Recommend an electric hedge trimmer?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can anyone recommend a fairly lightweight, yet powerful, corded electric hedge trimmer?

Interested in both pole trimmers (for tall hedges) and regular trimmers.

Thanks!

Amethyst

I have a Black and Decker 13 inch corded electric hedge trimmer and a Black and Decker 20 inch corded electric hedge trimmer. The latter is only 3 or so years old so I suspect it is still available. Both were heavily researched and have performed exceptionally well for my suburban yard.

Currently I am looking to replace both with battery cordless electric hedge trimmers. You might explore those too. Battery tech has come a long way.

Agree - you really want to check cordless. No more fussing with extension cords. Yes, they are still a little more expensive than corded, but they have come down in price and gone up in quality a lot over the past 5 years.
I have a DeWalt 20v cordless hedge trimmer and it works great. The battery does add some weight compared to corded but not much - batteries have become much lighter

I have the same De Walt hedge trimmer and the grass trimmer. They work great and I no longer have to be an expert at splicing, soldering and re-taping my extension cords. (I have to admit no matter how hard I tried, I'd cut the extension cord with my old hedge trimmer)

It probably won’t suit your purposes, but I have a cordless EGo multi-tool power head with the 20” hedge trimmer attachment - it’s the best hedge trimmer I’ve ever owned. I also have a need for a pole trimmer, and it’s excellent for that. I have a B&D corded hedge trimmer and it works, but it’s nowhere near as powerful. I also have the 8” edger and 15” string trimmer attachments and a 56V 5.0 Ah lithium battery - so I use it for all my lawn/landscaping tasks. I also have an EGo 480 cfm blower. I have been thrilled with EGo!

Whatever you decide, you get what you pay for...

Last edited:
I have the same De Walt hedge trimmer and the grass trimmer. They work great and I no longer have to be an expert at splicing, soldering and re-taping my extension cords. (I have to admit no matter how hard I tried, I'd cut the extension cord with my old hedge trimmer)

This has to be part of the value proposition for cordless!

I have a DeWalt 20v cordless hedge trimmer and it works great. The battery does add some weight compared to corded but not much - batteries have become much lighter

Us too, DW does all the hedge clipping and has no issues. We would recommend it and it is relatively inexpensive. We have 4 batteries, 2 4000mah and 2 2000. DW uses the 2000mah and has never needed to change during a clipping session.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...e927afc452fc110c604cf041ec85273f&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited:
I'm suspicious of cordless in terms of sheer power. Even a corded one is a come-down from gas-powered, which I do not want to mess with (hate those 2-cycle engines).

I want to do a lot of trimming of heavy shrubbery, and I want to go through it like Luke Skywalker's light saber.

I'm suspicious of cordless in terms of sheer power. Even a corded one is a come-down from gas-powered, which I do not want to mess with (hate those 2-cycle engines).

I want to do a lot of trimming of heavy shrubbery, and I want to go through it like Luke Skywalker's light saber.

I understand your hesitancy but cordless tools really HAVE come a LONG way in just the last few years. After decades of gas powered tools, I now have a 40V DeWalt chainsaw and I continue to be amazed how well it performs even compared to gas powered. Even my cordless lawnmower is surprisingly competent.

Even my cordless lawnmower is surprisingly competent.

Do you recommend? That is one tool I'd love to have if it worked for my lawn.

Also, battery snow thrower. I see those are out there now.

I've switched over to lithium battery powered tools across the board. The retail market offerings are also leaning away from corded tools.

And for the most part, I wear out long before the battery runs down from a full charge.

I have an inexpensive Black and Decker hedge trimmer, and it works great.

I have a 40 volt Ryobi straight mast grass string trimmer, a lawn edger head and a brush cutter head. If it holds up to chomping heavy English Ivy and vines on trees, it'll likely do more work than I care to do in my ER.

About 5 yrs ago I bought a battery operated one for my 150' privet hedge.

What a joy to use compared to the corded one. Especially as I have to go up a step ladder to trim the top.

Mine is the cheap nicad type 20v type, so it takes 2 batteries worth to get the entire hedge done, sides and top.

My corded one is just gathering dust in the garage.

If you're worried about power and want your trimmer to cut really well - go battery. I have a Toro 60 volt battery trimmer and it has no lack of power. I would compare it to a gas trimmer and rate it better than a corded trimmer.

I use Ryobi. Cordless. Works great and the battery fits other tools. I bet you wouldn't be disappointed.

I use Ryobi. Cordless. Works great and the battery fits other tools. I bet you wouldn't be disappointed.
I just bought one of these as I have a bunch of Ryobi 18 volt tools and batteries and this thing is awesome. Not having to constantly worry about cutting the cord is life changing and greatly speeds up the work. I was surprised at how well it cuts heavier twigs.

Thanks - I just looked this up, and the reviews are indeed very good. Only thing is the weight, 9.1 pounds. Versus about 5 pounds for the average corded trimmer. Given the sheer amount of shrubbery (and how tall it is, so I will be reaching up) I think I'd better stick to something lighter-weight.

If you're worried about power and want your trimmer to cut really well - go battery. I have a Toro 60 volt battery trimmer and it has no lack of power. I would compare it to a gas trimmer and rate it better than a corded trimmer.

That's another thing - I buy RIDGID tools for the lifetime warranty, so I have a couple of RIDGID batteries, that I assume are not compatible with other tool lines. Too bad there's no RIDGID hedge trimmer.

I just bought one of these as I have a bunch of Ryobi 18 volt tools and batteries and this thing is awesome. Not having to constantly worry about cutting the cord is life changing and greatly speeds up the work. I was surprised at how well it cuts heavier twigs.

That's another thing - I buy RIDGID tools for the lifetime warranty, so I have a couple of RIDGID batteries, that I assume are not compatible with other tool lines. Too bad there's no RIDGID hedge trimmer.

I do the same with DeWalt 20v Max tools. I have 8 different ones. Their reciprocating saw is great. I use it for tree and shrub trimming when the branches are too thick for hedge trimmer.

To the OP, we'll never know for certain if our battery-based tools will work for you in your specific jungle of vegetation, but....

I'm now a full convert to the Ryobi line of battery-powered yard equipment and could not be happier.

I use the 18V models for my hedge clippers (work great on every single shrub that I trim in my yard), leaf blower and stringed trimmer. This past weekend, I just bought an 18V 10" chain saw to cut down a few of the shrubs that I no longer wanted. It cut through 2-3" branches and trunks just great. I am real happy with how it worked.

I also use a 40V push mower for my yard mowing area where my old-fashioned gas-powered riding mower won't do. I was quite impressed with how well a battery push mower could work. My neighbor across the street does their entire yard with theirs.

Ryobi products are good.

I purchased the Earthwise CVPH41018 18-Inch 2.8-Amp Corded Electric 2-in-1 Pole/Handheld Hedge Trimmer 3 years ago from Amazon and it has worked very well for me. It is on the heavier side at 10 pounds with the pole, but I am able to use it fine. I have both short and tall thick hedges/bushes, and this has worked well for me.

I'm suspicious of cordless in terms of sheer power.

I don't blame you, I swore off the cordless outdoor power equipment (OPE) for about 30 years after some early bad experiences. However, I have to echo the others in saying that the cordless tools (with lithium-ion batteries) are if not the equal of gas powered, make them work hard to earn first place. Do not buy ni-cad battery stuff - it just doesn't have the guts to do the job well.

I'm in the process of moving to all battery powered OPE except for the lawn mower (energy density isn't quite "there" yet for me) but I'm very happy with the Milwaukee string trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer and other battery power tools from that company. Milwaukee stuff does tend to be a bit pricier than some others but the quality is excellent and I hate cheaply made stuff that doesn't last. If you're not in a hurry wait for them to go on sale around Christmas, Father's Day, etc.

One can actually buy adapters to use almost any brand battery with any brand tool - sold on eBay / Amazon etc. A little clunky, but may be a solution for some.

Good idea - I will wait for sales, since I want two types of trimmer, and really would like an edger as well, so I can fire the yard crew who are constantly edging back my sod in their relentless pursuit of a Perfect Line.

We're in Florida, so the seasons are different (e.g. lawn mowers sell well in wintertime here) but holidays are universal.

I agree about quality. My dad preached to never pinch pennies on tools, and he was right.

If you're not in a hurry wait for them to go on sale around Christmas, Father's Day, etc.

Back
Top Bottom