RIP-Sidney Poitier

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
RIP-Sidney Poitier, 94 years old. Another icon gone.

Sidney Poitier, whose elegant bearing and principled onscreen characters made him Hollywood's first Black movie star and the first Black man to win the best actor Oscar, has died. He was 94.Clint Watson, press secretary for the Prime Minister of the Bahamas, confirmed to CNN that Poitier died Thursday evening.
Poitier overcame an impoverished background in the Bahamas and softened his thick island accent to rise to the top of his profession at a time when prominent roles for Black actors were rare. He won the Oscar for 1963's "Lilies of the Field," in which he played an itinerant laborer who helps a group of White nuns build a chapel.
Many of his best-known films explored racial tensions as Americans were grappling with social changes wrought by the civil rights movement. In 1967 alone, he appeared as a Philadelphia detective fighting bigotry in small-town Mississippi in "In the Heat of the Night" and a doctor who wins over his White fiancée's skeptical parents in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/07/entertainment/sidney-poitier-death/index.html

Liked some of his movies... Particularly, To Sir with Love.

RIP

Last edited:
He was an amazing actor. He more than held his own alongside other strong actors like Rod Steiger and Spencer Tracy.

Very sad. I loved his work, especially The Lilies of the Field. Honestly not sure whether his voice was dubbed in this or not.

I also like Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? I'm old enough to remember that it was controversial in its day.

Last edited:
My two favorite movies with him ... Blackboard Jungle and The Defiant Ones.

94 is a good life, and he lived a very good one.
May he rest in peace.

My two favorite movies with him ... Blackboard Jungle and The Defiant Ones.

The Defiant Ones was fantastic. So was Blackboard Jungle. What about A Patch of Blue with Shelley Winters?

An amazing talent. Will be missed.

One of very few actors that I can think of to have had a "hat trick" (3 well-made and hit movies) in one year, 1967, with To Sir with Love, In the Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Well done, sir.

RIP. A great actor, loved many of his movies. In addition to the dramas mentioned above, I also enjoyed his comedic roles in "Uptown Saturday Night" and "Let's Do It Again".

"In The Heat of The Night", the way he delivered the line "They call me Mister Tibbs!", was classic for that time.

Last edited:
Just watched "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner over Christmas. Was amazing to think that Spencer Tracy died two weeks after filming ended and interracial marriage was still illegal in a third of US states at the time. I really loved 'To Sir With Love'. He was a very distinguished actor. RIP.

"In The Heat of The Night", the way he delivered the line "They call me Mister Tibbs!", was classic for that time.

I don’t know the other actor’s name but there’s a scene where he slaps Poitier and gets slapped right back. Powerful!

Mr. Poitier was always a class act, onscreen and off.

He broke a lot of barriers and left behind a legacy of amazing work.

May he RIP.

I don’t know the other actor’s name but there’s a scene where he slaps Poitier and gets slapped right back. Powerful!

Extremely powerful! It was referred to as "the slap heard around the world."

Loved his movies and appeared to be a good man.

We just watched Lillies of the Field again last month. It’s one of my favorite movies.

“We build a shapel.”

“That’s very nice. What's a "shapel"?”
:LOL:

R.I.P. Mr. Poitier.

We just watched Lillies of the Field again last month. It’s one of my favorite movies.

“We build a shapel.”

“That’s very nice. What's a "shapel"?”
:LOL:

R.I.P. Mr. Poitier.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Lillies of the Field Movie. When that came out they showed it at our Catholic school. I think I was in 6th grade. The nuns/teachers at the school loved that movie.

In addition to his more celebrated roles, I really liked him in "Slender Thread." It's not one of his better known efforts ca 1965. What a great actor with a deserved long and distinguished career. RIP

One of very few actors that I can think of to have had a "hat trick" (3 well-made and hit movies) in one year, 1967, with To Sir with Love, In the Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Well done, sir.

+1 Those were my 3 favorites.

Here's a clip showing him winning an Oscar in 1964--with the gorgeous Anne Bancroft.

1967 also had Warren Beatty's Bonnie and Clyde, Cool Hand Luke, and my favorite film of all-time The Graduate. That was a great year for movies.

I wonder if folks have ever made a comparison of 1967 to 1939 (arguably, the best movie year ever.) There were some really great films in '67 as you mention (hey, don't forget "The Dirty Dozen.")

What a compliment to Sidney Poitier to be remembered for 3 of the best in one year - especially 1967. Personally, that was a great year for me. I was in the middle of my college c*reer, broke as I've ever been, steady GF, good grades, w*rking like a dog at manual l*bor. Doesn't get any better - well, until FIRE!

Returning you now...

I just now googled it; 1967 also saw the Bond film You Only Live Twice, Mel Brooks's The Producers, and let's not forget that forgettable Elvis movie Clambake (with perhaps one of his worst songs ever: "Do the Clam," released during the era of Sgt. Pepper).

Back
Top Bottom