Retire Early Personality Test............

C

Cut-Throat

Someone posted in the last few days about the different personality types that there are. According to this test there are 16 different personality types.

It would be interesting to find out all the different types that are posting on this forum. You can find out about the type if you follow the links on the Retire Early Page.

I'll go first - I am an ESTJ - Execution Saves the Job! :)

OK, I've taken different versions of this several different times and I have gotten several different answers. The last one I took was the four question version from the link on the REHP board, it says I am an ISTP (I see the problem) at least for today. Probably need a better in depth test to get a better idea, but the description felt about right.

panhead--

Well, here goes something strange.  I'll be retiring in two weeks at 56 and I'm an ENFP!

I plan to play until I get bored.  My only concern is finding people to play with.  Any ideas?

Popyee

ENTJ

I think if you have I instead of E it may be easier to live cheaply, but I don't really know.

Mikey

I've taken the test many times - It was real popular with management where I used to work. I tested as 4 different types: INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ESTP. The I/E and N/S scores were never very high - usually very close to 0.

The web page above says ISTP, and that is probably the most acurate, but the other scores seem to reflect my need for balance in those areas - i.e. the E scores were when I was on a single person job.

Wayne

Mikey,

I think you may have a point there! - Never thought of it that way. That E stuff costs a lot of dough. Especially when you're trying to attract the opposite sex :D

Yup, took this one also and I'm solidly in the ESTJ

Camp.

My results:

Your Type is
ENTJ
Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
56 67 1 44

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:
moderately expressed extrovert

distinctively expressed intuitive personality

slightly expressed thinking personality

moderately expressed judging personality

My INTJ result was solid. Had to study my choices
when taking the test, but felt the INTJ description was
dead on.

John Galt

INTJ Plus a Finn grandmother on my mothers side - just finished reading YMOYL - Their idea of frugile is the hight of luxury from my memories growing up in the Pacific NW.

This test is called the Meyers-Briggs personality indicator.

My wife and I were in our mid to late 30s when we became engaged 20 years ago, and we both approached marriage with a lot more rationality than younger people typically do. As part of some premarital counselling provided by my wife's Unitarian minister, we each took the Meyers-Briggs test. I turned out to be INTP, and she was ENTP. It indicated a high degree of compatibility and turned out to be accurate. (We might be boring to some people who lack the "T", but we've managed to stay interested in each other.)

Prior to our wedding, and without telling my wife-to-be, I designed a commemorative T-shirt that displayed our paired Meyers-Briggs personality indicator diagrams, together with our names and the date of our wedding. In giving my speech at the reception after the wedding, I produced this T-shirt and explained its significance. Then I gave one to everyone who attended. It was a big hit. It has turned out to have a lot of practical value, too, because I still have mine, and refer to it every year to verify the exact correct date of our anniversary.

?? Are INTJ's 'more cheap' - ie frugile instead of just frugal than other personality or are they just likely to retire at an earlier age??

unclemick,

I have been researching some Vanguard Funds and you had told me that you owned the LifeStratety mod and Cons. Fund.

These funds have a 25% component of actively managed stocks rather than entirely passive index funds. I was looking at at the new VG Target Retirement Funds (2015 - VTXVX) which is composed of entirely passive index funds.

What do you think? This seems to be more in line what I'm looking for.

Cut - Throat

I wondered when someone would pick up on my balanced index choice as not 'totally pure' and I have periodically looked at other mixes to get purely passive index - 60/40 balanced index plus total bond index to get to 50/50 stocks/bonds. My rationalization was that the AA part at least used quant. methodology.

Got them in the 90's and been too lazy to change. The Vanguard funds you mentioned plus others will be revisited in jan.-now that I passed 59 1/2.

In the meantime - Happy Holidays.

Cut - Throat

From what little I've read so far the Vanguard target retirement series is a further refinement/improvement over the Lifestragety series. Not only balanced index but the mix changes as it(fund) ages to its target date.

This is beyond couch potato - maybe sleeping couch potato!

I have no idea what my opinon on this is yet - still thinking.

unclemick,

sleeping couch potato is good for me! - The more I trade the worse it gets! :D

Also Unclemick, the fees are lower .23% vs. .28% for the life strategy funds!

I'm heading in that direction. I may go for the more growth version, as my time horizon is at least 30 years! I'm only 52.

Well - I'm INTJ - think act think or in my case think act worry.

Now my worry is how to model a sliding asset mix on FIREcalc or other planner. Perhaps I'll do think procrastinate worry until after all the relatives visit and leave over the holidays - I wonder if there is a couch potato version of INTJ.

I am 50 years old and not retired yet - but plan to within the next year or so.  I am an INFP.  I have read a lot of stuff on meyers briggs personality studies.

I think a lot of INTJ's are represented in the early retired because one of the strongest personality traits in an INTJ is their high need for INDEPENDENCE and AUTONOMY. (They also tend to be competitive and can come across as intellectually aloof and argumentative - but also have a drive to constantly improve everything - even other people and mostly themselves.)

As an INFP, I am not your typical ER (according to the "personality study". The only reasons I intend to "retire early" are: 1) I don't like my job. 2) I can, due to many years of savings and investing, and a generous buy-out of stock held in the company I work for. 3) I ain't getting any younger, have recently had some health problems relating to an injury, and have a more acute sense of my mortality.

I am single, have never been married, and have no kids or dependents. I want to feel completely free to do what I want to do.

Hello Toejam and others. Toejam, your brief
description of INTJs could be the shortest most accurate
summary of my personality ever written. I also agree
with your conclusions, both about INTJs being
"programmed" for early retirement, and about your individual decision to hang it up. BTW, I never had a
regular savings/investment program to amount to anything, have 3 kids and have been married my entire
adult life, except for 3 years. With a little more planning
and a little less baggage (than I had), I truly believe most anyone could ER. I did everything wrong and still made it.

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom