Retirement and the inevitable ‘side hustle’ for an antsy guy

Old shooter, I am glad your experience has been better. I actually don’t like the Red Cross at all. Anyone in the military will tell you that they don’t help service members. My Dad had a story from WW2 as did my ex when he was in Vietnam. I would never give them anything. I love the Salvation Army where the salaries are small and the money goes to help.
Yes. My uncle had exactly the same experience and stories from the Korean War. There was also some negative press more recently regarding how money was spent in Haiti.

So I went to talk to them (American Red Cross -- ARC) with a little bit of "alert" feelings, maybe even suspicion. Frankly, though, my evaluation of them from the perspective of a career in management is that they do an excellent job. An astonishing number of jobs are done by volunteers, including administrative and middle management jobs. Very economical. The other thing, I think, is that from the outside it does not look like a lot of the donations get to clients. That's really because of the way they work. For example, I landed in FL on November 1, 20 days after Michael made landfall. By that time, there had been 2,000 ARC volunteers (in roughly 2-week rotations) supporting relief efforts including opening and staffing shelters for victims. There were about 850 clients at the shelter I was assigned to. In addition to housing, feeding, and connecting clients into local support resources, all those volunteers had to be brought in, mostly flown in from all over the US, housed, fed, supported, etc. On October 31, IIRC the daily situation report said that ARC had provided 400,000 hot meals to survivors -- typically ones that are living in damaged homes, etc. (No typo; in the next few days the tally ran past a half-million.) ARC provides the food, the Southern Baptists cook it (https://www.newsherald.com/news/201...ontinues-for-southern-baptist-disaster-relief) , and ARC delivers it on neighborhood routes -- 100% with volunteers. I think I met two full time paid ARC people out of the couple of hundred ARC folks staffing our shelter. The number of moving parts was incredible. Case workers, shelter staff, medical staff, spiritual support, sick bays, computer & radio communications infrastructure, hospital beds and/or wheelchairs for some clients, etc. All volunteers. There was even a a kennel tent for clients' dogs.

Example: A day or two before I left for FL there was a story on NPR about a mayor who was bashing the Red Cross because a volunteer had promised 200 meals to people in his town and they never arrived. A mistake, yes, but at that point the ARC and the Baptists were preparing and delivering over 6,000 meals a day. A few mistakes are inevitable, but this context was not included in the story.

Sorry if this post is sort of a thread hijack, but ... BTDT and from my experience the ARC that I have seen is a pretty impressive outfit.

Depending on where the OP lives, a business license and an occupational tax payment could also be required along with a myriad of other potential local rules and regulations such as rules against operating a business out of the home. Probably not an issue but one that someone running a business from home has to at least consider.

If you don't have customers coming to your door, most don't apply and nobody even knows.

OP - Sounds like a lot of work.

Just put your profile on LinkedIn and you will get contract offers from headhunters nearly everyday.
You can connect your linkedIn page to your own outside website.
You should of course use your own domain for your email.

OS, thanks for the information. I might look into them after your information.

Ray, You and I sound similar in what we did for "the man" and that we liked it. But my approach since walking away from the W2 has been to make sure I DON'T make any money! Then it would become a j*b! I branched out into mobile development, something I'd never done working for the man. I consider myself pretty decent at it now. Better on Android than Apple, and didn't try Microsoft. As long as there's no money involved, it stays fun.

Oye, this makes me want to take a nap. :)

I don't think I am part of the retirement police (too much w*rk!), but if you maintain a LinkedIn profile...well...

Your hustle is my hassle. All the best, none for me thanks!

Has anyone mentioned Errors and Omissions Liability insurance? I had it for nearly 20 years of consulting.

is E&O a railroad? :LOL:

but yes, Ray if you want to consult, you need to get some E&O

If someone needs or wants continuing earnings, likely best to keep the job if you are not being let go.

I can't really see the purpose in quitting a job for a part-time job, whatever you choose to call this p.t. job.

Ha

If you were a developer, couldn't/shouldn't you go with what you know, vs starting in on something completely new? Also, if you want to work with WordPress, be a WP dev, not a designer. Design is a completely different area. Dev is the coding back-end stuff.

Any way, was your dev background in PHP? Anything web-related?

Ha, because I work on the computer for maybe 10 hours/week from anywhere in the world with internet. Can’t do that with my old job.

Ha, because I work on the computer for maybe 10 hours/week from anywhere in the world with internet. Can’t do that with my old job.
I see. Your primary interest is not earning, but in some earning with greater freedom. Makes sense.

Ha

Hey guys for me - an antsy guy... wish I could change the tittle to:

the inevitable side hustle for an antsy guy- Me
You had me chuckling with the OP. I figured three dozen replies by the time I got home, and it was 35!

Such controversy! And the forum police stopped by?

It will be fun--something to cross off your bucket list. The php and mysql will keep you interested. The ongoing project (don't call it work) will keep your mind engaged and growing.

Shared hosting and web maintenance can be tiresome, though. Still, beats rush hour traffic...

<b>“I can't really see the purpose in quitting a job for a part-time job, whatever you choose to call this p.t. job.”

Ha</b>

The difference is simple:
1) Great job but it was becoming too much like a production shop. I felt my creativity was being stymied.
2) While most of my less experienced colleagues were a delight to work with there were a few that more than tested my patience.
3) America is like space -vast. There are countless businesses out there with divergent needs. I love to learn.
4) Took a nap yesterday.. funny but thats frowned upon in the office.

Mostly because I’m having fun doing it -the money isn’t important.

Ray

Last edited:
Actually I got a chance to do something I have never done which is to teach a online college course. It’s so much fun!

That is how I saw my agency's offer of part-time work after I retired. Two days a week (around my schedule), only do the stuff I enjoy, no staff work to chase down (that's somebody else's headache now), and no performance appraisal to worry about and prepare for.

True, it comes with zero benefits, but OPM is my "employer" of record for benefits these days; everybody wins.

The hardest part for me, at first, was restraining myself from taking responsibility for everything going on around me in which I had any experience. That had been expected of me for decades, and was an ingrained habit I was glad to unlearn. I am, instead, allowed to sit in my corner and proffer "wise counsel" (which some people even listen to).

I see. Your primary interest is not earning, but in some earning with greater freedom. Makes sense.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom