Putting "See ID" on Credit Card

Corporate ORphan

Recycles dryer sheets
We were at the paint store yesterday and the manager suggested we put "see ID" on our credit card instead of a signature. I have always thought that putting your signature on a credit card is telling the crook how to sign your name so I was wondering if anyone has every tried using "see id" instead?

THanks!

We do not sign or put see id on our cards. I guess, however, it is better than leaving it blank. Of course it would only stop the casual thief. A bogus ID and they are in business.

My understanding is that your signature on the card is your consent to the cardholder agreement. It is not an authentication mechanism. Many merchants never even see the card anyway.

Here is an article from creditcards.com on the subject Should you sign your credit card or write 'See ID' on it

from the link above:

Credit and debit cardholders who believe that writing "See ID" or "Check ID" on the signature panel of their cards will help prevent fraud should think again. According to Visa and MasterCard, when a merchant sees "See ID" on the back of a card instead of a signature, that card should not be processed. But as merchants continue to implement technology where the customer does her own card swiping, well, who is really checking?

We were at the paint store yesterday and the manager suggested we put "see ID" on our credit card instead of a signature. I have always thought that putting your signature on a credit card is telling the crook how to sign your name so I was wondering if anyone has every tried using "see id" instead?

THanks!

I do. Some merchants ask for my ID when they see the sign and some don't. Some merchants don't even look at your card after you swipe it when the amount is below the merchant's threshold.

The USPS positively will not accept a credit card that doesn't have a signature.

I've been using the "Please see ID" without a signature and never had a problem at the scores of places I've used the card--except the post office. Next time I might go with the signature AND the "please check ID" appellation as suggested in the article.

I thank clerks who bother to verify the ID, and I always present the credit card with my driver's license so it doesn't appreciably slow the transaction. Someday soon we'll have reliable biometric authentication and this will all seem very quaint. I can't WAIT for passwords and PINs to become extinct.

Why not do both?
Since you're technically required to sign the card, and a merchant is technically required (by some issuers) to confiscate the card if you attempt to use it unsigned, my DW has done the following for many years:

She signs it, leaving enough room in the sig space to write "Ask for ID"

Makes her feel better and might actually help if the card is stolen.

I've been to places in Europe where they will not accept an unsigned card. They also won't accept a card with only "See ID" on it.

I've been to places in Europe where they will not accept an unsigned card. They also won't accept a card with only "See ID" on it.

Yes... England was the first place that actually asked for ID (this was 12 years ago)....

But they also were the first to hand me a pen, I sign it in front of them and they process the purchase with NO ID.... well, the card was signed :ROFLMAO:

Yes... England was the first place that actually asked for ID (this was 12 years ago)....

But they also were the first to hand me a pen, I sign it in front of them and they process the purchase with NO ID.... well, the card was signed :ROFLMAO:

England never had picture ID's available until the relatively new style of driver's licenses came out so we never used to have to show id.

These days it is all CHIP and PIN so no signature and no ID.

Many on-line sites here now also require "Verified by Visa" cards where you register your regular credit and debit card(s) and set a password for each one, then when you make a purchase on-line using a credit or debit card you also have to enter your card password.

Verified by Visa helps protect your card against unauthorised use when you shop online with participating stores.
When you make a purchase in a store you have to enter a PIN number. Verified by Visa works in the same way but for purchases made over the internet. You will simply be asked to enter your own personal password during the checkout process.

DH first started doing this over 10 years ago when we lived in The States. Most businesses were okay with it but a few times he was actually told that there HAD to be a signature on the back of the credit card or the merchant would not accept it.

Once we moved back to Canada, he started signing the back of his credit cards. Plus, with the new chip technology now, it's very difficult to become a victim of credit card fraud. Although I guess if there's a will, there's a way....:whistle:

Sounds like it might or might not help or matter.... Anyone ever put a "security freeze"on their credit report (prohibits the credit reporting agency from releasing info without your express consent)?

In MO they have made it a hassle to do but we have been thinking it might be a good idea. Especially, if we start traveling like we would like to do.

Back
Top Bottom