Remote Desktop Support for Mac OSX

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need a remote solution to support my FIL on his Mac all-in-one. Situations are coming up where he is getting browser hijacks and other intrusions. Can't be there 24x7 or I would be...

Is anyone using VNC, Logmein, etc. solution for this situation? I am on Windows 7 (maybe XP desktop), and he is using Mac OSX 10.7 (maybe .8).

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am using RealVNC, and have been for many years, to remotely access my home Mac OSX desktop from my phone, my tablet, or my laptop windows computer.

Last edited:
You have to forward ports on the router though for VNC.

Teamviewer has both Mac and Win versions.

You should be able to remote into a Mac even though you are running under win.

I've used TeamViewer which is okay, the keyboard doesn't exactly map, especially the Command key which is crucial for OS X.

I've also played around with Chrome Remote Desktop. OK, when I access my iMac from my Windows 8.1 laptop, it completely rearranges all my windows, resizes them. I'm not going to use that again, probably due to resolution differences.

However, using the Chrome Remote Desktop app on my iPad works fine, without the resizing and rearranging. It's not easy to use touch to control the mouse pointer though.

Logmein used to do a great job but it's no longer free, in fact fairly costly subscription.

Teamviewer is fine using mouse and keyboard but not so great on iPad for controlling the mouse on the target computer.

Understood. Thank you.

I'm using TightVNC on my internal LAN, between PCs with Windows and Linux.

I may try Teamviewer first.

Used to use Logmein free, but it ain't that no more.

I'm using Teamviewer, not with Mac, but Win to control my desktop when away from home with my laptop. I've got my desktop set so when that is turned on, I can connect remotely when traveling.

Screen Sharing is built into the Mac OS. I use this to access my Mac remotely.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14148?locale=en_US

It also works with VNC. I use it to connect to a Linux system without any issues, but in that case I use an SSH tunnel to make sure my connection is encrypted (password isn't sent as clear text, etc).

Screen Sharing is built into the Mac OS. I use this to access my Mac remotely.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH14148?locale=en_US

It also works with VNC. I use it to connect to a Linux system without any issues, but in that case I use an SSH tunnel to make sure my connection is encrypted (password isn't sent as clear text, etc).
Thanks. Looks simple enough.

When you open ports for VNC, do you use the standard port, or something else? Do you think using 5900 or other common port makes leaves you more vulnerable?

Thanks. Looks simple enough.

When you open ports for VNC, do you use the standard port, or something else? Do you think using 5900 or other common port makes leaves you more vulnerable?

I'd use a different port. It might not help that much, but at least there's some obfuscation. The key is to make sure whatever you open up is well protected, since port scanners will scan all ports.

Most of my connections are on the same network and I rarely access my systems at home from a remote network. Last time I did this, I configured a VPN on my router, which let me access everything as if I was on the same network.

I'd use a different port. It might not help that much, but at least there's some obfuscation. The key is to make sure whatever you open up is well protected, since port scanners will scan all ports.

Most of my connections are on the same network and I rarely access my systems at home from a remote network. Last time I did this, I configured a VPN on my router, which let me access everything as if I was on the same network.
I used logmein a bit when it was free, to access remote systems I was supporting. Only needed to do simple stuff.

I don't have VPN on my router, or I would go there.

Tomorrow I'll probably install Teamviewer on the remote computer and try that initially.

I think these are good points. Like you, most times I'd access only through my internal network. I usually know when I'll be gone for more than a few days and may want access through the Internet. For those times, I can enable port forwarding on the router - I think it requires a restart but that's pretty fast.

The rest of the time I can leave that particular doorway shut.

Back
Top Bottom