Role of luck in life success

There is an element of luck in most success stories whether they be business,sports,whatever.
I always use baseball as a great example.Bases loaded 2 outs bottom of the ninth and the batter hits a blooper off the end of his bat that falls in and he is a hero....Vs.....The batter hits a frozen rope 400 foot line drive right at the centerfielder and he failed.

I got hired for my dream job at age 23. The company had standards for education and physical condition that were set in stone.

My education and physical exam fell just short of the rigid limits.
The man who evaluated my education said "Well, you're close enough", even though he had washed out of a similar program.
The doctor who evaluated me was about to retire, and said that my actual performance was good enough, and passed me.

Sure, I worked hard to just get in the door, and impressed the evaluators enough to give me a break. But I'd be a fool to say there wasn't a lot of luck involved.
I'm thankful.

I've alway found the harder I work, the luckier I get. I retired at the ripe old age of 46 in Southern California [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky to have hard working, LB even TM, & loving parents who were lowly educated but yet stressed education to me. They're the basis of all that I am - that's good.

I like Vince Lombardi's quote. Luck is the residue of design. I managed to break into my profession (television) by being in the right place at the right time. However, I took to the job and flourished due to the fact that I worked in sports and was a sports nut my whole life growing up. So, my take on this is that you need a little luck to get your foot in the door but its your own doing which A) puts you in position to be the recipient of getting a break and B) having the skill or brains to take advantage of that break.

Back
Top Bottom