Reality TV

queeneev

Recycles dryer sheets
First, I apologize if it seems odd that i am suddenly more of an active poster than in the past (I dont even have 20 posts yet). However. (!) I read almost e-v-er-y day (loggiing in for 2 years now), with delight, frustration, plotting and planning, trying to get my own FIRE going....(I seem to be missing that dang flint...)

Anyways, this thread is to discuss your favorite or most loathed reality TV shows, in the safety of this thread without fear of SHAME :whistle: or ridicule, to salve the wounds instilled upon you by your DW or DH via their scowls and reprimands, for calling you a bottom feeder, a Jerry Springer TV whore, and a morally delinquent hazard. (Did I just reveal too much about my own DH, woopsie! :greetings10:)

I shall start:

My favorite show is now the Amazing Race, surpassed recently by Survivor (which I believe has lost the "adventurous" part of their storytelling, and now is predominantly about the vote, and comes across as 45 minutes of cat-fighting.)

And I heretofore confess that i also watch some of the more banal shows, for which i really have no explanation other than "sometimes I need to watch mindless drivel after a day of hard work, much like I need a Hostess Snowball every once in awhile to appease my food soul):

Biggest Loser (from time to time, not a regular)
American Idol (from time to time, not a regular)
Design on a Dime (I had to stop watching the high-end HGTV shows because they made me feel inadequate!)
Intervention
Antiques Roadshow (not really RTV, but still, not scripted)
Fear Factor (back in the day)
Bob Ross (not RTV but needs to go on my list...they guy was a master at "compelling to watch paint dry", literally)

Because this forum leans more toward "reasoned" people, I will speculate that I am not gonna get a lot of action here. That's okay, I am used to rejection, ridicule, and shame :D Just trying to make myself more familiar here, and talk about non-FIRE stuff because right now the FIRE thing ain't workin' for me...

Good to hear from you queeneev. Unfortunately, I am unable to contribute much to this discussion since I almost never watch TV. I do know of the existence of a few "reality" shows, and it seems that they all feature some sort of competition and exclusion/expulsion of the "losers". I wonder what the popularity of that format says about our society. Do we have some atavistic need to drive the weak ones from the herd? I really don't know.

I watch all HGTV and DIY shows, Biggest Loser, and American Idol. Also (but not reality tv) anything on Travel, Discovery, Science channels and lots of sports. I watch too much tv.

Most of what I watch is the local news (95% or so).

I used to watch The Amazing Race a few seasons ago, but other than that, no -- no reality TV here. I've never even *seen* American Idol. Not even once.

I watch the HGTV stuff, including Design on a Dime. I often overload and then have to quit for a few weeks.

I like HGTV, it satisfies my snoopy nature about how others live. :)

I watch the HGTV stuff, including Design on a Dime. I often overload and then have to quit for a few weeks.
Sometimes I'll watch those shows and their big "dream homes" and lust after them.

Then I think about the house payments, the high cost of heating/cooling that much space and the high property taxes -- and the number of extra years I'd have to work to pay for it all -- and then I fall in love with my modest (and paid for) little house all over again...

I don't like watching the big fancy house shows, I like things like Design on a Dime (cheapy makeover of cheapy house or cookie cutter apartment) or better yet, Mission Organization with people organizing their sloppy houses.

HGTV ,especially Design to Sell and Property Virgins . My all time favorite reality show is "So you think you can dance " .

Yes, I like Property Virgins too. Expectations are so high! "I must have three bedrooms, two baths, and an attached garage." Heck, I have never had three bedrooms, two baths, and an attached garage. :)

I enjoyed Fear Factor, but sometimes I had to watch through splayed fingers. :sick: It amazed me what people would do for $50k.

Are Soap Operas reality TV? I know you ladies are [-]addicted[/-] watching a lot of that stuff. DW has been watching the 1PM to 4PM ones for 30 years or more. Personally, I don't watch much TV; news and Football (now thats the ultimate reality TV?) especially College Football. Where else can you watch young men (I know that is sexist) excel on the field then go on to the NFL or Prison (or both).

Are Soap Operas reality TV?

Lordy i hope not! I did religiously watch General Hospital during college, but none since.

Hmmm, news and football....those qualify! With the exception of the weather forecasts of course :LOL:

Lordy i hope not! I did religiously watch General Hospital during college, but none since.

Hmmm, news and football....those qualify! With the exception of the weather forecasts of course :LOL:

Ahh, you have missed so much, I just asked DW and she said so.

I got hooked on Idol several seasons ago, but that is pretty much it for me and reality TV.

I love Amazing Race. For me it's not only about the way the teams interact with each other, but I also enjoy taking in the scenery from the locations they visit.

I used to like Survivor, however I don't like they way it is now played. I much preferred it when they gave them very little to eat and they had to be much more devious.

Another HGTV addict here. I tape all those shows and watch them whilst I do my hour on my treadmill every day. Makes the time fly. My latest favourite is the Unsellables, though I do like My House is Worth What? However on HGTV my biggest fav is without doubt House Hunters International.

Closest I ever came to watching reality TV, was watching "All in the Family". Watching Archie was like watching my Dad. :D

Do we have some atavistic need to drive the weak ones from the herd? I really don't know.
Do we submariners even need to ask that question?!?

I enjoyed Fear Factor, but sometimes I had to watch through splayed fingers. :sick: It amazed me what people would do for $50k.
We called that a "nuclear retention bonus contract"...

Spouse watches just about everything on HGTV, although TiVo is helping her thin out the repeats. She also enjoys the "happy" shows like Dancing With The Stars", "Last Comic Standing", "Idol", "So You Think You Can Dance", and even "Biggest Loser". But the latest season of BL managed to leave her not caring about any of them, which is usually a sign that a show has passed its peak.

Do we submariners even need to ask that question?!?

I thought it was just us. Who knew the whole country shared that desire?

NFL--the ultimate reality show! :)

Some people blame HGTV for raising young people's expectations of houses for sale (What? Your house doesn't have a granite and stainless steel kitchen? God help you.).

I love the Biggest Loser. I have a tin ear and two left feet so the talent shows are way over my head, but I can identify with losing weight.

No offense but IMO survivor is to me one of the most offensive shows. I can't stand watching people back-stab like that...I think it's pure trash and if you keep kids from watching anything on tv that would be my #1 choice!

I really liked dancing with the stars.

I watched too much news over the last year or so and I noticed it makes me upset.

I can go months without watching any tv......and for me that is ideal.

I think after watching the "news" night after night you start to get brainwashed and upset......which is exactly how you are supposed to get!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom