Resolving New Fridge Problem

Still loving my conventional freezer-on-top frig. After 22 months of use, the door has never once been found open unexpectedly, it hasn't needed a single repair, and it keeps all my food at exactly the right temperature. Just the right frig for me. :)

28 months of use by now, and all the above is still true.... no falling ice cubes, either. :)

Still loving my conventional freezer-on-top frig. After 22 months of use, the door has never once been found open unexpectedly, it hasn't needed a single repair, and it keeps all my food at exactly the right temperature. Just the right frig for me. :)

28 months of use by now, and all the above is still true.... no falling ice cubes, either. :)
Be sure to stop by the amputee ward at the hospital to show everyone your new shoes. :LOL:

Be sure to stop by the amputee ward at the hospital to show everyone your new shoes. :LOL:

Was I thoughtless and inconsiderate by posting that? If so, I'm sorry. :(

I was just trying to gently get across the idea that simple freezer-on-top refrigerators may need fewer repairs than more complex styles, and might be something to think about next time. The more modern styles really look terrific - - honestly, I think so! They are GORGEOUS and tempting, and also they are probably more convenient in some ways. Still, the plain old freezer-on-top style like everybody's granny had, seem to have their advantages too.

And those of us who prefer top-freezer models are finding that they are now relegated to the low end of the market, without features such as "water through the door" and improved compressors. I'm hoping our Whirlpool Gold top-freezer model never dies - not the least because ALL of the more modern freezers are too tall for our cabinets.

And those of us who prefer top-freezer models are finding that they are now relegated to the low end of the market, without features such as "water through the door" and improved compressors. I'm hoping our Whirlpool Gold top-freezer model never dies - not the least because ALL of the more modern freezers are too tall for our cabinets.

Mine was definitely low end of the market. Right now it is selling for $539.99 on the Sears website. I don't like water-through-the-door, so it's fine with me that it does not have that. I have no idea about compressors, but it keeps on working and that's all I ask. It's a little noisy, but by now I kind of like that. The noise tells me I'm home, where I want to be.

Last edited:
UPDATE: All Fixed

My fix works well:

cZqoAk8.jpg

gNzPGqG.jpg

The flapper thing is magnetic (or the door is) so it snaps to the door, making a good seal.

It always closes by itself now. I can't pull that drawer out, but we've never done that once in the year we've had the fridge.

I lowered the front. I can store things in the right door (when it had stuff it in, it made it more likely that the left door wouldn't close), and I adjusted the door-open alarm so it won't go off so soon.

Last edited:
My fix works well:

cZqoAk8.jpg

gNzPGqG.jpg

The flapper thing is magnetic (or the door is) so it snaps to the door, making a good seal.

It always closes by itself now. I can't pull that drawer out, but we've never done that once in the year we've had the fridge.

I lowered the front. I can store things in the right door (when it had stuff it in, it made it more likely that the left door wouldn't close), and I adjusted the door-open alarm so it won't go off so soon.

Nice that it works like you want, but my DW would kill me if I had a piece of wood showing like you have....

Nice that it works like you want, but my DW would kill me if I had a piece of wood showing like you have....

+1

And wood in a fridge is probably gonna get wet/soft/moldy pretty quickly.

I'd consider that a "proof of concept", and then work on the "ready for prime time" version. Home Depot has some nice white trim (PVC I think), that can be cut and shaped easily. And I'd use stainless steel screws/bolts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-8-ft-Reversible-Cellular-PVC-Trim-H190HWS4/202086540

-ERD50

Can you clean under that bottom drawer if something leaks down the back of the fridge (an accidentally knocked over bottle of orange juice, for example)? I have that kind of refrigerator and would hate to think of not being able to access the floor of it, but I don't have a problem with having to be sure the doors close. Maybe you can further modify it by just removing that wide drawer since you don't open it anyway--just let it be a shelf?

We've had a top freezer, a side by side, and now this one, all with the same footprint, and this last one for us is the best configuration yet.

Can you clean under that bottom drawer if something leaks down the back of the fridge... ... Maybe you can further modify it by just removing that wide drawer since you don't open it anyway--just let it be a shelf? ...

Another idea would be to somehow make that added piece able to pop in and out easily enough to remove for cleaning?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom