Just talking about microwave popcorn, the Boy Scout stuff is the best we've ever had. I'm a sucker for them every year.

I use Orville Redenbacher's Original, air popped, with spray butter and popcorn salt (fine grained).

I got a set of Fireworks Popcorn samplers as a gift last year. Cool looking "heirloom popcorn" but mostly pops up pure white and pretty small. Taste is good, but I'm not that much of a connoisseur to really notice much difference.

Back
Top Bottom