RIP - Bill Russell

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
RIP - Bill Russell. 88 Years old.

Another icon gone.

NBA legend Bill Russell, an 11-time NBA champion with the Boston Celtics and the first Black head coach in the league, passed away "peacefully" Sunday, according to a family statement from his verified Twitter account. He was 88."It is with a very heavy heart we would like to pass along to all of Bill's friends, fans, & followers," the statement reads. "Bill Russell, the most prolific winner in American sports history, passed away peacefully today at age 88, with his wife, Jeannine, by his side. Arrangements for his memorial service will be announced soon.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/31/sport/bill-russell-nba-legend-dies-spt-intl/index.html

Great player for a great team.
My dad used to say that he shut down Chamberlain, which wasn't really true; just that Boston usually won.

Rip #6 (IIRC)

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching him and the Celtics play back in the day. May he RIP.

A GREAT player. I caught the tail end of his playing career growing up. His influence went beyond the court. RIP.

Twelve NBA finals, eleven Championships. First Black coach in any major sport. Courageous activism. I didn’t like him when I was a kid cuz I liked Wilt. Celtics were too dominant.

I read where college basketball changed goaltending rules after he graduated. Could you just stand under the basket and block it before then?

Twelve NBA finals, eleven Championships. First Black coach in any major sport. Courageous activism. I didn’t like him when I was a kid cuz I liked Wilt. Celtics were too dominant.

I read where college basketball changed goaltending rules after he graduated. Could you just stand under the basket and block it before then?

Actually I think it was changed in college coz of George Mikan, the first successful big center.

I was at Fenway Park today when they had a moment of silence for Bill Russell just before the national anthem.
This somehow was just before the major news sites got the story out...

Back
Top Bottom