RIP - Don Sutton

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hall of Fame right-hander Don Sutton, who won 324 games and struck out 3,574 batters over 23 seasons in the major leagues from 1966 to 1988, has died at the age of 75.
His son Daron revealed on Twitter that Sutton died in his sleep on Monday night.
Sutton spent the first 15 seasons of his career with the Los Angeles Dodgers, becoming the franchise's all-time leader with 233 wins. He also pitched for the Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland A's and California Angels before returning to the Dodgers for his final season.
Overshadowed by Hall of Famers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale when he first reached the majors in 1966, Sutton was perhaps best known for his durability and consistency. He never missed his turn in the rotation over 756 starts – the third-most all-time behind only Cy Young and Nolan Ryan

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-pitcher-and-broadcaster-dies-75/5975038002/

He never missed his turn in the rotation over 756 starts
That's an incredible stat. It ranks reasonably close to Ripken's consecutive game streak.

And, another one bites the dust.:(

In my young teens (think 1967 Red Sox) baseball was a passion.

We are losing those folks left and right, because we are all getting older.

Back then I knew all the names, from all the teams.

Times were different.

Times were different.

Yeah, I don't know if times have changed or I have changed. I just can't work up much interest in any pro sport anymore. Sad really. RIP Don.

I don't think I could name them all but I knew a bunch of them...And yes, I do remember Don... May he RIP.

Times were different.
:facepalm: Really, I hadn't noticed...:nonono:

That's an incredible stat. It ranks reasonably close to Ripken's consecutive game streak.
That's insanely incredible. Can't see it ever being topped, especially with the way pitchers are managed today. RIP Don.

Great baseball man....I miss baseball in the 1970's. Tommy's go to starter, he'd have been mine too.

A big part of the lineup in my glory days as a Dodgers fan. Seemed like a nice guy too. I've got his signature along with a lot of other Dodgers (plus Ernie Banks) on a ball from spring training back in the early 80s. I guess this is going to keep happening to the people that are 10/20/... older than me. Thank God for Betty White.

Sutton was a great finesse type pitcher that was a bulldog when he had the win in sight. One of the best pitchers of his time. RIP

Thank God for Betty White.

I hear you, but betting on the outlier is risky...... sadly, math predicts that chances are you (and I, and all of the rest of us!) will trend toward the average rather than the top 0.01% :(:cool:

Back
Top Bottom